CMiller

news [UPDATED] Certain sections of the forum can now be viewed by all

This news announcement will generally not affect any of the registered users. 

After talking it over with some of the admins we've decided to make some of this site public. Allowing guests to browse some select sections without being required to register or login. These sections include the introductions, general discussions. Stories (not including finding RP section). bodybuilding, and off topic. 

Guests will ONLY be able to view these sections and will not have the ability to "Like" or reply to content. To do that they must then register. 

This will make the forum more discoverable and could encourage more people of like-mindedness find this site. 

There will be one drawback for those who are guests, we will display simple advertisements around the forum. These will be powered by Google Adsense which is a trusted name in advertising and won't offer up any malware laden ads. 

To be clear, only those who are not logged in will see ads, this will compensate for the increased bandwidth that we'll now have to serve and pay for. As soon as you register and login however all advertisements will disappear completely. So for the existing members of this forum, nothing will change for you. 

We hope that these new changes will increase membership and bring more active and quality members here. 

UPDATE: Profiles are not publically viewable. 

Edited by CMiller
updated
  • Upvote 5

I may have to lower my image then if traffic increases. While there really wasn't much before, having a photo out there really does bother me that google will index it.

Edit: Done. Better to preemptively grab it down then worry later.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for letting us know this will be happening.  Do you have an idea of when this will be occurring?  I, for one, have enjoyed the small, intimate, "family" setting that a private site has allowed.  But I understand the reasoning behind the decision.  Opening up the forum for others to see stories that I and others have written (and will write in the future) will change how I present myself.  With the closed community, I have felt that I could post a real-life profile picture because of the dynamics of the group.  Will guests be able to see profile pictures attached to stories, intros, bodybuilding, and other posts they have access to?  If so, I will remove mine and change to a fictional profile photo.  

Will guests be able to see uploaded photos posted in the introductions section if photos have been posted there since they (the public guests) will be able to access introductions?

I understand the reason for opening the forum up for both financial and community reasons and it will be nice to have more exposure to the group for others who are likeminded. This also comes with a cost and I will make modifications to my presence here based on what those changes look like.  

Thank you for your work.  I have enjoyed my time here and I am sure I will continue to do so.  

SeaMusc

Thank you for letting us know this will be happening.  Do you have an idea of when this will be occurring?  I, for one, have enjoyed the small, intimate, "family" setting that a private site has allowed.  But I understand the reasoning behind the decision.  Opening up the forum for others to see stories that I and others have written (and will write in the future) will change how I present myself.  With the closed community, I have felt that I could post a real-life profile picture because of the dynamics of the group.  Will guests be able to see profile pictures attached to stories, intros, bodybuilding, and other posts they have access to?  If so, I will remove mine and change to a fictional profile photo.  

Will guests be able to see uploaded photos posted in the introductions section if photos have been posted there since they (the public guests) will be able to access introductions?

I understand the reason for opening the forum up for both financial and community reasons and it will be nice to have more exposure to the group for others who are likeminded. This also comes with a cost and I will make modifications to my presence here based on what those changes look like.  

Thank you for your work.  I have enjoyed my time here and I am sure I will continue to do so.  

SeaMusc

I've already made the changes and they're live. You won't notice anything if you're logged it. And I'm sure that we'll still have the family atmosphere here since all the regulars will usually post. I'm not expecting a huge jump in membership or anything. But just a way for people who are searching for this type of community to find it. Remember, the old forum had over 100,000 registered members. We only have 8,000

I may have to lower my image then if traffic increases. While there really wasn't much before, having a photo out there really does bother me that google will index it.

Edit: Done. Better to preemptively grab it down then worry later.

I'm sorry you feel that way. 

I wonder if the Steroids and Watch Me Grow subforums of the Bodybuilding section might be better off as member's only. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

This news announcement will generally not affect any of the registered users. 

After talking it over with some of the admins we've decided to make some of this site public. Allowing guests to browse some select sections without being required to register or login. These sections include the introductions, general discussions. Stories (not including finding RP section). bodybuilding, and off topic. 

Guests will ONLY be able to view these sections and will not have the ability to "Like" or reply to content. To do that they must then register. 

This will make the forum more discoverable and could encourage more people of like-mindedness find this site. 

There will be one drawback for those who are guests, we will display simple advertisements around the forum. These will be powered by Google Adsense which is a trusted name in advertising and won't offer up any malware laden ads. 

To be clear, only those who are not logged in will see ads, this will compensate for the increased bandwidth that we'll now have to serve and pay for. As soon as you register and login however all advertisements will disappear completely. So for the existing members of this forum, nothing will change for you. 

We hope that these new changes will increase membership and bring more active and quality members here.

Will this include the gallery/images, and is having all the various stories indexable by Google, etc, really a good idea?

One way to test this is to open a web browser which you normally don't use and to go to our website WITHOUT LOGGING IN. If you normally use Chrome then open up our forum in Firefox or Internet Explorer instead. Then, just try out the links and see which ones work and which ones don't. Some of them will work and others will tell you that you don't have permission to see the page unless you register. 

I think this is a pretty good idea, and from what I assume will help keep the lights on. I'm gonna check and clear any images I might have that I don't want seen.

I wonder if the Steroids and Watch Me Grow subforums of the Bodybuilding section might be better off as member's only. Thoughts?

Good idea. 

Will this include the gallery/images, and is having all the various stories indexable by Google, etc, really a good idea?

Gallery and images are exclusively for members of the forum and will not be accessible publicly. And for the most part it's just a trial run. 

Edited by CMiller
Sorry can't spell. Had a bit too much to drink tonight.