Welcome to Muscle Growth Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• CMiller

Help contribute, donate via PayPal or join with a monthly Patreon contribution.   01/01/17

To help raise funds I've introduced a monthly contribution option called Pateron. This service allows you to pledge a monthly contribution plus allows me to offer you some rewards for your contribution. If you have any questions you may PM me. If you'd like to make that contribution please click on the image below:      
    • Scriptboy

The Storiversary section is OPEN!   04/01/17

Check out the Storiversary section of the forum for a brand new muscle-growth story every single day!   https://muscle-growth.org/forum/106-stories/  
bulkybud

Electronic Counter Top Pressure Cookers

I've been using one of these 'Multi-cookers' since I got back working out and they are a miracle for the budget-conscious bodybuilder who cooks their own food. There are many models and they all work pretty much the same, I use one called the Instant Pot.
An example- chicken breasts. When I finished by workout in the gym, I when to the store, and found a great sale on chicken breasts. Came home put some water and a few spices in the PC, loaded up all the chicken in it, set it, and took my post-workout nap. The cooker got it up to pressure, held the pressure for what I had set, and then went into a 10 hour warming mode- all without me. When I got up from my nap, I put the near-falling apart chicken in my mixer, shredded it up, weighed them into 1 lb. servings, bagged 'em, and froze them up. Now I can thaw out whatever amount of shredded chicken I want for whatever meal. Very little of my time used, the machines did all the work.
Eggs- you can make this great 'egg muffins' that are just individual cupcake sized serving of scrambled eggs that I can add anything I want to and have a bag of them in the fridge anytime I want a high-protein snack.
Rice- brown rice cooks up super-easy in this thing.
Yeah, I know I sound like an infomercial, but I am making great gains in the gym and have been getting comments on them. And as anyone who trains knows, it's all about the food, and these devices make bodybuilder food prep simple and inexpensive.

I also have the instant pot and absolutely love it. I buy a bunch of frozen chicken breasts from costco and cook 3-4 at a time in there. It makes 1-2 cups of chicken broth each time, so all I have to do then is season the broth and throw in some washed rice. Chicken and rice, easy as that. 

I can't believe that the bodybuilding community isn't aware of these appliances.
You can make just what you want for your nutrition plan easily and cheaply, and make a huge batch that can be frozen and re-heated later and it's really good tasting.
Often I don't shred the sale chicken and just freeze it up as whole chicken breasts. Then I take one of them and some frozen veggies and re-heat them in the PC rather than the microwave and they are SO good.
I made a high-protein quiche with shredded chicken, low-fat cheese, non-fat milk, broccoli and it was good, low fat, and super high in protein and vegetables.
I took some to the gym, told them what it was, and the gym rats devoured it.
Nutritious and inexpensive- I'm good with that.

I'm going to jump in to this forum topic - Instant Pots are amazing. you can get them on Amazon for like $70 bucks when they go on sale, and it will be the best money you've ever spent on a kitchen appliance. You can make huge quantities of tasty meat cheaply and quickly. Here are a few of my Tips: 

1. Pork Shoulder is $1.79 per pound at Costco and can be made into all kinds of amazing food: Carnitas, Pulled BBQ pork, Pork Vindaloo. the packages come in like 14lbs, so you can divide it up in to 4, cook one and freeze the rest. Its meat for 2 weeks! 

2. Similarly with beef stew meat - I just made a beef stew this weekend that will surely last the next few days. 

3. Learn to love the food you cook - you'll be eating the same food for several days, so be patient, follow recipes. The first few times will be tricky and you might not get it right, but the payoff is pretty amazing. 

Actually, I hadn't heard of counter-top controlled pressure cookers before this weekend - and was quite impressed to hear they existed.  It's tempting to look into...

Hm.... I will have to investigate this magical pot. I have a rice cooker and love it, but was unaware there were also these items.

Insta-pot rocks! Just like your slow cooker but 1/4 the time. Got mine as new but "open box" on Amazon for a fraction of the usual new cost. Definitely worth checking out - especially if, like me, you aren't always quite organized enough to get your slow cooker recipe together early in the day.

oh man these are amazing. i have one and i cook almost everythng in it. Rice and chicken, all comes out perfect. use it abiout 5 times a week! go with a big one, the 10qt its perfect