Andrew's Recruiting Summer Chapter 6: The Ohio State Recruiting Visit Part 1

sl97aq

*FINALLY FINISHED*

On July 6th 2005, Andrew and Carrie woke up in each other's arms in their bed at the Comfort Inn off Glebe Road.

"Hey baby," Andrew greeted Carrie, stroking her face softly. "Did you have a good sleep?"

"I always do when I wake up in the arms of my big man," Carrie assured him with a big smile. As they got out of bed and hugged each other, she added, "It was another great day yesterday: meeting JP's parents."

"Yes it was Carrie," Andrew agreed as they got ready to have their shower. "You haven't felt ignored by me over the last two days, have you?"

"No Andrew," Carrie replied. "Don't forget, JP may have you during the day but you're mine at night."

Andrew smiled softly as they stepped into the shower. He and Carrie spent the next ten minutes hugging and kissing, as well as washing each other everywhere.  Carrie smiled as she felt the soft touch of Andrew's strong hands and she couldn't wait until they went all the way one day.

After their shower, Andrew and Carrie dried each other off and then Andrew shaved while Carrie brushed her teeth. Then, while Andrew brushed his teeth, Carrie got dressed and then started packing their bags while Andrew got dressed.

"Always showing off by wearing your football t-shirt Andrew," Carrie teased him.

"Hey, football-related clothes are all I brought since this is a Recruiting Road Trip," Andrew reminded her. As they headed out of the room, he added, "You're right though Carrie, I am doing it to show off; the modest answer is just for the coaches I'll meet this week."

"So you're just pretending to be modest; you're actually enjoying being a cocky jock," Carrie realized with a big grin.

"Oh yeah girl, I've been waiting for this Recruiting Summer for seven years," Andrew informed her with a cocky smirk as they went downstairs for breakfast.

Carrie grinned back at him: pleased that her boyfriend wouldn't act too shy during all the recruiting visits that lay ahead of him.

=================================================================================================================================================

Meanwhile, at JP's house, he and Matt woke up, from the bed and air mattress respectively.

"Today's the Big Day Matt," JP said, smiling at his boyfriend.

"The first of many for you," Matt said, returning JP's smile with one of his own. "I'm very happy for you."

"Thanks Matt," JP said gratefully, hugging his boyfriend gently with his muscular arms. "Let's have our shower and then go downstairs for breakfast. Andrew should be arriving in about 90 minutes."

Matt nodded his head in agreement and they headed into the washroom together.

Once they were done their shower, they got dressed, shaved and went downstairs where JP's parents were cooking breakfast.

"Good morning JP," his dad Paul greeted him. "Are you ready for the Big Day today?"

"More like a Big Week Dad, considering that there are more recruiting visits after today," JP corrected him with a smirk. "And then we get to go to Andrew's hometown and meet his parents and football teammates."

"I stand corrected JP, and that's because I keep forgetting that you're a genius," Paul said seriously.

"So is Andrew Dad," JP informed him, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

"Yes, tell me more about your new 'Big Brother': something we didn't learn last night," Maureen suggested.

So, while they ate their breakfast, JP told his parents and Matt everything he and Andrew had talked about at school and on the way home, with one exception. JP kept the news about Andrew becoming Skype Buddies with Ryan to himself.

=================================================================================================================================================

After Andrew and Carrie finished eating breakfast with Mike in the hotel dining room, they headed back upstairs to pack.

"Don't forget your football jacket Andrew," Carrie said, handing it to him from the closet.

"Thanks Carrie," Andrew said, putting his jacket on and then closing his suitcase. "Well I'm all packed; how about you?"

"Yes I am Big Man; let's collect Mike and then check out," Carrie suggested.

So Andrew and Carrie put their luggage in the hall, put their hotel keys in their pockets, and then locked the door behind them. Mike stepped out of his room with his football jacket on and his suitcase in his hand.

"Let's check out Andrew and then we can go collect your new best friend for the road trip to Ohio State," Mike said, looking slightly jealous.

"He may be my new friend, but you're my best friend Mike," Andrew assured him, as they headed downstairs.

Mike grinned at Andrew as they reached the lobby: pleased that his huge friend always knew what to say to make him feel better.

After they checked out, the three teens headed to Andrew's truck and put their luggage in the back. Then they drove to JP's house to pick up him and Matt for the road trip to Ohio State.

Meanwhile, at JP's house, he and Matt finished eating breakfast with JP's parents.

"We'll wash the dishes JP; you and Matt get upstairs and finish packing," Maureen ordered them. "Andrew should be here within the next half hour."

JP grinned at that piece of news and took Matt upstairs where they could finish packing their bags.

"Don't forget your District Finalist Medal JP," Matt reminded him with a smile.

"I just wish it was a District Championship Medal," JP grumbled, remembering his dad's comments on the same subject the night before.

"Don't worry about it JP; you'll win the State Championship next wrestling season," Matt assured him.

JP grinned at his boyfriend; pleased that Matt knew what to say to make him feel better.

"Well here we are Carrie," Andrew said, as he pulled his truck into JP's driveway.

5955b377e2377_AndrewsUsed2001DodgeRam2500Truck.thumb.jpg.3bf1c5da848dfe8981294994a20034db.jpg

He got out, went around the truck and opened her door. "Let's go inside and collect JP and Matt."

"Wait a minute Andrew; aren't you forgetting something?" Carrie asked, holding up his football jacket.

Andrew had taken it off and left it in the back seat beside Mike.

"Oh yeah," Andrew realized, scratching the back of his head and looking embarrassed.

"You're still shy about wearing it, aren't you Andrew?" Carrie asked him as he put it on.

"Yeah, and it's too hot outside to wear it in the summer," Andrew replied. 

"You're the one who's too hot: for me," Carrie teased him, as they walked up the walkway to the front door.

Andrew smiled at her and squeezed her hand gently and Carrie smiled back.

"Hey Andrew," JP said as he opened the front door. "Come on in and you can help me finish packing."

"Aren't you done yet JP?" Andrew teased him. "You've had half the morning to do it!"

"I've finished most of it, but I may have forgotten a few things," JP admitted, leading Andrew, Mike and Carrie inside.

"Let's go upstairs and find out," Andrew decided, waving to JP's parents. Mike and Carrie stayed downstairs with Matt, while Andrew followed JP upstairs. "Did you write a list?" Andrew asked, as they walked down the hall to JP's room.

"Yes and I checked it twice," JP teased him, pointing to the suitcase on the bed.

"Very funny JP, but you have gifts; you don't give them away!" Andrew laughed.

"Stop it man; you're embarrassing me," JP muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Am I really JP?" Andrew asked him, his grin fading into a serious look. When JP nodded, Andrew realized something. "I get it; you only act confident around crowds so that you can maintain the image of a cocky jock."

