Hercules Trucking Co. Part 1

ploder4

Sorry for the long wait on this...  I said I would do it and I finally started it off.  For those of you who wonder, yes the Starburst commercial did give me some inspiration.  

Just the set up for now...

====================================================================

The Hercules Trucking Co.   - Part 1 -

Owen sat there on his easy chair.  That's all he pretty much did now-a-days.  His life had deterriorated to long days of not much to do but eat, sleep, and watch TV or vegetate.  It was the typical result of someone who began a downward spiral of depression after he lost his job at another trucking company when he was 33.  Owen was a security guard there and he had been there for a long time.  So much so, that he got to know all the other guards and truckers and other co-workers at his time there.  Owen wasn't exactly the fittest guy at the time.  At about 310 pounds of fat and muscle, he could hold his own when confronted with a situation.  But when the new management took over, they didn't see that.  All they saw was a fat guy who in their mind was the typical lazy guy who got paid to sit on his ass.  The moment they saw him they wanted Owen out.  They waited for the right moment when he made the smallest of mistakes and then fired him.  Left with no income, Owen was lucky to have saved for an emergency like this.  Owen was able to find an work from home internet job to keep his little bungalow house.  Owen had searched but was never able to find a real job and it only got worse when he realized he was gaining weight because he wasn't as active.  Owen balooned from 310 pounds of fat and muscle to over 500 pounds all fat in less than two years or since the last time he could estimate.  He would need special scales to weigh himself now.   Not only did Owen lose his job, but also access to all of his friends at the company.  They all wished him well especially one trucker named Elliot.  Both Owen and Elliot were of the same body type and did a lot of the same things.  Both of them knew how to throw their weight around so to speak.  They were very close and some co-workers sometimes thought a little too close.  Owen did have a crush on Elliot but he was never sure that Elliot felt the same way that he did.  Elliot did keep in contact with Owen a while after the job loss but soon after, Elliot was laid off.  Luckily for Elliot, he was able to find another job somewhere in West Virginia, but only contacted him once since then.  Things were going good for Elliot in the last phone call Owen got.  Owen was jealous, but at the same time happy things were going so well for Elliot.  The last phone call ended with "You are a good friend.  I won't forget about you,"  Elliot said before they said their good byes.  That was over two months ago.  

Owen's day began like all the others, wake up, spend a few moments looking at the ceiling before spending another few minutes trying to get his fat ass off the bed.  Then eat a microwaved meal that took little effort to prepare, go back to his easy chair and watch TV while munching on anything else he could put in reach of him for a few hours before trying to pry himself out of the chair to the computer for more at home data entry.  His house was along a main strip of road that always had a good amount of semis rolling along it.  It reminded him of his old job.  So his ears perked when he heard the sound of another semi slow down and stop very close to his house.  The loud "CHUFF" of the air brakes confirmed that the truck had stopped.  The engine still growled loudly outside making Owen wonder if the truck was really parked in front of his house, but he was to lazy to look.  Owen was suddenly startled by a thunderous knock on his front door.  He stopped everything for a moment thinking that the knock was in his immagination.  As soon as he relaxed and turned back to the TV the knock thundered against the door again only much louder and hard enough to shake the jamb.  

Owen huffed as he tried to get himself out of his easy chair. The effort took about three tries, but he was able to do it.  He waddled slowly to the door as the thunderous knock sounded again and it felt like it shook the entire house.  Owen heard a deep voice echo from outside.  

"C'mon Owen!  Open the door buddy!"  The deep rumbling voice thundered almost as loud as the knocking.  Owen was puzzled that the voice knew his name and it seemed familiar.  A thought that the person behind the door could be Elliot wandered into his mind for a brief moment but then Owen shook his head as he wordlessly dismissed it.  Reluctantly, Owen opened the door.  

• Upvote 23

• 1 month later...

Oh wow!  I got a story that was bumped!  I am honored.  Don't worry, I haven't forgot this story and am still working on it.  I end up writing when the mood hits and like with Close Encounter, I was suddenly on a writing spree so we shall see.  There will be a next part... I just don't know when.   Sorry.