Envy and Lust (Ch. 17 added)

Philosopher

Chapter 13

The pathetic mass of muscles and bones and skin stares at me for just a moment, before its heavy legs start climbing down the hill, slowly but surely approaching the beautiful Echo Lake to put an end in its miserable life. I watch Luke as he tumbles down the ground, but I don't want to waste my precious time watching how every single muscle on his massive frame works in unison to deliver a simple task.

The happiness I'm feeling right now is indescribable. He holds so much power in his titanic body, and yet a single sentence is enough to bring him down to his knees. Poor lad, he probably didn't expect his free-will to become a plaything. My plaything. I doubt such a powerful man had ever felt weak or powerless, and yet here I was, making him walk to his own death.

Hmm. Maybe I should watch. Maybe it'll be cathartic for me. Watching my past literally drown in the clear waters, it would be the ultimate resurrection for me.

The death of the past and the glory of the future.

Well, at least there were some good news for Luke. He won't be alone in the bottom of the lake. Oh no. He'll have friends and company, a dozen different people to play and interact with. I might have been harsh, but I'm no demon. Although I doubt his new friends will be able to talk, being underwater for the past months and all doesn't really work with being alive.

As I enjoy the radiant sun and azure sky that beautiful California offers to me every day, I take a deep breath of satisfaction.

Yes, this is what true power feels like. Not massive physical strength. Not the ability to achieve superhuman feats of power. Just pure, simple dominion over the minds of the people. After all, what good does it do to have so much strength in your body if you can't use it? Poor Luke surely wasn't taking advantage of his gifts. Sure, he'd be such a great addition to our company, but unfortunately I doubt he'd want to join our ranks. Of course, I could command him to do so, but a puppet is much harder to control. So, it makes sense to remove any potential threat before it manages to flourish.

Now his family in Lancashire could be a problem, asking where their firstborn athlete had vanished, but if I find some free time on my  busy schedule, I'm sure I could visit them for some afternoon tea. I'd even bring a cleanup crew to clean up the mess after I'd be done with them.

I yawn, and stretch my body. Using my power always takes a toll on my mind, and I try not to use my Authority to every person I meet. With the current level of proficiency I hold over the ability, I estimate that I can command around five to eight people a day. Father tells me that with more training, soon I'll be able to control dozens, then thousands and then hundred of thousands. I shiver at the thought of going through that hell again, but I'd gladly do it if it mean that I could become even more powerful.

Besides, all I do is for the good of humanity. Sure, I have to remove some threats here and there, and maybe mess with some morons if I want to, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. We can't actually begin improving the human race before the Inferno Virus has infected at least 50% of the total human population, and right now we're not even near 1%. 'It just takes some time,' Jess keeps telling me after I'm done with my training. 'The infection is going to be exponential, and our shell companies are releasing the virus every single day in malls and markets and large gatherings, all in various countries around the world. Just be patient and wait. The rewards are well worth-it.'

My phone suddenly rings, and I view the hologram that suddenly appears in front of me. Speak of the devil. It's Jess, and after some seconds, I press accept. I like making her wait.

"Hey, Jess. Yeah. Yeah, I took care of him. It was rather easy for our agents to track a seven foot giant from the airport. I mean, how hard could it be? He's not Waldo or anything. Oh, yeah, the usual way. He's climbing down now, right towards the shore. We really ought to buy this park. Cleaning the bodies at the bottom of the lake is at least a secondary priority... What? The President? When...? Oh, alright. Gotcha. Yeah, I'm free this Sunday. Yeah, we'll go through the script later. Okay, bye."

Ah. How much sorrow can a human take? The President has still been unable to be influenced from my beautiful voice. Such a powerful man ought to resist my spell. His will and spirit are far stronger than I originally expected. But he'll break eventually.

They all do.

Something, a little voice in my brain tells me that I should have watched Luke drown himself. It would have brought me closure and satisfaction, but my guess is that whatever tiny fragment of humanity is left in me didn't want to see him die a painful, horrible, excruciating death. Oh well. Even with his superior lungs, he couldn't have lasted more than 10 minutes underwater. Yes, he's a superhuman, but the laws of physics and logic still apply. Besides, the virus doesn't give you gills.

Walking towards downtown LA, I see the vibrant life that the city is dancing in. Everyone has a purpose, a goal, I can see it in the faces of every man, woman and even children. They're here for a reason, and they'll do everything to succeed. Of course, most of them are infected with the virus, but the first viral cycle hasn't been concluded. The virus takes at least two months to exhibit its effects. The CDC somehow found the outliers that interacted really well with the viral load, but the true number isn't 5 million.