"You're right Andrew, except for one thing," JP said, picking up the list. "I prefer to think of myself as a confident athlete instead of a cocky jock."

"I can understand why, considering all that you told me last night about your older brother," Andrew realized.

"Yes Andrew; I may want to be bigger than him in size but not attitude," JP stated firmly.

"Good point JP," Andrew said. "So, not to change the subject or anything, but what's left on your list to pack?"

"My passport, Varsity Jacket and District Finalist Medal," JP replied.

"Then pack them; I can see your medal hanging from the bedpost," Andrew ordered him. "I'll be waiting."

JP retrieved his Varsity Jacket from the closet, after taking it out of its garment bag and then he retrieved his passport from his top dresser drawer. He then put his District Finalist Medal in one pocket of his jacket, put the passport in the other, and buttoned up both pockets. Then he put on his jacket, adjusted it in the mirror, closed his suitcase and put on his backpack. Then he followed Andrew downstairs to say goodbye to his parents. He promised to call them each night and then followed Andrew outside to his truck. He put his luggage in the backseat, waved goodbye to Matt as he got into JP's car with Mike and Carrie and then got into the passenger seat of Andrew's truck.

"This is it JP," Andrew said, as he started up his truck. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah Andrew: I packed all the contact information for the wrestling coaches at each school we're going to. It's great that I'm going on Unofficial Visits before my Junior Year."

"That gives you an early advantage JP; don't blow it by choking someone out like you did last night," Andrew advised him. JP nodded soberly and Andrew asked, "Have you traced out our route yet?"

"Yes Andrew, using my 2005 Michelin Road Atlas," JP replied, holding it up as Andrew backed out of the driveway.

"Good, then you have the most updated version," Andrew realized as they headed down the street.

"Yes Andrew," JP agreed. "We head northwest until we get to I-70. Then we take it westbound to I-68 and then to Morgantown where we can stop for lunch."

"Good plan JP; that way we can avoid the DC traffic," Andrew realized. "Then I won't get mad like I did yesterday."

"Good point Andrew, so let's talk about something else," JP decided. He waited for Andrew to nod in agreement before asking, "When did your football recruiting start?"

"In Grade Nine, when Coach Everson started sending footage of my games to college coaches," Andrew replied. "It also helped that I made Varsity my first year and got my Varsity Football Jacket halfway through the season. Once the season was over, I had earned my Varsity Letter, which my parents put on my jacket for Christmas that year."

"You're wearing that Letter Jacket now," JP noted.

"That's because we're in an air-conditioned truck JP," Andrew reminded him with a chuckle.

"Okay, I revealed my gift for stating the obvious again," JP realized with an embarrassed grin. Andrew smirked and nodded in agreement. "Getting back to your football recruiting, when did you first make contact with the NCAA football coaches?"

"In Grade Nine, when my older friends Rick and Carl invited me along on their recruiting visits," Andrew replied. "I got to see a lot of schools and met the coaches unofficially."

"Because the NCAA doesn't limit contact with the coaches if the athlete initiates it."

"A fact that will help you make contact with the wrestling coaches this week," Andrew reminded him with an encouraging grin. JP nodded in agreement and then Andrew continued his story. "Last season, when I had become Starting Center, Coach Everson invited the college football coaches up to see my games."

"Did they see you get suspended after you punched out David?" JP asked suddenly.

"No JP, but they heard about it," Andrew explained soberly. "But they also heard how I was provoked, so Coach Everson was able to convince them to come back up for the Provincial Playoffs and the Championship Game. Even though we lost due to a blocked field goal in the last second, the college coaches were still impressed enough by my performance that they invited me to lots of Spring Football Camps. So I met even more coaches there, impressed them with my performance and got invites for unofficial visits this summer."

"And the first one starts later today at The Ohio State University," JP reminded him with a big grin.

"Yeah, and that happened because the college football coaches were allowed to start calling me directly in May," Andrew said smugly. "So on May 24th Weekend, I was swarmed by calls from coaches who had seen my skills at the Spring Football Camps. They also visited my high school, at least the Offensive Line Coaches did, and set up these Unofficial Visits with the help of my Head Football Coach: Coach Everson."

"Will I get to meet him?" JP suddenly asked.

"Yeah man, I'd be glad to introduce you to my coach, since you took me to meet yours," Andrew offered.

"Thanks Andrew," JP said gratefully. "You know, Coach Palmer, Ryan's old coach, was actually evaluating your skills to line up some more recruiting visits for you this summer."

"That makes sense; he'd have a lot more contacts in the NCAA than my coach would, seeing as how he helped Ryan get into Virginia Tech."

"I don't want to talk about Ryan," JP growled. "I'd rather talk about what was on the kitchen counter behind your dad when we had our chat on Skype last night."

"What was that man?" Andrew asked curiously.

"I saw a lot of mail addressed to you from Division 1 schools in the Deep South," JP replied. "At just a glance, I saw the names Clemson, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Arkansas, A&M and Texas."

"Good eyes JP; I must have missed those letters," Andrew admitted. "I guess that means that Coach Everson and my dad will arrange more Unofficial Visits for me this month. I have this month off from both the store and the Reserves so that I can focus on football recruiting."

"Hey Andrew, I just realized something," JP said. Andrew looked over at him and JP asked, "Weren't the coaches allowed to start visiting you on July 1st?"

"Yes JP, and that's why I was away on these first visits," Andrew said. "I needed some breathing room from all the phone calls over the past six weeks."

"But what happens when you're back home?" JP asked him. "I'm sure your coach told the college coaches when you'll be back in town so that they can visit you at home."

"Oh no!" Andrew sighed. "You're right man; I didn't even think of that!"

"What do you mean you didn't think of that Andrew?" JP asked with a chuckle. "I thought you were supposed to be a genius like me!"

"If you're so smart, tell me how I'm supposed to show you around Orillia if I'm so busy with recruiters when we get back!" Andrew snapped.

"Easy: I'll be right there with you, even if we see them at the mall or Webers," JP replied with a cocky smirk.

"Okay JP, you win this battle of wits," Andrew said with a grin. "But let's see who gets more offers from the coaches: you or me."

"I can't get any; football coaches will be visiting you, not wrestling coaches!" JP laughed, amused at Andrew's mistake.

"I meant after the coaches we're going to meet this week at Midwest schools," Andrew informed him with a smirk.

JP grinned as he realized that Andrew had outsmarted him and they continued laughing and joking until they stopped for lunch in Morgantown, West Virginia.

"Hey Matt: long time no see," JP teased his boyfriend, as they walked into the Five Guys at the corner of Route 705 and Stewart Street.

"Yeah JP; that's what happens when you spend all your time with your new mentor," Matt teased him.

