Summer Research

spacevlad

I write for me.

As you should!!

In any event, the problem is less one of "starting big" than it is POV narrative style.  To understand what I mean, take a look at the sentence I highlighted:

"The problem was he had a hard time putting on weight. He had always been strong, and in high school that strength allowed to him to play on the line despite being smaller than his teammates. He ate and ate, lifted five times a week and took plenty of protein shakes and pre-workout supplements to give him every edge he could think of without using steroids, but nothing seemed to work."

Phrased as this is, it seems to make an objective judgment of Ryan's size.  For comparison, consider something like this:

"Despite his undeniable hugeness, Ryan actually believed that he had a hard time putting on weight!  He knew that he had always been strong, and in high school that strength allowed to him to play on the line with confidence, despite believing himself to be smaller than his teammates (in fact, he was certainly one of the larger boys on the team). He ate and ate, lifted five times a week and took plenty of protein shakes and pre-workout supplements to give him every edge he could think of without using steroids; but no matter how much he grew, how much bigger than his peers he became, he was still convinced that he was small.  Nothing, he told himself, seemed to work."

See what I did there?  While my revised sentences are a bit inelegant, the reader now is clear that the problem is not that Ryan is small (5'9" 250# is not small by any standard whatsoever), but that he thinks of himself as small.  As Flamedelft observed, a mere issue of body dysmorphia rather than genuine smallness.

Good points. I never even thought of Grunt having body dysmorphia, but that would have worked better in the story for sure. Definitely liked how you rephrased it. I do still object a little to 5'9" and 250 being big in all cases...trying to make a D1 football team as a lineman, that's too short and probably too light. But regardless, hopefully you can get to when he grows to 8 ft and 600lbs and enjoy the story.

An awesome story. ^^ <3 <3

Though I do not know if 200 tons is enough weight for someone that big. I have an online character that is 175 feet tall and some of my friends calculated that he weighs around 6000 tons (of mostly muscle and a fat gut). I think that Grunt should weigh something close to 10 times as much right now. ^^ <3

I used macrostat to convert my heights and weights, I think it does a pretty good job. I think weight gets cubed as height goes up, so it would make sense jumping from 65 to 175ft would make a character go from 200tons to 6000tons.

Either way, that's a a lot of football lineman beef!

http://www.macrophile.com/macro-stat/

I guess that could be the case. However I wish we could check it. I might have to talk about those friends of mine about how they calculated my character's weight I guess. Maybe it is just that I can not really imagine someone weighing 200 tons to see if it is really coŕrect or not. Lol x3