Hard Mountain - Chapter Nine

Hey guys, new chapter time! I'm real appreciative of the positive responses the story has had so far. Just reading the comments really perks my day up :) Though the story is gonna be taking a bit of a turn from here on out and I really hope you stick with it and enjoy it. I'll be interested to see how you respond from here on out. Anyway, enough from me. You didn't click on here to read my yammerin'!

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Chapters Three and Four

Chapter Five

Chapter Six

Chapters Seven and Eight

Hard Mountain - Chapter Nine:

I woke up the next morning to the shrill sound of my alarm and I hit it hard to snooze it. I looked at the time, 7am, and groaned. It was too early for me but once I was awake, I would never go back to sleep, though I didn’t remember setting an alarm. I had a shower; my ass was like yesterday morning and not dilated at all after being fucked hard by Danny.

The house was eerily quiet as I headed downstairs. No one was in the kitchen and there were no other sounds in the house. There was a plate of food on the table and a bottle of water in the kitchen and as I got closer, I saw a note next to them with my name on. I picked it up and unfolded it.

Sammy,

If you’re looking for Danny and me then you’ll probably have figured out by now that we aren’t there. By now you will have showered and used the last of the water, which I have switched off. The only food in the house is on the plate in front of you and the electricity has been switched off. I’ve taken your clothes and our cars are gone too.

I’m sure you’re wondering why I have done this. There is a reason and though it might not make much sense now, it will soon.

I told you yesterday that we would be climbing Hard Mountain today and that was half true. Instead of all three of us, only you will be climbing the mountain today. This is the task laid before you, to climb the mountain alone and reach the summit. Once there, all will be revealed. Once you have reached the top, everything will return to how it was. Until you do, there will be no water, no power, no food. We will be waiting for you there.

I’m sorry I’ve had to do this but this is a path you must take alone, like the story I told you on the first night.

We’ll be waiting,

-Jack

I read and reread the note to make sure I wasn’t misreading it. They were gone, I’d been abandoned in the middle of nowhere with no Internet, no cell reception and nothing to survive on. I tried the faucet in the kitchen and the water dribbled out until there was just a drip left. Panic began to set in and I ran around the house, hoping it was a joke, trying to find my two hosts but they really weren’t there. I checked all the drawers and my wardrobe and they were all empty. I checked outside and just as the note said, the cars had vanished.

‘Why are they doing this?’ I thought, feeling my eyes tear up. ‘Is this some kind of sick joke?’

I stared at the plate of food, my only source of nourishment and thought feebly about how to make it last. My stomach growled from morning hunger and I had no choice but to eat it up.

I was being made to climb a mountain alone. I’d never climbed anything in my life, let alone a big mountain. While I ate, I thought about walking to the town that was near but realised that I had no clue which way to go. On the drive here we never passed through a town and the freeway had been pretty much barren for miles before we reached the turn off. Even then, Danny had driven us through the forest after the dirt road had ended and I didn’t even know which way that was. I cursed myself for not having paid attention and really felt the reality of my situation hit me.

I looked out the sliding doors to the back porch, Hard Mountain in plain view in the distance. It would take me a few hours to walk just to the bottom of the mountain, and that was with navigating down into the valley. There was only one way out and that was to do as Jack had told me in the note and climb. I drank down the bottle of water and got myself ready. I put a rucksack on with nothing but a roll of toilet paper, a first aid kit from Jack’s bathroom and the empty water bottle inside, all the other gear was missing like ropes and things. I’d hoped to take my iPod with me so I had some music but it was missing along with my laptop.

I stepped out the door and began my journey, completely naked, just taking it one step at a time. I walked through the woods following the general direction of the horizon, using Hard Mountain as a navigational reference. Within an hour I had reached the valley that lead down to the mountain, looking around to see where I could go down from as the valley was pretty steep and I couldn’t see the route we’d taken when we had visited the caves. I walked along until I came to a downward path that I took slowly, it was still pretty steep and I didn’t want to fall and hurt myself.

Another realization came to me; what if I got hurt? If I tripped and broke a leg or sprained an ankle then that was it, Jack and Danny wouldn’t know where I was and they’d left me no supplies. I shook my head, trying to push the thought back. If I started doubting myself then things would go wrong, I had to be confident that I could make the trek, I had to believe in myself.

I reached the bottom of the valley and started walking through the tall grass. I cursed as the grass started slowing me down. It was waist high and very thick so I had to force my body to wade through the sea of green. I could feel my frustration and discomfort rising with each step, grunting and growling, and the grass was only getting thicker. My foot caught on some grass that had gotten tangled together and I fell forward.

I wasn’t hurt but I started crying anyway. What was I doing? Why was I doing it? Why did Jack and Danny make me do this? All the questions raced through my mind as I sat down. I hadn’t done anything wrong, had I? In the back of my mind I was still hoping it was some kind of joke, that they would see me upset and appear from the grass to apologise. But I knew they weren’t there and I knew that if I didn’t keep going, they would never come back. I took a few deep breaths, wiped my tears away and got back on my feet.

Eventually the grass began to thin the closer I got to the mountain so it got easier to walk. The mountain looked bigger up close, it was going to take me a while to climb it that was for sure. As I got closer, I looked around to work out the best route up but the base of the mountain was covered in a layer of forest so it was hard to get a good grasp of the route. However, I did spot a small creek nearby and made that my first port of call.

I reached the creek which barely a few inches deep and very narrow and splashed water over me. The trek through the grass had left me sticky with sweat and it felt good to cool off. My feet were a little blistered having walked barefoot the whole way so I sat on the ground, taking my rucksack off and pulled the empty water bottle out. I filled it with water from the creek and drank it down, refilling it and I put the bottle back in the bag. I decided I would rest for a few minutes and then start climbing.

I heard a set of heavy footsteps and a grunt behind me as I was sitting and I froze. It didn’t sound human and I didn’t want to look. I turned around slowly and clamped my mouth shut to stop myself screaming. Not ten feet away was a fully-grown black bear, traipsing slowly towards me. My heart was beating a mile a minute and I held my breath. It walked up to the creek, standing right next to me and took a drink. I wanted to run but I knew if I did it would chase after me and probably kill me.

It finished drinking and then started sniffing at my bag. I wanted to pull it closer to me but that might intimidate the bear. It poked its snout at it for a few minutes and then took one of the straps in its mouth and started walking away with my bag.

I waited until I was sure it was gone before I moved again. It had taken what few supplies I'd had, including my water bottle. I had to keep going regardless of my worsening situation, now with a worry that I could encounter another bear at any moment. I didn't think they even lived in these parts but I had just been proven wrong.

I wanted to quit but I kept telling myself I couldn't so I got up, took a deep breath and made my way towards the mountain.

--

Chapter Ten: The Mountain is not a road taken lightly...

I can kind of see what is ahead for our young protagonist, and it's making me hard!

Great story so far.  You definitely have hooked me.

• Upvote 1