"What's the matter Matt: are you jealous?" JP taunted him, putting an arm around Andrew's massive shoulders.

"Naw man; Andrew's only yours during the day," Matt replied quietly so that no one else could hear. JP nodded soberly and Matt decided to lighten the mood. "How did I know you'd pick a Five Guys Restaurant to eat at?"

"Hey, they're the only ones who make burgers big enough for my appetite," JP bragged with a smirk.

"You haven't seen Andrew's appetite yet JP," Mike informed him.

"Yeah Andrew; how many burgers can you eat in five minutes?" JP asked him.

"I'll show you in a few days at Webers man," Andrew promised him, as they stood behind their friends in the order line.

JP nodded in agreement, and they soon placed their orders and sat down to wait for their numbers to be called. Once that happened, they sat back down at their table and began eating.

"Do any of you have any Ohio State Merchandise?" Andrew asked suddenly.

"No man, but maybe we'll get some during this visit," JP replied; suddenly thinking of the perfect birthday present for Matt.

Andrew nodded in agreement and smiled quietly as he noticed JP staring lovingly at Matt.

Just like me and Carrie; they're madly in love, Andrew realized. That's great.

During their lunch, the five friends chatted about their upcoming visit to Ohio State: wondering what it would be like for each of them.

"You know Mike, when we get to Ohio State, we should ask Coach Tressel if we're going to have to perform some football drills for him," Andrew suddenly said.

"We're going to meet the Head Football Coach?" Mike asked in surprise.

"Of course Mike; who did you think we'd meet: the cheerleaders?" Andrew asked incredulously. "Didn't you read the itinerary; the Unofficial Visit is the best contact on campus with the Head Coach that a recruit gets!"

"I guess I must have missed that part Andrew; I was just so excited about this visit," Mike said, "Sorry about that Big Guy."

"It's Huge Guy to you Little Man." Andrew teased him. When Mike glared at him, Andrew laughed and said, "Don't look at me like that; you're supposed to be smarter than me!"

"Okay Andrew, and I'm going to prove it by reading the Itinerary Coach Tressel sent me right now," Mike said, taking it out of his pocket. He read a few lines and then said, "You were right Andrew: Coach Tressel has set up some football drills for us with the Starting Offense of the Ohio State Buckeyes!"

Andrew suspected that Mike had made a mistake speaking so loudly when he suddenly noticed some big guys in West Virginia Football jackets approaching their table.

"You should have said that louder Mike; I don't think all the Mountaineers players heard you," Andrew muttered in frustration. Mike looked around and his eyes widened. "I'll take care of this Mike," Andrew assured him, standing up to his full height. The players approaching the table hesitated slightly, but then the biggest guy with number 99 on the back of his jacket pushed his way to the front of the crowd. "Yes, can I help you with something?" Andrew asked, noticing that the big guy was just a few inches shorter than he was.

"Your friend has a big mouth," the big guy said. "He should be more careful talking about opposing teams so freely around here."

"Sorry about that man; he just got a little too excited about our upcoming recruiting visits this week," Andrew apologized.

"So what high school do you guys play for; I haven't seen you around here before," the big guy said, taking note of Andrew and Mike's football jackets.

"We play for ODCVI: one of three high schools in Orillia, Ontario, Canada," Andrew replied.

"Orillia," the big guy repeated thoughtfully. "Hey, you're Andrew Pearson!"

"That's me," Andrew confirmed quietly, suppressing a groan at being recognized because of his YouTube highlight videos. "So, what's your name?"

"My name is Ernest Hunter, Starting Defensive Lineman for the West Virginia Mountaineers," the big guy replied proudly.

"Hey, I've heard of you too, on scout.com," Andrew realized. "And I've seen your videos as well; you're an awesome defensive lineman man, especially last season when you helped WVU win the Sugar Bowl over Georgia. Congratulations on that big win you guys."

Everyone in the restaurant cheered and Mike breathed a sigh of relief as the players gathered around the table, chatting with them and comparing notes on their respective seasons last year.

By the time they left the restaurant half an hour later, Andrew, Mike and JP had made some new friends from the Mountaineers and had been given the contact information for the Head Football and Wrestling Coaches.

"There we go JP; we've made some more contacts for a WVU visit later this month," Andrew realized, tucking Coach Rich Rodriguez's card into his wallet. He turned to Mike before they got into their vehicles and added, "If it wasn't for your slip-up in there Mike, we never would have made contacts like that today."

"What if I told you that it wasn't a slip-up Andrew?" Mike asked him with a small grin.

"Nice try Mike, but even you aren't that smart," Andrew informed him. "I saw the shocked look on your face when those WVU players approached our table; you didn't notice them before that anymore than I did."

"Okay Andrew, you called my bluff," Mike admitted. "But getting back to what we were talking about before the WVU players approached our table, you were right: the coaches have a lot more time with the recruits on the Unofficial Visits because they are in the summer, not football season."

"Then the Head Coaches can use their evaluations of you to see if they want you to come down for Official Visits in the fall," Carrie realized.

Andrew nodded in agreement, kissed her goodbye and then got back into his truck with JP.

"That went much better than I thought it would Andrew; I was really scared with so many huge guys approaching our table," JP admitted, as Andrew started up the truck.

"I wasn't worried JP; I could have taken all of them with one hand tied behind my back," Andrew bragged, as they pulled out of the parking lot.

JP laughed at Andrew's cocky attitude and they soon reached Interstate 79, which they took north towards Interstate 70. Then they turned west for Columbus and the Ohio State University.

"Well, if the West Virginia Football Coach wasn't coming to Orillia before, he certainly will be now," JP suddenly realized.

"I think you're right man; Hunter probably already texted him about meeting me," Andrew said, looking slightly embarrassed. "I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all the attention that my YouTube videos are getting."

"How else do you expect to get NCAA exposure from all the way up in Canada?" JP asked him in surprise. "High school football isn't nearly as big in Canada as it is down here; if you hadn't taken drastic steps, the NCAA would never have noticed you!"

"You're right JP, now that Andrew the Tank is online, he'll be swarmed by football coaches like bees swarm honey!" Andrew shouted in excitement. He noticed JP laughing and asked, "What, you don't like my Cocky Jock Act?"

"Yes I do Andrew, but how about sharing some of that limelight with me?" JP asked him seriously. "I noticed that you didn't even mention me to the West Virginia players; you just bragged about you and Mike!" When Andrew looked over at him with a raised eyebrow, JP worried that he had made his huge friend mad. "You could always give Hunter and his coach my contact information; then they could invite me for an Unofficial Visit."

"The limelight is like power JP: no one's going to share it with you," Andrew warned him with a glare. "The limelight is something you take!"

"I'll remember that Andrew," JP assured him.

