CMiller

news [UPDATED] Certain sections of the forum can now be viewed by all

Yes, from the looks of it. guys not only want their profile not visible, but don't want their profile pics visible either, especially when it shows their face

• Upvote 1

Yes, from the looks of it. guys not only want their profile not visible, but don't want their profile pics visible either, especially when it shows their face

Oh ha it was already restricted to guests to not see profiles so people's profiles aren't viewable to the public. 

As for profile photos there's not a specific setting to restrict the public from seeing the profile photos. 

Oh ha it was already restricted to guests to not see profiles so people's profiles aren't viewable to the public. 

As for profile photos there's not a specific setting to restrict the public from seeing the profile photos. 

Correct! I was showing this in one of my screenshots in my previous post. You CANNOT click on user names in order to see member profiles when you're viewing the forum as a Guest. 

Here are some screenshots of the public website (not logged in) showing what you get if you try to view a user profile, the gallery, or when you view the Introduction section where a post has a picture.

You get this when you try to view the Gallery. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 05-25-15 at 07.12 PM.JPG

You get this when you try to view the members' list. You cannot click on the user profiles in the posts. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 05-25-15 at 07.14 PM.JPG

Sample posting from the Introductions thread containing a picture. The picture is shown as a link. When clicked, it tells you that you do not have permission to view the picture. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 05-25-15 at 07.18 PM.JPG

I hope this clears up any anxiety. 

--Scriptboy

Scriptboy, it says I don't have the permission to see those attachments (when logged in).

Retroactively changing permissions on threads to make them public is poor form - as is making the old forum publicly viewable, which this site also has done. Folk contributed under one set of rules, it's rude to break that faith. A more honest way is to grandfather the private subforum and direct new posts to the newly public subforum.

Galleries are not publically viewable.   If the consensus wants it I can also make profile not publicly viewable too. 

Seems fare that you should register to have the view the profiles of other members.  :)

Retroactively changing permissions on threads to make them public is poor form - as is making the old forum publicly viewable, which this site also has done. Folk contributed under one set of rules, it's rude to break that faith. A more honest way is to grandfather the private subforum and direct new posts to the newly public subforum.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way but my goal is to not fragment the community even more than it already is. Our mission is to attract like minded people and give them a platform to express their thoughts. I get dozens of emails per week asking what this forum is about and what content is inside. It's a way for those who may have not wanted to join a community to sample just a couple snippets of what we have here.

I've been strategic with what we've made public by not including any way for anyone to browse people's profiles unless they register, as well as some of the more personal forum areas are also hidden and users must register to see them.

Scriptboy, it says I don't have the permission to see those attachments (when logged in).

That bugs me because the screenshots show up fine on my end. Okay.... Something to research...

Here are some screenshots of the public website (not logged in) showing what you get if you try to view a user profile, the gallery, or when you view the Introduction section where a post has a picture.

You get this when you try to view the Gallery. 

Screen%20Shot%2005-25-15%20at%2007.12%20

You get this when you try to view the members' list. You cannot click on the user profiles in the posts. 

Screen%20Shot%2005-25-15%20at%2007.14%20

Sample posting from the Introductions thread containing a picture. The picture is shown as a link. When clicked, it tells you that you do not have permission to view the picture. 

Screen%20Shot%2005-25-15%20at%2007.18%20

I hope this clears up any anxiety. 

Scriptboy

• Upvote 1