If you add another zero, then you'll be about right. 

And all of them will be under my control. Oh, the rush of power and dominance that courses throughout my body is so addicting. A divine sensation of absolute authority. I could stop a random person on the street and tell them to run into the middle of the traffic with a smile, and they'd do it, no questions asked.

I love it.

I genuinely do.

My phone beeps again, and another hologram appears before my eyes. I'm quick to rush into a narrow alley in case someone sees the advanced technology. I don't have the ability to remove memories, and asking someone to end their life in the middle of the street will bring unwanted attention. Moreover, I don't want to create any more threats, and it gets tiring to send people down to the pits of the lake.

This time, the call is from the Power Department. 

God damn it.

"WHAT?" I shout to the hologram once I hide behind some dumpsters. Gosh, a person like me shouldn't be here, but whatever.

"We have a situation with the Red Agent," a neutral voice responds with eerie calmness. "He's responding well with the booster treatment, but his cognitive functions have taken a hit. On the other hand, his physical prowess is impressive, very impressive. He's able to bench-lift more than five tons now, and that's not even his limit. What should we do, sir?" the voice asks with respect.

I take a moment to think my answer.

"Hmm. Fuck it. Give him another booster. I don't care if he becomes a vegetable. I want to see just what the mild version of the virus is capable of. If he goes rampant again, call me. This time, I'll tell him to jump off the roof of the skyscraper," I conclude and I send the hologram away.

The Red Agent is an experiment of mine. My scientific curiosity and interest hasn't withered away, unlike my useless humanity, and I'm thankful for that. Father was quite surprised when I asked him about my own private lab, and very pleased when I told him my goals.

Then again, Luke would be the perfect specimen to see the limits of the human body, enhanced with Inferno. I still can't believe I managed to control him. I thought giving him half of the original booster shot might have made him immune, but apparently not. It did increase his muscle mass and height, but I prevailed in the end.

The tiny voice in my mind holds to the beautiful image of Luke. That voice holds me back. It tells me to stop, to think, to act with respect and diligence. To return to myself. To return to humanity. To become less than the whole.

But I refuse. I don't want to become weak again. I want to grow. I want to get stronger. Better. I have to. If I don't, I think I'll do despicable things to every single human around me. I'll tell them to break their own necks, drown in their own blood, burst into flames, kill their friends and families, unleash chaos and darkness in the world. I'll create the worst catastrophe that the world has ever seen. I'll whisper to generals, tell them to unleash the nuclear weapons and let them rain down to humanity. I'll tell them to create Armageddon. The Apocalypse. The End of Days.

I'll tell them to end the world.

So, I do my best to bury the voice deep down, when it's barely more than a whisper. It's better that way. My ambition has grown too strong to control, and its better to ride the wave than fight against it.

Yes, Luke is, or was, a wonderful specimen. A god among men. But nothing more. He wasn't smart. He had no goals. No ambitions.

The exact, polar opposite of myself. I don't know what I ever saw in him. My primal instincts have all faded away now, and I'm glad. Lust doesn't cloud my judgement anymore. Just pure, cold logic and reason. I see everything the way it is. My eyes can organize and analyze information before it even reaches my mind. Luke was just a sack of meat, overgrown lab-meat, and he now rests deep within the lake.

I'm the super-human. I'm the star.

Not him.

NOT HIM.

Besides, he's dead.

I hope so.

He has to.

Because if he's not, then we're gonna have a big problem.

The Echo Lake rumbles as a massive weight is thrown into it. It evens create small waves across its surface, throwing the boats in the middle off-balance. Something truly titanic has entered the waters. The few people on the boats stop to look at the source of the disturbance. It's a massive man having a bath in the Lake with his clothes on. He's so massive, so gigantic that it's it's unreal. He looks like a more humanized version of the Hulk.

Jaws drop as he moves deeper into the lake.

For the next twenty minutes, there's complete and utter silence. The Bystander Effect has sank its teeth deep in their necks, and nobody dares to call the police or an ambulance. They can only watch and wish for the beautiful, handsome man to reach the surface again.

And then, he does.

He rises to the surface of the lake, which foams with discord, and he breathes. He breathes in and out. He breathes like its a new action for him. His brilliant green eyes are red, fuming with fear and terror. But there's something else hiding behind them, and all of them can see it.

It's anger.

No, it's wrath. It's complete, and utter wrath. Barely containable, struggling to take over the beast of the man. They all start to shout and scream, their bodies shocking their minds with a 'fight or flight' response. The instincts of humanity might have been dampened over the centuries of technology and wealth, but it hasn't left their biology.