"Make sure you do Little Man," Andrew growled. JP looked at him with a worried expression and Andrew allowed a small grin to appear on his face. "I'm just kidding man; you keep thinking I'm mad at you."

"I find it safer to take a big guy like you seriously," JP said quietly. 

"Hey, I told you before: it's 'Huge Guy' little man!" Andrew mock-growled.  He noticed JP grinning and laughed. "I'm glad I don't really scare you, or if I do, you keep it to yourself."

"It's the latter, though I wish it was the former," JP admitted reluctantly.

"Don't feel bad JP; it can't be easy being around someone who outweighs you by more than 100 pounds of solid muscle," Andrew realized.

"No it's not Andrew, but at least you don't act like Ryan," JP reminded him.

Andrew nodded soberly and they both remained silent until they reached the Ohio State Welcome Center.

20160816_163549.thumb.jpg.3830bf2b8c42424ca9820ebb5b39f116.jpg

"You look nervous Andrew; what's bothering you?" JP asked him.

"I just realized that this recruiting visit is going to be all about me," Andrew replied, without even a trace of a smile.

"Gee, someone has a high opinion about himself," JP teased him. His grin faded as he realized that Andrew wasn't smiling at all. "Calm down Andrew; this is what you wanted and what you have worked for over the past six years."

"You're right, as usual JP," Andrew agreed with a grateful smile. "But what I meant to add was that I'm lucky that I was able to bring Mike along as my guest to these recruiting visits."

"Yeah, I meant to ask you Andrew: where are your other teammates?"

"Ralph and Connor are on their own recruiting visits at other NCAA schools," Andrew replied. He grinned proudly and added, "I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that, since they are the Starting Quarterback and Wide Receiver respectively. It's good to know that attending all those football camps together this spring had the desired effect."

"Yeah, it let the NCAA football coaches judge your skills against other recruits and now you're getting Unofficial Recruiting Visits," JP said.

"Yeah, and I came out on top, at least for the Offensive Line," Andrew said proudly. "Steve, Darrel and Phil didn't mention that they had any Unofficial Visits planned for this summer."

"So does that mean that you are the only one besides your two proteges who got invitations for Unofficial Visits?" JP asked him in surprise.

"That's right man," Andrew replied with a cocky smirk. "I'm a God on the Gridiron and now these schools have realized that they have to worship The Master!"

JP laughed, knowing that Andrew was only pretending to be a cocky jock, but inwardly he was pleased that he had managed to shake Andrew out of his Shell of Shyness. Andrew grinned back at him, having finally realized what JP was up to.

"What is our itinerary for the Ohio State Recruiting Visit?" JP asked Andrew.

"I don't know yours; only mine JP," Andrew reminded him with a smirk. "I do know that my itinerary tomorrow involves a tour of Ohio Stadium, where Coach Tressel will put me through strength tests on the football field. Then I'll have lunch and get a tour of the campus."

"You know how you mentioned that there were not enough weight plates in my home gym to bring you up to your maximum bench-press of 800 pounds?" JP asked him, looking down at Andrew's itinerary paper. Andrew nodded. "I think you might get to show off your great strength in the Buckeyes' weight room during your tour tomorrow. Coach Tressel is arranging everything, including a meeting with the University President. She is quite a football fan herself apparently, so Coach Tressel promised her that she could conduct your tour of the campus herself."

Andrew's jaw dropped in astonishment at that revelation. JP grinned: pleased that his huge friend would be getting such a great start to his Recruiting Summer.

After Andrew and JP had finished their itinerary review, they got into Andrew's truck and headed down the interstate southwest towards Columbus and the Ohio State University.

"Why didn't Mike, Carrie and Matt meet us at the Welcome Center?" JP asked Andrew.

"After all the trouble that Mike almost caused in Morgantown, he was probably afraid of running into any Ohio State football players," Andrew guessed. He looked over at JP and noticed him smirking. "Besides, do you really care? You and Mike never got along anyway."

"That's because of what he did yesterday at Burke Lake Park!" JP snapped.

"Yeah, that wasn't nice of him: picking you up without your permission and then trying to ruffle your hair when I ordered him to set you down," Andrew agreed. He noticed JP's angry look and wisely decided to change the subject. "But I think there's a better reason that those three didn't meet us at the Ohio State Welcome Center."

"What's that Andrew?" JP asked curiously.

"Mike is meeting the Offensive Coordinator: Coach Bollman, and Carrie will be meeting the Girl's Hockey Coach," Andrew replied.

"Well, that would explain the difference in their meeting times relative to ours," JP realized. "Does that mean that Mike won't meet the Head Coach like you will?"

"That's right JP," Andrew confirmed with a smug grin. "Since I would have saved the game for us last season if my broken rib hadn't hindered me, I am the Blue Chip Recruit for my high school."

"Good thing muscle weighs so much man, or you'd float out of the truck thanks to that swelled head of yours," JP teased him.

"Shut up JP!" Andrew laughed, giving him a playful shove. "You didn't let me tell you the more modest reason that I get to meet Coach Tressel and Mike doesn't."

"Okay Andrew: what is it?" JP asked, looking at his watch as if bored.

"Because I'm a Co-Captain of my football team, I get to meet the Head Coach, just like the Quarterback and the Running Back would," Andrew replied. "The big guys that play on the Offensive and Defensive Lines don't usually get as much attention from college recruiters as the players who make the big fancy plays."

"So you had to really market yourself, and not just with YouTube, to get noticed by the college coaches early enough to get scholarship chances," JP suddenly realized.

"That's right JP," Andrew confirmed. "So you see now that I'm not really a cocky jock; I just act like one sometimes."

JP grinned and Andrew did as well, as he wondered what his first Unofficial Recruiting Visit would be like.

Once they got to Columbus, they checked into their hotel and took their luggage up to their rooms.

"I see Carrie has already arrived," Andrew said, as he noticed her bags on the double bed in their room.

"Good eyes Andrew," JP teased him from the hallway.

"You got your luggage in your room?" Andrew asked, as he set his bag beside Carrie's on the bed.

"Yeah Andrew; Matt and I share a room and Mike has one down the hall," JP replied, as Andrew locked the door.

"Fine JP; let's go and get this Recruiting Visit over with," Andrew grumbled sarcastically, leading the way down the hall.

"Sure thing Andrew; I know it was a very long and boring drive to get here," JP teased him, as they started down the stairs.

"Very funny man; thanks for calming me down with your humour," Andrew said gratefully, as they crossed the lobby.

"You're welcome Andrew," JP said, as they walked to Andrew's truck. As they got in, he added, "I have the Ohio State Campus Map so that we know where to meet the coaches."

"And where is that JP?" Andrew asked.

"In front of Ohio Stadium," JP replied, looking down at the itinerary in his hands. "It's too late to go inside the stadium today, but it looks like Coach Tressel has scheduled a stadium tour for tomorrow morning. You already ordered the tickets, right?"

