R33c3

DIY deadlift form

Hi guys. I'm looking for help with deadlift form. I don't have a training partner nor a in-person trainer. As it stands now I think my form is ok, but I don't really have much strength, which makes me suspect I'm doing something wrong. 

Does anyone have any awesome guides for DIY deadlift form checking? Like, how should your body feel? How to account for different physiology? My previous trainer said my deadlift form was "weird" and that it kept me from growing, but he could t figure out how to fix it. (I fired him.)

Anything helps. Thanks!

Mark Rippetoe has been my form guide for when I need a form refresher - he has a whole host of vids on youtube and really can explain how you should be positioned for correct form through the movement. The one he does with Art of Manliness is really good too. 

• Upvote 1

Do your first set with very light weight and pay attention to your form.   The next sets increase the weight to the point where you can only accomplish 3 reps., try to copy your good form from the first set.

There are lots of good videos that can help you improve your form for deadlifts.  Practice good form and increase the weight, it sounds too simple but that is exactly the way to benefit from deadlifting.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AlMacArthur said:

I like this as a way in...

Great point, MacArthur. I have been doing these with little to no weight (have pulled 500+ before) but I feel my form and technique have improved in the past month while working these into my hamstring day.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, guys. After watching these videos I think it's clear that supertight hamstrings are my issue. Hopefully stretching and Romanian deadlifts will help. 

• Upvote 1

Hey R33c3 if you could send me a clip of you deadlifting I could help you out with form correction.
Also, I don't think the Romanian deadlifts would help too loosen up your hamstrings. That's an exercise that specifically works the hamstrings which is great, but ultimately tightens them because you're contracting the muscle. If you want to loosen up the hamstrings, I'd warm them up with some light cardio and bodyweight squats + jumps followed by some stretches.

Good luck!