Shane: Confessions of an Underdog (pt 1)

SeaMusc

Hi Ro20316,

You are onto something here.  There is a little bit of ying/yang going on for certain.  And yes, he was able to give into his basic nature A LITTLE.  Remember, he took down his barriers for a moment and then thought better of it and replaced most of them as to not frighten Cliff away.    Cliff is taking care of him emotionally and Shane is also physically responding to him.  That being said, he doesn't know what his true self really is.  He mentions that he wants Cliff to help him discover his limits.  He trusts Cliff to be able to pull him back if he gets too close to being a danger, but he yearns to find out his ultimate limit, like any person. That process is just beginning.  The climax of the story (which will be in part III) heavily involves this concept.  Also, it is important to remember when thinking of Shane's future actions: He is coming from a perspective of survival.  He has had no bonds of importance in his life and has had no kindnesses shown to him.  That is going to give him a very unique perspective on things as he starts to open up to Cliff.  Even though he knows Cliff cares about him completely and is remarkably NOT afraid or worried about his physical changes (and most importantly, can sense Cliff's moods and even thoughts- Cliff didn't ask for Shane's delts to expand out, he just thought it in close proximity to Shane), he fears losing the one person he has bonded to.  That is his biggest fear and it has to have some impact on how he will navigate the situations he is in.  Also, think about WHY he would had put himself into an average-to-weak body that is unremarkable in every way.  Why would he chose that?  Just a few questions to think about.

Thanks for the questions. If you have any more, feel free to ask. :-)

PS, another thing to consider-after he started to change with Cliff's touch and words, he reaches a point where his eyes turn black.  Not just the iris but his entire eye - whites and all.  Talk about a potentially scary-as-shit moment.  So there is something going on with that as well.  Cliff doesn't really respond to that yet, but its something to keep on the radar.

And as a very minor note at this point, Shane crooks his finger and can flip off the light switch that is across the room...just putting that into the mix as well.

yeah i had questions about that but i forget them when i saw something more interesting was being asked.

Cliff seems like the guy that doesnt  ask much he just reads into people and tries to be their friend. That's why he is still friends with Rich, he knows the guy is an ass but he knows how to tame him, how to treat him so he will do the same with Shane be his friend first and ask later. 

• Upvote 1

@ro20316:  You are right.  Cliff knows how to just stand back and read people - and support them.  

@mrnonsense:  I hope you will be happy with the next couple of parts.  

I have been working on the story (part II) over the course of the past couple of nights  I would guess that I will post Part II at some point during the weekend.  

• Upvote 3