"Yeah, because the coaches can't pay for anything on an Unofficial Visit," Andrew replied. "That's why I circled the Ohio Union South Garage on the campus map; we'll park there and walk across The Oval to get to the stadium."

"That's true, and it was very clever of you driving to these schools so that you spent less money than if you had flown," JP congratulated him.

"Thanks man, and if I had flown, I never would have met you, nor would I be able to drive you to these schools now," Andrew reminded him.

"Yeah, it's amazing all the things that lined up so that we could meet each other," JP said. "Maybe it was Fate."

"To quote Sarah Connor, 'There's no fate but what we make,' so I don't believe in Fate," Andrew said firmly.

"Okay Andrew," JP said,, mostly to placate his huge friend. Then he suddenly realized something. "You're acting tough so that you won't feel nervous, aren't you?"

"Yes I am JP," Andrew said, not feeling reluctant about being completely honest with his friend. "Just don't tell anyone, okay?"

"I won't Andrew; I wouldn't want you to beat me up," JP teased him.

"I wouldn't do that JP, but I would refrain from telling any more college wrestling coaches about you," Andrew said seriously.

JP looked over at him in surprise and realized that Andrew wasn't joking. He nodded soberly and thought about the reception that awaited him at Ohio State University.

DSC01078.JPG

Once they got to Ohio State, they found the Ohio Union South Parking Garage and got their parking stub from the attendant. Then they got out of Andrew's truck with their itineraries and other recruiting paperwork and headed out of the parking garage. They walked slowly towards Ohio Stadium, admiring the view along the way.

"I didn't know they had a school named after John Glenn on this campus," Andrew said in surprise.

DSC01079.JPG

"Neither did I," JP said, as they began to cross The Oval.

DSC01081.JPG

"Hey look Andrew: it's the Mershon Auditorium, where I will wrestle if I come here." 

DSC01080.JPG

"Actually JP, I don't think there is any Wrestling done in that building; they show plays there," Andrew corrected him, holding up the Ohio State Campus Guide.

"Why do you always have to be such a genius Andrew?" JP snapped in fake exasperation.

"Because I'm a Smart Jock, not a dumb one JP," Andrew reminded him with a smirk.

"Shut up Andrew!" JP laughed, giving his huge friend a playful shove.

"Any time you want to make me, you know where I am," Andrew warned him with a playful grin. He looked ahead of them and an excited grin appeared on his face. "But we're approaching the part of our journey where we split up; look."

JP followed his pointing finger and grinned as he saw Ohio Stadium ahead of them.

DSC01085.JPG

"So I guess this is where we part ways for this evening," JP realized, noticing the Head Wrestling Coach (Hellickson) waiting with Coach Tressel in front of the stadium entrance.

"That's right JP; text me when you're done with your coach and we'll arrange a meeting time and place then," Andrew ordered him, slapping him on the back lightly.

"Stay super Bro," JP said, holding up his fist for a bump. Andrew gave him a fist bump and JP yelled, "See you later Andrew!"

Andrew waved goodbye as JP walked off with his (hopefully) future coach and stepped forward to greet Coach Tressel under the shadow of Ohio Stadium's entrance.

DSC01086.JPG

"Welcome to The Ohio Stadium Mr. Pearson," Coach Tressel said, holding out his right hand.

"Thank you Coach; it's good to be here," Andrew said, shaking his hand gently. "Please call me Andrew."

"Then please call me Jim or James," Coach Tressel said. "Actually, my full name is James Patrick Tressel, so you could call me JP."

"That would get confusing Sir, since my friend there is also called JP," Andrew informed him, pointing to JP.

"Call me James then," Coach Tressel decided. "It's less formal than Coach, but more formal than Jim."

"If we used just your first and last initials, I could call you JT," Andrew informed him.

"That could be code when you're back home, so that you won't make any of your teammates jealous," Coach Tressel agreed. "But for right now, call me James."

"Sure thing James," Andrew agreed, taking out his tour itinerary. "So, what is our first event this evening?"

"We only have one event this evening Andrew: supper at a local restaurant that our football team hangs out at," James replied. He grinned when he noticed Andrew's look of excitement and added, "One suitable for Underage players of course, so I picked Varsity Pizza."

"Is that because you've heard all about my legendary pizza football parties?" Andrew asked him with a big grin.

"Quite right Andrew, so let's walk back to your truck and you can drive us to the restaurant," James decided.

"You can't drive us?" Andrew asked curiously.

"Any freebies we give you on an Unofficial Visit could be an infraction that the NCAA could punish us for," James informed him seriously. "We don't want to lose valued recruits like you by violating any recruiting rules." He noticed Andrew looking worried and added, "Don't worry Andrew: on your Official Visit, we're allowed to pull out all the stops and show you all the perks of being an Ohio State Buckeye."

"What exactly does 'pull out all the stops' mean?" Andrew asked, leading the way to the parking garage where his truck was.

"As far as your Official Visit, it means that we pull out the blocks that serve as the emergency brake for the Buckeye Jet that will bring you here in the fall," James replied with a big smile. Andrew laughed and James added, "Seriously though, it means that we will do everything we can, within the rules of course, to make your Official Visit successful."

"So that I will sign with you?" Andrew asked. James nodded enthusiastically. "Will other schools that I visit this summer do the same?"

"Yes they will Andrew, but only five of them can bring you down for an Official Visit in the fall," James replied, as Andrew led them across The Oval. "So the schools you visit this summer will do everything they can to make you choose them as one of your top five picks. Some of them may even offer you everything but the kitchen sink to make sure that you pick them." He noticed Andrew looking nervous and assured him, "It's okay Andrew: this is what you've been waiting for and it's the dream of every high school football player to be so heavily recruited by the NCAA."

"I had no idea the recruiting process was so intense," Andrew said.

"College football is big business in America Andrew, and every NCAA football school wants to build a winning team that will win them a National Championship. And lots of high school football players that get recruiting visits want to join a school that will serve as a launching pad for the NFL."

"I had no idea about any of this, even though my coach tried to prepare me," Andrew said. "I must admit that I feel a bit overwhelmed."

"Just wait until you see the reception that awaits you at Varsity Pizza," James advised him with a knowing grin.

Andrew grinned as they approached the Ohio Union South Parking Garage and his nervousness began to fade away. "Will we get to talk more about my future at the pizza place?"

"Yes Andrew, and also about the past that brought you here," James assured him. "We can also find out if any mistakes from the past have the potential to disrupt that future."

"You're talking about the two game suspension I earned last season," Andrew realized, as he showed his parking stub to the attendant. James nodded and Andrew said, "I don't regret defending my grandpa's honour by punching David out, but I do regret that it cost the team my presence on the field for two weeks."

