Colin's Determination, Part 2

cropsey23

The next morning I awoke to a grabbing at my ankles. I was a little startled, and I jerked my big leg hard, and as I opened my eyes, I realized my foot went straight into Colin's lean gut, and I knocked him clear across the room onto his ass. When I realized what I did, I got up out of bed fast and went over to help him up.

"Colin, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize it was you," I said, as I extended an arm to help him up. He grabbed my arm and I pulled him up quite easily. He didn't seem rattled or annoyed at all. "What are you doing up so early Colin?"

"You promised to take me to the gym today Greg." He was calm, and not at all winded from the kick in the gut he just got with my size 12 foot. I realized I was standing in just my briefs, and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I still had the beefy baseball player's build, my proudest feature being my thick, solid athlete's forearms. Maybe a little leaner than I used to be, but it made my abs pop. I turned sideways just a bit, I always kinda liked showing off. Then I felt a smack on my abs and realized it was Colin. I looked at him, kinda pissed. "What was that Colin?" I asked, moving towards him, and puffing my chest out.

"You are looking a little lean there yourself brother. Maybe some weight training will do you good too." He looked me dead in the eye. I was annoyed because he was right. I had let myself get leaner and needed to bulk up. Maybe working out with Colin would be the incentive I needed.

I tossed him a notebook and told him to open it up. "I wrote up a training plan for you Colin. Light weights, lots of reps, full body workout. If you keep a good pace, you should be finished in 42 minutes. Try it for two weeks then we can adjust it based on your progress" It occurred to me the night before that it took him five years to gain the last 16lbs, how could he possibly add the next 16 in just three months?

He was looking at it intently, and grabbed a pen and made some more notes as I pulled on shorts and a t shirt. I sat down to pull on my training shoes. "Oh and one more thing Colin. If you want to have even a chance of pulling this off, I have one word of advice for you: EAT. EAT lots of proteins and vegetables and fruits. You are pushing your limits, so you need the fuel."

"Got it Greg. Feed the machine."

I grabbed my keys, bounded down the stairs, with Colin right at my heels. We had a quick breakfast and then headed off to the gym in the new Ford Mustang that my dad gave me for graduation. I didn't belong to your typical barbells-and-treadmill gym. "We use lots of free weights, kettle bells, medicine balls. The members are athletes, Colin, not just gym rats. Baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer, rugby, gymnastics. They need and want endurance and strength training. The trainers push everyone, everyday." Colin nodded, listening intently. "People don't go there to work on their own. But don't worry kid, I will look after you." Colin smiled at me.

We walked into the gym and I introduced Colin to a few people, but I could tell he was anxious to get to work. So he flipped open his notes, and I put him through the workout in just about 42 minutes. Shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest then back. I was saving leg work for another day. By the end of the workout, Colin was practically shaking, and the weights were really light. He had good form, but it was hard for me to really watch for his weak spots since he had on a big hoodie sweatshirt. I wanted to ask him to take it off, but I knew how sensitive he was about his size, so I kept my mouth shut. I was having serious doubts about making this 16lb goal. But he was determined, and I let him watch as I did some kettle bell lifts.

We stopped on the way home for lunch. Colin ordered some grilled chicken, and ate most of it. I was glad since Colin had always been a finicky eater. But still, he needed to step it up.

The next morning, much to my surprise, we repeated the whole day. Colin woke me up, struggled through his work out, watched my work out, then ate, and slept in the afternoon. This cycle went on for two weeks, Colin never giving up or showing any disappointment. He was eating more, going through his workouts faster and gradually lifting heavier weights. But he refused to weigh in, and I could not observe any progress since he was in that hoodie nearly 24/7.

On the 15th day, Colin whipped through his workout. "Nice work kid, maybe it's time to up the resistance. We can review your plan later." I was in the middle of some kettle bell tricep presses. He folded his arms and watched me work. I was working harder the past few weeks also, and actually felt like I gained a few pounds. I was pretty beat from my work out, and starting to burn out. I had a 60lb bell in a tricep press and I just started to fail. I didn't want to drop it, so my arms were failing fast. Colin walked over and said "You need some help brother?" And before I could even protest, the palm of his hand was on the bottom of the bell. With a firm voice he said "Let it go brother." And my arms finally failed, and I watched, a bit shocked, as he carried it over and put it back in the rack as if it weighed 5lbs. He just looked at me and said "I'm going to do some wall balls brother, want to join me?" I was in some disbelief over what he just did, without even trying, but chalked it up to either a fluke, or was the work starting to pay off? His shoulders were always broad, but even in that hoodie, could I see that they were getting thicker now too? I watched him as he walked away.

Wall balls were a favorite in my gym. We used weighted medicine balls, usually 14 or 20lbs. Starting out in a squat, you would stand up straight and launch the ball for a spot 10 feet overhead, catch it back into a squatting position and repeat. It was a great endurance workout. I told Colin to grab me a 20lb ball, and he should get at 14lb ball. He walked back over with 2 20lb balls. I looked, and he just said "Yea, I can handle it." We got into position and one of the coaches called time, and we just started wall balling. Colin had endurance, that's for sure, and he was handling that 20lb ball with ease. I was keeping pace, enjoying the challenge, until around the 17th rep. I heard a loud crash, turned and looked and Colin, his medicine ball nowhere in sight.

Then I looked up.

Colin had launched his 20lb medicine ball right through the plaster ceiling, and it was lodged firmly overhead. The gym got quiet, then a few people started to gather. I heard "holy shit...I've never seen anyone do that." Even the trainer clapped Colin on the back. "Wow Greg, your brother really beat your ass." I looked at Colin, still in amazement at his feat, but proud also. He stood there nonchalantly, absorbing all the attention. Once the attention died down, we left for home. "You are making good progress, it seem, Colin. You should eat more, and I'll start to work a more challenging plan for you."

He just looked at me. "Yes you will brother."

That night, I sat down to eat a 16oz steak I had just grilled for myself. Colin walked into the kitchen, still in that hoodie. "That smells good brother" he said. He grabbed a fork and walked over. Leaning from behind, he said "I just want a bite." I put down my own fork and quickly grabbed his wrist. "No way Colin, get your own food." I held his arm firmly and slowly pushed it away. It was not as easy as I had remembered, and his wrist felt thicker. From what I could see of his forearm, that looked thicker too. I even felt him pushing me back a couple times. But I prevailed, and looked up at him. He just said "I hope you enjoyed that moment brother. Because now I know, it's just a matter of when, not if." And he walked off quietly.

My mind was reeling. The kettle bell... the wall ball... able to resist my grip, even for a few minutes. I just could not be sure.

On Day 36, I was awakened to something on my ankle again. After a few seconds, I realized it was on both my ankles. I could not move my legs, either apart from each other, or off the bed. Finally blinking wide open, I looked up and saw Colin at the foot of my bed. I struggled a bit, then I realized something.

With one hand, one very large and strong hand, he had enveloped around both my ankles and immobilized me.

The plan was working, much better and faster than I thought.

• Upvote 3