The Cake, the Candles and the Birthday Wish

Scriptboy

The Cake, the Candles, and the Birthday Wish – A short story by Scriptboy

Ethan Crews had a very special day coming up. He was about to turn 17 on July 17, 2017 and his mother was prepared to do anything to mark the event in a special way for her son who hasn’t celebrated his birthday in the last four years.

Ethan was pretty geeky, to say the least. He was about 5-foot-6 inches tall, thin and he had no muscle to show for. He played soccer because he was too short to be on the basketball team and he was too small to make the football team. He loved to play video games and he dabbled in programming and web design in his free time. He also loved to play music online and act like a DJ for an online radio station on weekends and play his favorite tunes for his small group of regular listeners. Other than that, he was an introvert with only a small number of friends who kept to himself and liked to stay in his room and do stuff on his computer when he wasn’t studying or playing soccer.

On the evening before his birthday, Helen, his mother, walked into his bedroom and kissed him on his cheek as he was typing up an essay for school. She had just come home from working at the department store in the mall and she had not seen her son all day. Ever since she had gotten divorced she had been working full-time as a manager at the store which meant she had to come home late every night.

“Aww… Mom! I’m doing homework…” Ethan groaned as he was caught by surprise. “I’m in the middle of writing an essay for history class!”

“Hey, Ethan! Tomorrow’s your big day, sweetheart!” she smiled as she looked at her teenage son. He looked great with his short, brown curly hair and his deep, brown eyes. “You’re gonna turn seventeen! Aren’t you excited?”

“It’s just another day, mom! You know I don’t care for birthdays! I just wish I had more time to go to the gym or something with all this homework that I’ve been getting. I keep on running into Gerry and his football goons at school who keep on pushing me around at school. I’m such a great target since I’m a short, skinny nerd at school…” Ethan grumbled. “And having a nerdy name like ‘Ethan’ doesn’t help, either…”

“Well, I have a surprise for you, sweetie…” Helen said softly as she ran her hand through his curly hair.

“Aww mom…. I’m not throwing a party! Please!” Ethan said angrily.

“Just go to Joe’s Bakery down the street and pick up the chocolate cake after school, okay? I’ll get off early from work so we can indulge tomorrow afternoon… Mother and son!” she replied. She kissed him on his forehead as she turned around and walked out. “Don’t forget! I already paid for the cake!”

“I won’t forget, mom…. I’ll pick it up as soon as I get out of school tomorrow!” he sighed.

Ever since his parents got divorced Ethan really didn’t feel like celebrating his birthday anymore. The family just wasn’t there. Birthdays and holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving just didn’t feel the same anymore without having his parents together. His father moved to the opposite side of the country and remarried so there was no chance of his parents getting back together. And then getting bullied for being a nerd in school wasn’t making life any easier, either.

Ethan just got up like he normally would the following morning and showered and got dressed for school. Once he arrived at his high school, he got pushed around and shoved into the row of lockers by Gerry again, who sneered at him for forgetting to write a paper for him. Ethan was supposed to do an assignment for Gerry and he forgot all about it.

After classes were over, Gerry cornered Ethan again, confronting him about the missed homework assignment.

“Listen here you big lug! Do your own homework!” Ethan shouted.

“I have to go to football practice! I don’t have time to do my homework! That’s what you’re here for, you nerd! So, now you gotta do my math homework as well! If you don’t then I’ll smash your face in!” Gerry roared.

“I can’t… I’m… I’m celebrating my birthday with my mom this afternoon!” Ethan groaned.

“Well… Happy Birthday!” Gerry scowled, before punching Ethan in the stomach and throwing him on the ground.  “You’re a nerd and I’m a big muscle jock so it’s your job to do my homework!”

Gerry walked off, laughing as Ethan cringed while lying on the floor. It took him a few minutes to recover, when he finally did, he got up, grabbed his backpack and stumbled out the door towards the bakery.

Ethan walked in the bakery and handed the large man behind the counter a slip of paper which he had gotten from his mother the night before.

“Oh… A birthday cake for Helen Crews? Oh yes… Got it right here! Along with seventeen candles!” the big man said as he placed a large white cardboard box on the counter. “It’s all paid for!”

“Thanks…” Ethan said as he raised up the lid and glanced at the round, chocolate cake.

“So… I guess this must be for you, huh?” the baker said.

“Uhh… Yeah…” Ethan replied shyly.