"Perhaps we should talk more about that on the way to the restaurant and get it out of the way," Jame suggested, noticing Andrew's face clouding with rage at the bad memories.

"And then we can talk about more positive things: like my performance in Spring Football Camp that led to this visit?" Andrew asked as he led the way to his truck.

"That's right Andrew, and I was very impressed by your performance, which is why I invited you down for this visit," James informed him. Andrew grinned and James asked, "Can you guess why I had you book two nights at the hotel?"

"So that I would have one full day here?" Andrew guessed. James nodded. "Why is that Sir?"

"Because in the morning I will show you all the football facilities, including Ohio Stadium and the Buckeyes Weight Room," James replied. Andrew grinned with excitement and James added, "In the afternoon, I will get the Dean of Business to show you around the academic buildings in the Faculty of Business, since you want to major in Business Management."

"With an emphasis on Sports Management Sir," Andrew informed him. "After I am done with the NFL, hopefully decades from now, I want to rejoin Mr. Harrington's company and become the CEO one day."

"Mr. Harrington must think very highly of you since he didn't fire you for punching out his son."

"David may be his son, but only by birth," Andrew said smugly. "Mr. Harrington has told me many times that I'm like the son that he always wished he had. Of course, since David got himself kicked out of military school, and then fired from the Reserves and his dad's company, it's no surprise that Mr. Harrington looked elsewhere for someone to show fatherly pride to."

"That's a very succinct story Andrew, but we've reached your truck now," James informed him. Andrew looked down and saw that they were standing beside his blue 2001 four door Dodge Ram truck. "Tomorrow night during supper, I will give you my impressions of this visit and whether or not you will be offered an Official Visit in the fall." Andrew grinned as he unlocked his truck door, and went to get in. "One more thing before we go to the restaurant Andrew; put on your Varsity Football Jacket."

"Okay Sir," Andrew said, taking it out of the back seat. "Not that I'm complaining, but why do you want me to wear it?"

"Wearing your jacket will help attract the attention of any Ohio State football players that might be at the restaurant tonight."

"And why would we want to attract their attention?" Andrew asked with a grin, as he unfolded his jacket. He suspected some kind of surprise, but he decided to let James tell him what it was.

"I need to decide who will be your student guide during your Official Visit in the fall," James informed him.

Andrew grin widened as he put his jacket on, and he realized that Coach Tressel had just confirmed that his Unofficial Visit was nothing more than a formality.

Andrew's Varsity Football Jacket with Letter (Christmas 2002).jpg

=================================================================================================================

Meanwhile, Andrew's friend JP Maloney was touring the Steelwood Athletic Training Facility, which was where all Ohio State Buckeyes Wrestlers trained.

5955ba3ca760d_SteelwoodAthleticTrainingFacilityOhioState.thumb.jpg.01bdc7c8f68f30cc4ddfc439242a152b.jpg

"This facility was built in 2002, and it has 8000 square feet for wrestling training," Coach Hellickson informed JP proudly. "The Wrestling Room itself is 6500 square feet, which provides plenty of space for the entire wrestling team to train together."

steelwood-wrestl-800x325.jpg.473a4c77079e6070b9cf927d335262b5.jpg

"Wow Sir!" JP shouted in excitement once they stepped into the wrestling room, which was the size of a gym. "This is amazing!"

"This can be your future in two years JP," Hellickson predicted. "Especially with that District Finalist Medal around your neck. Now that I have all your wrestling match footage from Coach Graves, I will be sure to visit your high school starting in November to watch your matches."

"That sounds like a good idea Sir," JP agreed enthusiastically. "So, does this count as an Unofficial Visit?"

"Yes it does JP, and you can take as many as you want," Hellickson assured him. "But you can only take five Official Visits, one to each of your top five schools."

"That's good to know Sir; I'll keep that in mind for the fall of 2006."

"Coach Graves tells me that you have an IQ of almost 150, which means that you are practically a Genius JP," Hellickson informed him. "So I have no doubt that you'll remember anything I tell you."

"I will Sir, but I don't like to brag about it," JP said humbly, wincing at how he used to brag when he first met Matt. "I prefer to think of myself as a wrestler first and a student second."

"That being said, your transcripts, that I got from the NCAA Eligibility Center, confirm that you are a straight-A student. In fact, it looks like you've made the Honour Roll every year and are well on your way to graduating as Class Valedictorian in the Spring of 2007."

"Does that mean that I have a choice between an Academic and an Athletic Scholarship?" JP asked, looking excited at the prospect.

"You won't have to choose; you'll be able to get both," Coach H. assured him. "Remember, while your Wrestling Scholarship is a Full Ride, that only refers to tuition and lodging. So your Academic Scholarship will be useful for textbooks and other classroom supplies."

"Don't forget about food," JP reminded him with a cocky smirk. "I have to eat a lot to keep up my strength for Varsity Wrestling."

Coach H nodded in agreement: realizing that JP would be very successful at Ohio State with his confident attitude.

=================================================================================================================

As Andrew drove them to Varsity Pizza, Coach Tressel said, "Your football coach emailed me an interesting video Andrew; it seems that you can bench-press 800 pounds for a one-rep max."

"So far," Andrew confirmed with a smug grin. "But I held myself back so that I wouldn't make my teammates jealous, even though three of them can bench 700 pounds for a one-rep max."

"How did you four get so big and strong?" JT asked curiously.

"We're just genetically wired to be really big and strong," Andrew replied. "Just like the guys who compete on World's Strongest Man."

"And the Genetic Freaks who enter high school at 6 foot 2 and 220 pounds of solid muscle," JT realized, grinning at Andrew. "Thereby securing their Starting Positions on the Varsity Football Team on their first day of high school."

"Well, I see that Coach Everson has been bragging about me again," Andrew said smugly. "What else did he tell you Coach?"

"He told me that you gutted out last season's Provincial Championship Game with broken ribs," JT replied, his eyes widening with astonishment. "In fact, no one knew you had even been injured until the game was over."

"Yeah, if one of David's teammates hadn't hit me from behind, I would have been able to jump high enough to keep David from blocking Ralph's bonus kick," Andrew bragged. 

"You'll get him next season Andrew," JT predicted. "And I'll be there with all the other college coaches to watch you dominate your opponents on the football field."

Andrew grinned with excitement: pleased that his mistakes on the field last season hadn't wrecked his chances at getting an NCAA  Football Scholarship.

Once Andrew had fully explained his bad history with David Harrington, he and Coach Tressel had arrived at Varsity Pizza.

20160817_114641.jpg
It was linked with a restaurant called Varsity Club and was a favourite hangout for the Ohio State Varsity Football team, especially since it was right across the street from one of the entrances of the Ohio State University.