And right now, all of them know that they have to get the hell away from the blond man.

Their lives are dependent upon it.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Ok, now the one part of me wants to Luke kick Jason's ass, the second part wants to Jason mindkick Luke's mental ass, and the third one wants to them both just literally destroy Father and Jess. 

Jason is up for a BIG  surprise but im afraid Jason will find out rather fast Luke didnt drown. I bet there are agents near the lake and i hope their next encounetr is inmediatly after he finds out cause of course he would want to know how he survived and not only him Father and Jess will want to know too.

And does it looks like Jason forgot he shot Luke hald the Authority variant of the virus too?

1 hour ago, Ro20316 said:

Jason is up for a BIG  surprise but im afraid Jason will find out rather fast Luke didnt drown. I bet there are agents near the lake and i hope their next encounetr is inmediatly after he finds out cause of course he would want to know how he survived and not only him Father and Jess will want to know too.

And does it looks like Jason forgot he shot Luke hald the Authority variant of the virus too?

No, Jason mentions he was wondering if half the booster shot he had given Luke had made Luke immune when he was walking back from the lake:

"I thought giving him half of the original booster shot might have made him immune, but apparently not. It did increase his muscle mass and height, but I prevailed in the end."

Edited by jontron
Added quote from story.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh interesting.  Jason's tactic was successful...sorta...  But now Luke will be in a rage.  Will he be able to regain his humanity?  Will Jason?  Right now there are two terrifying powerful people who are not of the right mind.

Can't wait to see what happens. 

Hey, Philosopher here! Sorry for the recent lack of updates, this week was filled with assignments and labs and deadlines and I'm rather exhausted. I didn't have time to write a single word, so apologies for that :D

Nevertheless, next week is relatively a mild one, so I'll have time to make some new chapters :3

• Like 5

Agree with @dredlifter. Life is hectic sometimes and keeps us busy or sometimes you just don't feel like writing. It's always best to take a breather then and get back to the story when you can dedicate the time you feel necessary to flesh it out as you've imagined.

Hope to read some more of your chapters next week. 🙂

• Like 1

Chapter 14

It wasn't until Monday that I could meet Father again. One thing that was kept constant throughout these months was that the man excluded an aura of superiority and mystery, an inexplicable cocktail of hidden power that emanated out of his frail, little body. For a man that didn't look a day over a hundred, his eyes were as youthful and bright as ever, as if he knew something we didn't and enjoyed the fact that he was the only one who was aware of the truth.

That, and the fact that he was good friends with a surprising majority of the world leaders made me think that his voice and power was leagues above mine. While I could control your simple-minded, average Joe, I kept having trouble with smarter and stronger individuals. For example, the geniuses with the Mind Variant were completely immune to any kind of compulsion I tried to give them. Even if I tried to slip under their radar with suggestions rather than commands, they still had complete control of themselves no matter how hard I tried.

Father knew that before I had even realized it. And so, today he would personally come and try to resolve this major problem. If I had to talk to the actual President of the United States of America, then I had to be ready. Right now, I was certain that I wouldn't be able to influence him under any way.

My silver bracelet reminded me that my appointment with Father was due in five minutes. I was already outside the massive doors of his room, impatiently waiting for them to open. At the same time, a mild sensation of terror kept flowing through my body. Father didn't like to be disappointed. I had learned that the hard way after his 'training'. Some of the memories have been permanently blocked by my own brain to protect my own sanity, and I thank the advanced technology and Father's voice that have allowed me to forget.

The doors finally open slowly, gradually, as if we have all the time in the world. Cold air blasts my face, and shivers crawl down my spine. Father hates warmth. His room is constantly set to a boggling 50 Fahrenheit, with industrial-sized coolers placed in the four corners of the expansive room, always keeping the temperature cold and constant.

It's so much different than his voice, the warm, soothing sound that could tell you to snap your own neck while happily singing 'Party in the USA'. One of the few peculiar facts about the man is that he loves his pop, and Miley Cirus is no exception for his tastes.

"Good evening, Father," I whisper as I approach his desk. He has explicitly told me that he sees someone at a much kinder light if they don't raise their voice. Even for his old age, he can still hear almost everything with frightening detail.

He glances at me from his luxurious desk, sending the floating hologram in front of him away. "I just closed the deal with China. They'll invest two hundred billion dollars in our cause," he smiles, revealing little white teeth shining against the silver of his desk. "It's rather hilarious, I may add. They're literally investing all that money into death."

