CMiller

PLEASE READ - Post Server Move Information

I recommend that everyone reads this in its entirety as some processes have changed and some information may be different. 

Website Changes

One of the biggest changes is the new use of HTTPS connection sitewide by default. You'll notice that you are now browsing the website with HTTPS (as depicted by https:// in the URL bar). What does this mean for you? It means that your session between you and our server is encrypted and the information cannot be intercepted and logged. This is the biggest feature improvement as it makes web browsing in general safer. 

Secondly you'll notice that the website is now loading much faster, this is due to the now dedicated server that we are using. We now don't have to share resources with others, we have our own dedicated resources that we don't have to share meaning a faster overall response time to you. 

During the server move we also took the time to make some minor updates to the forum software to patch some vulnerabilities to keep the website safe.

Upcoming shortly we will start testing the next generation of the forum software from IP.Board, this will be a voluntary basis that will test out the new forum software for an upcoming move to the new forum software. More information will be available in another post later on.

Web Chat Changes

As a lot of you know, we have a live chatting function available on the site. During the server move we took the time to give it a major overhaul and improve a lot of the components to give you a better experience. 

First and foremost we are using a brand new IRC server and services software. The major advantages to this is that it gives us better control over the software but also gives us a unified login method. 

To authenticate with the chat it now uses your forum username and password. For example, when you join you new use the following method to authenticate "/ns id <forum username> <forum password>". This will let you login and be a registered member in the IRC chat. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, it's a very old technology but very reliable and customizable. Googling around you'll be able to find common IRC commands and IRC desktop software if you don't want to use the webchat. 

That brings us to the webchat, I have sourced a new webchat software that looks better and works much better than what we were using before. When you load up the webchat you'll be prompted to select a username and optionally a password. I would strongly recommend that you use your forum username and your forum password. Inputing this will automatically authenticate you with the server. 

If you are unsure if you are authenticated, the easiest way to see if you are is to look in one of the official channels (#lounge, #bodybuilding, #roleplaying) and you will have a "+" by your name. If you don't, that means you are not authenticated and you can use the above method to authenticate. 

Behind the scenes I will be working to add a UK based server to help those who browse in Europe to have a better connection. And if the demand is there I will also be adding a server based in Asia and Australia for those who live in those areas. 

Conclusion

In conclusion there are a lot of small changes that I've done to help with the smooth operation of the website. I'm always looking to improve what I can for you all. If you have any suggestions please feel free to post in the suggestion forum. If you are having any issues feel free to PM me or post in the help forum so that I can fix any issues that may still be lingering around the website. 

• Upvote 12

Is the SSL cert self signed? Cuz chrome on my phone is yelling: your connection to this site is not private. And I had to accept that I understood an issue with the cert.

Is the SSL cert self signed? Cuz chrome on my phone is yelling: your connection to this site is not private. And I had to accept that I understood an issue with the cert.

No, the SSL certificate is distributed from Comodo. If you are getting a not private for your phone error then you're probably loading old cache from the website. 

I normally only view in incognito mode which doesn't cache but to be thorough I cleared cache and killed the browser twice.

No change. Still gives error prior to seeing site. Device: Moto G running Chrome on Android 4.4.4

No, the SSL certificate is distributed from Comodo. If you are getting a not private for your phone error then you're probably loading old cache from the website.

I'm getting the same error. Anyone tech savvy willing to post instructions on how to fix it?

This page handles some of the problem on a Google forum:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/D1_S_qR5m7Q%5B1-25%5D

This page even has a video with a fix to this problem

http://www.quora.com/How-does-one-fix-Your-connection-is-not-private-problem-when-opening-Google-with-Google-Chrome

Summary: Check and disable your Chrome extensions! Especially the ones you don't need or use!

I'll look into that error this evening. 

It's probably the mobile site loading some non HTTPS links. 

But for now you can just disregard the error. 

• Upvote 1