“Well, you’re getting seventeen candles! So, put them on the cake when you get home and light them up! Make a nice wish when you blow them out!” Joe the baker instructed. “I hope ALL your wishes will come true!”

Ethan thought about that for a moment before he took the box in both hands and started to walk towards the door. Joe, of course, held the door open for him.

“Thanks… I think I already know what I’m gonna wish for…” Ethan said as he crossed the street while carrying the cake in his hands.

About five minutes later, Ethan reached the front door of the house and opened it. He walked in and set the cake on the kitchen table. Then, he took his cell phone and called Helen, letting her know that he had gotten home from school. She was on her way home already and would arrive shortly.

Indeed, she got home within ten minutes, carrying a large bag of clothes from her own store.

“I bought you some clothes from the store, sweetheart!” Helen said as she unpacked some shirts and set them on the table. “I know how much you like to wear nice clothes!”

‘Thanks, mom!” Ethan said as he kissed his mother on her cheek.

“Now, let’s indulge, share we?” Helen grinned as she placed the candles on the cake and lit them with a lighter. “Come, Ethan! Come and blow out the candles!”

Ethan walked up to the kitchen table and stood before the cake, staring at the cake and the seventeen candles. This was it. This was the moment to make his wish, today, on his seventeenth birthday, on July 17, 2017.

Ethan closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“I wish my muscles would just grow bigger and stronger every time I was threatened, bullied or in danger from this point forward… I also wish my muscles would grow bigger tonight, so I wake up big and strong tomorrow morning!” Ethan thought silently as he filled his lungs with air before opening his eyes and blowing out all the candles all at once.

“Happy birthday, Ethan!” Helen cheered, as she cut off one slice and served it up on a small, round paper plate. “You get the first slice!”

Ethan and his mother just enjoyed cake and punch that afternoon and evening while watching TV in the living room.

“Mom? Umm… If these shirts don’t fit me for some reason then… You can take them back and exchange them for bigger ones, right?” he asked his mom.

“Why, of course honey! I’ll get you others if these are too small…” she responded. “No problem!”

“Oh…. Good… Just in case I, Uhh… Grow tonight…” Ethan chuckled.

Ethan finally went to bed that evening, feeling happy but wondering if his wish would really come true. He walked into his room and crawled in bed, dozing off almost immediately. His concern was now how to face Gerry at school since he didn’t do his homework for him… again!

The radio kicked on about 7 hours later, playing the usual pop, rock and EDM tunes that Ethan liked to hear in the morning. A large hand reached over and slammed the snooze button, knocking the radio off the stand with one mighty blow.

“Aww… what the heck?” Ethan groaned as he slowly turned around. Did his bed seem smaller? Wasn’t his bed wider the night before? Did the bed shrink? Or…. Has he grown?

Ethan raised up his hand again and noticed something. His hand was big. But so was his arm. He had biceps now… and they were BIG… Like bowling balls!

“Hey…. What the heck?”

Ethan felt bigger. He seemed heavier. He covered more space on the mattress. He was wider.

He slowly slid off the bed and let his feet touch the ground with a thud. He wasn’t any taller but he surely felt like he had gained weight.

Ethan stumbled over to the mirror on the wall and examined his reflection. He was only wearing his underwear so all his muscles were clearly visible.

“Holy crap!”

Thick arms joined in the middle at the torso where mighty pectorals were jutting out from his chest. Broad shoulders were staring back at him, followed by his round, beefy pecs, ending with ripped, washboard abdominal muscles covering his once flat stomach.

“Whoa! My wish! My birthday wish…. It came true!” he exclaimed, while rubbing his hand over his hard abs.

Looking down even further Ethan noticed his thick, wide quads, which were wider and thicker than before, followed by his bulging calves. The skinny nerd was now a very athletic and muscular jock in his own right!

“Hah! Look who’s a jock NOW!” Ethan grinned. “Take that, Gerry!”

Then Ethan realized that he had better get ready for school. But that was not going to be a problem. He remembered his wish. When faced with danger or when bullied, his muscles would grow and become even BIGGER! Things would only be better from now on!

“Time to go to school!” Ethan grinned as he grabbed the largest shirt he could find.

“Yup… Mom has to exchange some of these shirts for larger ones…” he grinned. But, that was a good thing!

Ethan got dressed and walked to school, eager to see the reactions from his classmates when they saw the NEW, muscular version of him as he looked now….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 25