Sign in to follow this  
CMiller

Fixed: Recently Posted Images Being Broken

Hello!

As some of you may have noticed some of the images posted on the site have become broken and were not displaying images correctly. This is due to a recent change that was not properly completed on my end. To explain this I need to explain how a certain feature on the site works. 

Since last year we've been using SSL and HTTPS to secure the site and your information, this brought up a unique problem. if an image was loaded not over HTTPS but rather HTTP it would cause the page to become "unsecure" even though the page was fully secured. The forum software that we use allows us to download any image that you post to the server, even if it's just a link, and serve it over HTTPS allowing the connection to continue to be secure and not throw any errors. To serve this data it needs some inputs from the server to check itself and make sure everything is okay. 

Now, two days ago, due to the popularity of the site and higher traffic numbers I moved the database (this is what stores all the text information) to a separate server, in doing this those inputs of information were changed and thus the server saw something went wrong breaking how the images were served. In consulting some support documentation I found that we needed to copy over some server keys to the new database, which has already been completed and fixed almost all of the images. 

In trying to do something better for the forum I inadvertently broke something, and for that I apologize for your degraded experience. 

Like I said, the problem has already been resolved, however if you posted any images in the last 48 hours from when this post has been made then those images are now broken and they'll have to be reposted. 

Once again I'm sorry for the trouble and hopefully everything is now fixed and working properly as it should be, if you find anything else broken please feel free to report it. 

• Upvote 6

Thank you for all your hard work, from all of us, I am sure!

Its admins like you, who sweat the details and are so concerned about their community's happiness, that make me wish there were more admins like you! thanks! as always!

• Upvote 1