"I think I can see part of the Ohio Stadium just to the right of the 'Don't Walk' sign Sir," Andrew informed JT.

20160817_114634.jpg
"Very good eyes Andrew; you're exactly right," JT commended him. "But then, after all the football camps you attended this spring, you can probably recognize a college football stadium with one glance, even from this far away." Andrew nodded in agreement. "Let's get parked Andrew and then we can go inside."

Andrew parked his truck, fed the meter and then followed Coach Tressel into the left side of the restaurant, where a few Ohio State Football Players were sitting. The waitresses had joined most of the tables together to form one long table. All of the football players stood up to greet Coach Tressel as he approached them. Then they introduced themselves to Andrew one by one. After all the introductions were over, the crowd of football players parted to reveal an Offensive Lineman just as huge and insanely muscular as Andrew. The only difference was that he had brown hair instead of red like Andrew's.

"Hey Little Guy," he teased Andrew with a big grin.

"Little Guy?" Andrew laughed. "I'm now as big and strong as you are Carl! How are you man?"

"Just fine Andrew," Carl replied, stepping forward to shake his hand. Andrew grinned when he realized that he felt no pain, even though Carl was squeezing his hand like a vise. "So, how do you feel, having single-handedly taken your team to Provincials last season?"

"I didn't do it alone; I was just one member of the team that worked together to make it happen," Andrew protested humbly. He felt really embarrassed that a soon-to-be Junior in NCAA college football was praising him.

"Now don't be modest Andrew; we both know you're much more than that," Carl admonished him.

"I agree Carl, but how do you know that?" Coach Tressel asked curiously.

"When I was a Senior in high school, I taught Andrew, who was a Freshman then, how to play Center on the Offensive Line," Carl replied proudly. "He took over for me as Starter and Co-Captain the next year."

"Yeah I did," Andrew agreed, smiling fondly at the memories.

"So Andrew, how much are you benching now?" Carl asked.

"I can no longer tell," Andrew replied, looking embarrassed.

"What do you mean man?" Carl asked in surprise. "Don't tell me a Genius like you forgot how to count!"

"No I didn't, but speaking of Geniuses, here come two more right now," Andrew said, pointing to the front entrance.

Everyone looked over and saw JP and Mike coming into the restaurant. JP admired the wood panelling all over the right side of the restaurant while Mike waved at Carl.

"I recognize Mike, but I don't recognize the other guy," Coach Tressel said. "Introduce us Andrew." He noticed the Ohio State Wrestling Coach coming in behind JP and added, "Obviously he's a Wrestling Recruit."

"Are you sure his Varsity Wrestling Jacket didn't give away what sport he plays?" Andrew teased him, as JP stepped up to the group.

"Very funny Andrew, but no," Tressel replied with a laugh. "I couldn't see the back of his jacket or the sleeves, so there was no way for me to know what sport he played until the Wrestling Coach came in behind him."

Andrew nodded in understanding and then introduced JP and MIke to Coach Tressel and the Ohio State Football Team. When JP expressed surprised that only a few football players were present, Tressel explained that most of them had gone home for the summer.

Once the explanation was over, Carl said, "You never fully explained why you don't know how much you can bench Andrew."

"I've used all the plates in my home gym and it's now too easy for me," Andrew replied bluntly.

"And so is being cocky," Carl teased him. Andrew looked embarrassed, so Carl laughed and asked, "Seriously man: how much are you limited to benching at home?"

"About 700 pounds," Andrew answered honestly. He left out the fact that the school gym had enough plates to bring him up to his true max bench of 800 pounds. He looked around to see the reaction  of everyone around him and was embarrassed at the shocked look of their faces. "Is something wrong?"

"No Andrew, but is that 700 pound figure for reps?" Coach Tressel asked.

"Yeah Coach, as I proved last night in JP's home gym," Andrew answered humbly. 

"Yeah and I got it on video on my digital camera so that you don't have to take our word for it," JP said, before anyone could realize that Andrew's one-rep max was higher than 700 pounds.

"Let's see this video then," Coach Tressel said,  helping to keep the secret of Andrew's true strength. 

So JP showed everyone the video, causing all the football players to grin with pride at the prospect of such a strong guy joining their team.

"Let's see if you can beat me in arm wrestling now," Carl suggested,  after they had ordered supper.

"Right now, before we've eaten?" Andrew asked in surprise.

"Our food will arrive in 15 minutes: plenty of time to get this over with," Carl assured him.

Andrew nodded in agreement and they locked their hands together for the match. Coach Tressel officiated. Andrew won the first match and Carl won the second match.

"This is the final match," Coach Tressel said, as Carl and Andrew locked their hands together for the tie-breaker. "Are you both ready?" Andrew and Carl nodded and Tressel said, "Go!"

Andrew and Carl strained against each other and they went back and forth for almost five minutes. Finally Andrew managed to slam Carl's hand down to he table with a grunt.

"Okay, you guys are done, and Andrew won best two out of three," Tressel said.

Andrew looked around nervously at all of Carl's teammates to see if anyone was jealous. He smiled with relief when everyone clapped for him.

"Thanks guys, " Andrew said gratefully.

"Congratulations Andrew; you'll be a fine addition to this team now that you're stronger than me," Carl commended him, making the team's approval of Andrew official.

"Thanks Carl, but it feels kind of awkward now that the student has surpassed the teacher," Andrew said quietly.

"We'll find out if that's really true on the practice field tomorrow," JT decided. He looked up and added, "But enough about that for now: our supper has arrived."

All the football players looked up and their mouths practically watered at the prospect of chowing down.

About an hour later, after they had each eaten three or four helpings, all the football players and their friends left the restaurant.

"See you at the stadium tomorrow morning at 9:30 for your tour Andrew," JT said. "Bring your gym clothes with you. You can go to the stadium now with Carl and JP to look around; I'll drop Mike and Carrie off there to join you."

Andrew nodded in understanding, shook JT's hand and then waved goodbye at the coach walked to his car. "What should we do for the rest of the evening?" he asked Carl. 

"We'll find out how good your football skills are on the practice field," Carl replied, as they got into Andrew's truck. 

"Did Coach suggest that as an Unofficial Test?" Andrew asked with a knowing grin, as they headed for the Ohio Stadium.

"Maybe," Carl replied, matching Andrew's grin with one of his own.

"Sounds good man; then we'll find out if I can play with the Big Boys," Andrew realized.

"While playing as one of the Big Boys," JP added. 

"Let's go then," Andrew decided. "Does anyone have an Ohio State Football we can use?"

"I bought one for you, since none of the Ohio State football players or coaches can," JP replied, handing Andrew the Ohio State Football.

"Thanks man; you've thought of everything," Andrew commended him.

"Of course I have: I am a genius after all," JP reminded him with a smirk.

