growingguy

Leg Press Weight

Just a pointer for those of you who are relatively new to leg press machines. It is imperative that you keep your ass down and against the pad, even if that means sacrificing some range of motion. When your butt lifts off the pad the weight is being transferred to your lower spine. It's a great way to slip a disc. So leave your egos at the door and use proper form on this one at all times. If your press has handles below the seat, one trick is to grab them and pull yourself down into the seat throughout the movement.

Thanks for the tip, big guy!

• Upvote 3

I dunno now some of these big power dudes do it. I bonk with 4 pps. But Swole is right, ya gotta keep yer ass all the way down. I screwed up my form at first in the gym months ago and nearly wrenched up my lower back. Thank God there was an experienced lifter who noticed, said something to me and then worked with me. I am really humbled by these big numbers some of you studs rack up. I wish I could claim them myself. But I have to be grateful for what I've got, which includes great looking legs even though they can't do that kind of weight.

Ok boys I'm chiming in....I've got a good set of tree trunks. Each of my sets are x 10

540 (12 plates)

630 (14 plates)

720 (16 plates)

810 (18 plates)

900 (20 plates)

990 (22 plates)

1080 (24 plates)

This was yesterday after squatting and deads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Look at my buddy EMG. What a fucking stud. Gives me wood every time I read his numbers. The butch little mofo hammered that mountain of weight after squatting with hundreds of pounds.

I used to get envious because I couldn't begin to touch those weights or that many sets of shit. Now I have to compare myself with myself. And here's something a lot less intimidating: I press about 270-320 for five sets of 15. That's three plates per side. Then I waddle like a duck. Quack quack. And my legs look good. These selfies don't work very well, but I'm puttin them out there. One of these days, I'll find a way to take better shots...Amazing how my extremely suntanned legs look pale white in this light.

post-1777-0-58914700-1408560261_thumb.jppost-1777-0-51307500-1408560262_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

I can lift a ridiculous amount of weight on the leg press and that is why I only use them in high reps, otherwise I need to lift dangerously heavy weights to keep up the level of intensity I want.  I prefer squats over leg press.  Good form is very important when people start lifting very heavy weight, poor form with heavy weights makes an injury much more likely.  

24 plates + the base, recently. (I think this machine is 50, not sure.)

Got up to 1300 before, but that was a different machine, different gym, several years ago, and my form wasn't as good.

In both cases, though, my left leg is doing 80% of the lifting, since I've got a prosthetic on my right leg (below-knee amputee). The earlier 1300 might've even been just the left alone, right leg off the plate out of the way.

• Upvote 1

I cannot contribute to this discussion effectively, as my gym does not have a leg press, but wished to echo the thoughts of @LondonMuscle in that I am very wary of squats as I suffered a slipped disc between August 2012 and July 2013 (only officially diagnosed as such in September 2013) and therefore do not want to do anything that might cause it to happen again (for the simple reason that as a carer, a slipped disc would mean that I could not care)