Teaser for the new story 'Project Defender'

Hialmar

I haven't posted any story before.

The purpose of this teaser is twofold. It will give readers a vague hint of the setting, and I will become familiar with how this forum handles text layout-wise. Please tell me if something looks funny on your computers. There are so many things that may go wrong with computers and internet. In another thread, the text I posted was perceived as white letters on white background for some readers. Thatwas not intentionally, and I hope to avoid such problems.

DISCLAIMER

The teaser doesn't contain anything worth warning for,

with the possible exception of slightly derogative designations of

citizens of the USA and the Russian Federation, 

but some of the chapters of the finished story will.

Do not read this if you find any of the aforementioned things offensive.

Project Defender – The Teaser

Janssens felt an icy chill in his chest. Earth was under attack. Communication with the Yankees, the Russkies and Beijing was lost, the satellites down and the trans-atlantic cable broken. Europe was on its own now, and the Space Squids annihilated city after city. He knew his duty. He had been hand-picked by Forces Spéciales and sent to the International Pan-European Research Facility B as a test subject.

But to know one's duty and to feel relaxed were two different things. The results of The Program on some of his brothers-in-arms were as remarkable as the results on some were disastrous, and The Program was still on a prototype stage. Even if Doc, Viking Guy, Boffin and Coach did their best, none of them, nor he himself, could know for sure what would happen to him in the cylindric Chamber 1.

Do you accept The Program?

He hadn't been able to imagine how the Neuro-Reprogramming would feel. First, he reacted in fear.

Do you accept The Program?

No! No, no, no! It pressed its influence against his mind, trying to control him.

You will accept The Program

No! The fear of losing himself, the fear of becoming something else, something machine-like, something...

You will

... something monstrous, something without control, something...

accept The Program

... something totally amazing, something totally obedient, something totally martial...

You will accept

SIR, YES SIR!

And when the Phase of Neuro-Reprogramming was accomplished, the Phase of Physical Reprogramming was initiated. The inividual unit formerly known as 'Janssens' would never be entirely the same as before, but humankind would have another Defender.

Chapter one will be found here:

https://muscle-growth.org/topic/5059-project-defender-–-chapter-one/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

So the fonts and the indent worked on other themes than my own? That's a relief to hear. I wanted The Program to have its own 'voice', as it were.

Leads or leads... The teaser actually takes place in the middle of the sequence of planned chapters. I hope to have Chapter One posted rather soon. It will take place a few weeks earlier, with the physicist known by Janssens as 'Viking Guy' as narrator. The narrative voice will change between chapters. I have also realised, that it is easier for me to describe acceptably realistic 'mad scientists' than to describe acceptably realistic soldiers.

I have to look a few facts up: How different ranks are styled in British English, French and German, and what would be realistic organisational choices when so many Armed Forces cooperate in a fictious organization. In some cases, however, I will chose what 'sounds' better, and waive any attempts to verisimilitude, 'squad' instead of 'section', for instance. Some things may have changed during the years between our time and the not-so-far future when the story takes place.

I read in the news that CERN will try to create an artificial black hole in real life this week, and that Boeing is constructing plasma-fields, so our reality is becoming sci-fi already.

The text looks GOOD to me!

Of course, I use BBCode to format my postings but so far your story looks awesome!

That's a relief to hear. I do not know why the letter colouring adapts to each user's theme sometimes but not always. By the way – are you aware that some letters in your answer present themselves as black letters against black background? It seems to be a recurrent problem in both directions.

• Upvote 1

That's a relief to hear. I do not know why the letter colouring adapts to each user's theme sometimes but not always. By the way – are you aware that some letters in your answer present themselves as black letters against black background? It seems to be a recurrent problem in both directions.

Ugh... Really? The Dark theme was just too dark for me, especially at night on the iPad screen, so I switched back to the IP Board Default theme instead, which has a white background and black font color. The Dark theme should have a black background and a gray font color. If text shows up in a black font color, then maybe you have adjusted your font color in your settings? You may want to check that. 

• Upvote 1

As far as I know, I haven't done anything with any settings, but I am not into how computers work. I am just happy when they work. Your latest answer in this thread was in nice and readable red, and your private message to me was in nice and readable white. I have no idea what is happening with text colour. For the time being I wish a good night for those of you who reside in a time zone where it is night.