"But you're still not smart enough to be humble about it," Andrew shot back with a smirk of his own.

"Aw snap!" Carl gloated, chuckling at JP's look of shock. "Better grab a bucket of water, 'cause JP just got burned!"

"You shut up!" JP snapped, as Andrew and Carl laughed. "We'll see how much you like water after I throw you in the Ohio River!"

"I bet you could; Andrew told me about your 300 pound bench-press," Carl informed him proudly. 

"Thanks man, it was nothing," JP said humbly, as they arrived at the stadium parking lot and got out of Andrew's truck.

"For a big muscle god like you," Matt said proudly, stepping out of JP's car. 

"Hey Matt, what's up?" JP greeted him, grabbing his hand and pulling him into a Bro-hug.

"Not much, I just got to see the Ohio State Band Room in the stadium," Matt replied.
 20160817_103636.thumb.jpg.76210160f0c78d23cec494e2e870a366.jpg

"How did you get to see it for free when we have to pay to see it on the stadium tour in the morning?" Andrew asked curiously.

"Not many recruiting rules for Band Majors Andrew," Matt informed him with a cheeky grin. "Not all of us can be 'Gods on the Gridiron'."

"I guess you're right," Andrew realized. "But I love being one, in high school at least." 

"Well now's your chance to prove it, since we're here at Ohio Stadium," Carl said, pointing behind him.
  20160816_221257.thumb.jpg.1900ee6b223ae48a882eada6dfe1943b.jpg

Andrew turned around to see Ohio Stadium looming behind them and grinned with anticipation of the tour inside the next morning.

"Now that we're all here, Carl can show us around," Matt suggested.

"Good idea Matt," Andrew said approvingly. "Were you and JP able to get tickets for the stadium tour tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah Andrew, Coach Tressel told us we could buy them in the morning," JP replied. 

"Good idea," Andrew agreed. "So Carl, do we have to pay for parking here at the stadium?"

"Yeah man, the Parking Pass Machines are right over here," Carl said, leading them over to one. "They take credit cards."

Everyone paid for their parking, buying two hours of time just in case. Then they followed Carl around the outer perimeter of Ohio Stadium, taking pictures along the way.

20160816_220621.thumb.jpg.7104a5fb7989ee12d5c1a632e1552589.jpg

Carl stopped by one of the gates that protected an entrance to the stadium and pointed inside.

"This entrance leads to a tunnel that will take you onto the field tomorrow morning."
 20160816_221628.thumb.jpg.579dcd95028cf503b0ff88d528bfb890.jpg

"Is that the entrance we will use during the tour tomorrow?" Andrew asked Carl in excitement.

"Not tomorrow Andrew, but it will be if you get invited for an Official Visit in the fall," Carl replied. Andrew grinned with excitement as Carl continued to lead them around the stadium. He stopped in front of the Band Entrance and said, "Usually the tour starts at the Rotunda Entrance, which is where Coach Tressel met you this afternoon. However, if you really want to impress him, you can come in this entrance in the morning and be waiting inside the Rotunda Gate when it's time for the tour." Andrew grinned at that idea and Carl asked him, "What time is your tour tomorrow morning?"

"9:30," Andrew replied. "Will I see you during the tour?"

"No Andrew, this will be another opportunity for you to spend some time alone with the Head Coach," Carl advised him.

"Will I be able to toss my new Ohio State football around on the field?" Andrew asked.

"That should be fine," Carl replied. "You're really starting to get excited about this tour, aren't you Andrew?"

"Yeah man, I am," Andrew replied. He motioned for Carl to lean closer so that he could whisper in his ear. "At first I was really nervous since this is my first Recruiting Visit, but now I'm learning to loosen up and enjoy myself."

"Oh you haven't seen anything yet Andrew; you'll really enjoy seeing the inside of Ohio Stadium tomorrow morning," Carl assured him.

Andrew grinned at his big friend and realized, from what he had seen of the stadium so far, that Carl was right.

20160816_221912.thumb.jpg.1fd8fbabca39cb46516910e2d492ac2d.jpg

"Well Andrew, we've walked around the stadium; let's try your new Ohio State football out on the practice field," Carl suggested.

"Sure thing man; where is it?" Andrew asked.

"Follow me everyone," Carl replied, leading everyone through Buckeye Grove.
20160816_222007.thumb.jpg.26ac6d86c8bb5b5e34a8b7986e23fef6.jpg

"This is quite peaceful," Andrew observed. "What is the signifigance of this grove?”

“Buckeye Grove has one tree for each First Team All-American in Ohio State football history, dating back to 1934,” Carl said proudly. “We’re past 150 trees so far.”

“That’s great man,” Andrew said, admiring the tall building through the trees as it loomed above the practice field. “What is that big building beyond the grove?”

“That’s Morill Tower, once of two residential towers in this part of the campus,” Carl replied. “The other tower is called Lincoln Tower and the practice field is in Lincoln Tower Park.”

“Do collegiate athletes stay in one of those towers during the school year?” Andrew asked.

“You should save those questions for the tour of the campus tomorrow afternoon Andrew,” Carl suggested. “We’re at the practice field now, so it’s time to see how much your game has improved.”

Andrew looked over the practice field and grinned when he saw Ohio Stadium looming over it as if keeping watch over them.

20160816_222150.thumb.jpg.09bac201f080ec084f222e5fd9fb91bc.jpg

“Enjoy yourself tomorrow morning Andrew,” Carl advised him with a knowing grin. “The best is yet to come when you see inside Ohio Stadium.”

=============================================================================================================================

* FINALLY FINISHED*

Coming soon: Part 2 of the Ohio State Recruiting Visit

- Andrew and his friends find out all the perks that an Ohio State football player enjoys as they tour Ohio Stadium and the rest of campus.

20160816_221650.jpg

Edited by sl97aq
I made the text bigger so that it's easier to read.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I have completed more of this chapter, and added some pictures that I took in May of 2012, when I visited the Ohio State campus. I will be taking a tour of Ohio Stadium on August 17th, which will be very helpful as research for this chapter.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I added more to this chapter, including a couple of pictures from my visit to Ohio State in August 2016. More pictures to come soon, when I get to the part of the chapter where Andrew and his friends tour Ohio Stadium.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After almost ten months, I finally finished this chapter, and included some more pictures from my visit to The Ohio State in August of 2016.

Thanks for all the views so far and hope you enjoy this finished chapter. Chapter 7 (Part 2 of the Ohio State Recruiting Visit) will be posted as soon as I write it on my computer first.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I added a couple more pictures and made a few minor grammar corrections.

Two of the pictures are of the Steelwood Athletic facility, where Ohio State Wrestlers train.

Anyone who remembers the story Nick: Sequel to JP knows that JP wrestled for Ohio State in college.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...