genjikatamori

getting back to shape

hey guys. i dont know if its proper to post here or not. i was never the body of what i always drew and i needed help. due to stress and exam, i gained a lot of weight. and its becoming really uncomfortable in the clothing. i used to go to gym, but i had other dedication at that time. now that i stopped working and resuming study, i thought maybe it is time i go back. during that time, i didnt lose much, and i kept getting distracted by phone and limited time, which is a mistake. the only time i lose weight is the time i dont eat much. and i notice jogging everyday didnt help much in losing weight. 

what should i do?

i was aiming to achieve to have at least 20% body fat from current 49%. what diet should i eat and how much. what kind of workout is suitable for me. 

Well it sounds like you have to be more personally responsible for yourself. When you reach for that snack, recall how you feel in your current shape. There's a science to losing weight (which is much easier than losing weight and GAINING muscle), so maybe you should start with that.

That said, you first need to decide what your goal is. Do you want to 'look good' or actually feel healthier? Because those are radically different goals when put into practice based on psychological reasoning. Either way, find the goal that is more noble to you, since that one will most likely help you in the long run. The other things will come in time.

After that, why don't you do some research? Your frame's general weight loss, etc., and give us a run-down of what you do on a weekly basis so we can comment on what you could add/change/drop. That's the best thing we can do, I would say.

If you need a support system, there are a few guys on here who are beginners/hobby builders. They're not 100% capable of building (economically/physically/etc) but can provide great support as you volley back and forth what you will be doing throughout the week. Hit me up if you want to chat or something.

Even then, though, you need to be capable of controlling your bad habits, and that's mostly step one.

• Upvote 1

Hey man, we chatted on tumblr once, but I think I just vomited some info at you... I was a bit preoccupied at the time.

I would highly recommend intermittent fasting.  I like the protocols from Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat".  Once or twice a week, you don't eat for 24 hours. So if you stop eating at 7pm tonight, you start eating again at 7pm tomorrow night. You can ease your way into it, starting with 16 hours or so, if it's rough on you mentally.

Cut out sugar as much as you can, and only drink water, tea, or coffee. And minimize the junk you eat.

That alone should get you a lot of mileage. Beyond that, get to the gym, and learn to lift properly. Find someone to teach you how to work with dumbbells and barbells and kettlebells. If you can find a gym with a sled or prowler, those are brilliant.

• Upvote 1

You know I keep hearing about intermittent fasting and I've looked it up, do you have any sources you think are better written, Arthur? I keep seeing full- 24 hour patterns and weekly patterns, etc.

And Xearsol, I have tumblr if you want to volley messages, or you can PM me here. But the best way to do it would be with an IM lol. I prefer skype, since I get on that one almost every day.

I always skip breakfast and straight to lunch cause i dont usually eat braeakfast. And there is a time gap of 16 hours everyday between dinner and the next day lunch time. I try to cut on tea and coffee as well since those two are always with sugar. Now only taking regular plain water. As for gym, i still have the issue of afraid being alone and how people would react if i were go to gym. I still have this perspective of people like to gossip and stare at each other in gym.

Hey man, we chatted on tumblr once, but I think I just vomited some info at you... I was a bit preoccupied at the time.

I would highly recommend intermittent fasting.  I like the protocols from Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat".  Once or twice a week, you don't eat for 24 hours. So if you stop eating at 7pm tonight, you start eating again at 7pm tomorrow night. You can ease your way into it, starting with 16 hours or so, if it's rough on you mentally.

Cut out sugar as much as you can, and only drink water, tea, or coffee. And minimize the junk you eat.

That alone should get you a lot of mileage. Beyond that, get to the gym, and learn to lift properly. Find someone to teach you how to work with dumbbells and barbells and kettlebells. If you can find a gym with a sled or prowler, those are brilliant.

i know. but im still lost. sigh

I always skip breakfast and straight to lunch cause i dont usually eat braeakfast. And there is a time gap of 16 hours everyday between dinner and the next day lunch time. I try to cut on tea and coffee as well since those two are always with sugar. Now only taking regular plain water. As for gym, i still have the issue of afraid being alone and how people would react if i were go to gym. I still have this perspective of people like to gossip and stare at each other in gym.

That's a whole different can of worms- the gym mentality. First off, if someone looking down on someone who isn't fit who is at the gym, shame on them. They are OBVIOUSLY at the gym for that reason. So don't worry man. Mature, respectful people won't do that. Secondly, most people who are SERIOUS lifters (not those dud-heads who have a little extra testosterone and don't know a lick of lifting) don't have time to roll their eyes at you, and neither should you have time to pay attention. The gym is your sacred space to mold yourself into something healthier. Don't pay attention to anything that is in the way and take power over something that is -from what you're telling us- affecting your life negatively.

Also, if you're planning on going to the gym, make sure your form is in check. Watch videos upon videos on how to do each exercise and then practice without any weight THEN practice with minuscule weight. Everybody has their two cents on how to lift, but do your research on how to do so.

I think you need to decide on some small goals, like losing a certain amount of fat (in weight) or growing better legs, etc. then someone can guide you in a better direction, because you so far sound like you're at ground zero. Good luck man.

Regarding intermittent fasting:

There are lots of methods out there. I've done Renegade Diet and I've done Eat Stop Eat. I'm MUCH more partial to Eat Stop Eat, as it doesn't have so many damn rules. I have a tendency to make myself crazy if I have too many parameters. Renegade Diet is fun, pigging out every night. But if you forget to pig out, or you get busy, or whatever, you've just undereaten a LOT that day and will probably be cranky. I'm on Eat Stop Eat right now. Next fast is Wednesday-Thursday.

This page has a decent roundup of 5 popular methods: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/

Renegade, which I did, is halfway between Warrior and Fat Loss Forever.

Regarding training: it can be a bit intimidating.

Gym atmosphere can be huge. There are some places that can be pretty judgmental, and others that are very welcoming and encouraging. At my gym, one of our clients is a pretty high-profile celebrity with quite a few extra pounds on him, and we treat him like one of the guys.

For the actual training, I'm going to recommend that you not go it alone. That means SOME other person with you, at least SOME of the time. That can be a friend (training partner), that can be a trainer, that can be going to fitness classes, that can be someone you meet at the gym that has an eye out for you.

I recommend any lifting program that is heavy in dumbbells and/or barbells. You're pretty new to it, so you'll do well with just about anything. Having someone to check in with will make sure that you're doing things safely and that you're pushing yourself when appropriate.

If you can clue us in to where in the world you are, perhaps someone has a recommendation for a good gym.

• Upvote 1

Roboprobo: yea. Im really at ground zero. Last time i went to gym. My friend did show a few way to lift but things went sour in our relationship. So i unfriended him due to personal choice. Everytime i went to gym i always have this fear of people thought like they are gonna say, god who is the fatty who works out here, he shouldnt be here, etc

Thats why i still fear go to gym.

Almacarthur: i'll gonna check out the intermittent fasting. From previous experience, eating less did help. A lot. As for gym partner, i couldnt find one as well. Let alone i have fear of the people in it. Like last time, some people flex. I felt so intimidated by them.