Even I am taken aback by that. "What do you mean? I thought the deal was to send them a hundred cases of the mild version of Inferno. They want to speed up the infection process in their country, don't they?" I ask, my voice just a tad bit louder. I'm careful not to go over the limit.

"They don't want the mild version. They want the real deal," Father grins at me like a child on Christmas Day. "They're really planning on becoming the most powerful country before the others, no matter what it takes. And who am I to say no to sacrifice?"

"...What? But the fatality percentage of the origina-' I start to say, but he raises a hand which instantly causes me to clam up.

"Jason, Jason, Jason. Come on, where is your enthusiasm? This is our chance to see what this virus can really do to humanity, and a billion humans are the perfect involuntary participants, no? Besides, if we're lucky, we might even get the thing to mutate. That's when the real fun will begin. Now, let's forget all about that and focus on your... problem," his face takes a sour note, showing off his many, many wrinkles. He sometimes looks like a mummy that escaped from a museum.

"Uhm. About that. I don't believe I'm strong enough to influence strong-willed people yet. In your last meeting with the President, I tried to sneak in my suggestion to try the cookies instead of the scones, but he just laughed and refused to touch them, going for the stupid scones instead. I don't know why I can't control him. He's already been infected with the mild version of Inferno, so..." I explain as much as I can, and I can see Father's face turn darker and darker.

I gulp down in fear. "...And you know, it's the frikkin' President of America! Why... why do I have to brainwash him? Jess can control far more people then me... never mind you! I'm just not... strong enough yet."

Father gets up from his desk, the same slow, robotic movements meant to inflict as little damage as possible to his brittle body. He approaches me with a hunch, the jerking of his legs making me cower back in fear. Outwardly, he's not the most intimidating person but I've seen what the man can do.

...Am I destined to become like that?

Father approaches closer and closer, until he stands just a breath away from me. "My boy. My brilliant, cunning boy. All the power you will ever need is here," he says and points his finger on my heart. "It's dormant, like a dark sea made of ink and thunder. You just need to reach in and reap it," he nods his head as if he agreed to his own words. "I understand that such massive amount of power will be hard to awaken, I do. That's why I've already devised a plan to make sure your awakening will happen before the meeting with the President."

"What do you mean?" I ask. I don't even know how many times I've used this question when talking to Father, but the sheer mysteriousness of the man still baffles me to this very day.

"You might need a little... incentive in order for your true power to awaken. Simple, really. Both Jess and I had to go through it. Trust me boy, you'll see everything from a different angle once you're free of-" he recounts but suddenly stops to take a few deep breaths. "E-excuse me.  I'll have to sit down, if you don't mind," he whispers and with great difficulty, he moves back to his cutting-edge desk.

"So, what do I have to do then?" I ask. Father seems our of breath, as if he just run a full marathon.

"I've already set up an appointment with Edd from the Clarity Department. I hope that's fine with you," he mumbles as he sits down to his luxurious chair made of glass and crystal. I sincerely doubt he cares if that's fine with me.

I simply nod my head, and start walking out the room.

"One more thing," he suddenly shouts. The whirring emanating from the desk tells me that his attention is already back at the holograms in the roof. "The incident with... what's his name... Luke. I'm assuming it was taken care of?" he says, and I know that his eyes are buried deep in my back.

I conceal a shiver. "Yes, Father. Luke has been taken care of. He'll never bother us again."

Several seconds pass in silence, before I hear a sigh. "Good. A fine specimen, he was. But the ones who can't be controlled... well, there's only one thing waiting for them at the end of the line," he laughs, an old, raspy sound. "All pieces eventually fall in place, Jason. You ought to remember that."

And with that, I leave the room.

The night sky of Los Angeles is something surreal to look at. Although many parts of the city shine like suns, polluting the sky and making it look like an old, decaying polaroid, there are still some small crevices where you can see the many tiny stars and nebulas in the vast skyline.

These days, I keep finding myself stare up the sky. I don't know why. It's sheer size, the infinity it represents, it resonates with me. It's a nostalgic sensation.

Freedom.

Edd bumps me with his elbow. "Hey, cheer up man! I've done this a dozen times. He'll just take a peek at my face, and we'll be in the club in no time. If that doesn't work, I'll just put him to sleep," he smiles at me and I can't help but agree. Edd from the Clarity Department. His face is... it's obviously not from this Earth. The man next to me looks like he was born of beauty and light and ecstasy. The face of his shape is prominent, masculine. It excludes an aura of dominion and authority, reminding me of Luke. Luke's face was more, boyish, I'd presume. Immature would be the right word. After all, he was still twenty before I...

Yeah.

Anyways, Edd's face. The Inferno Virus did a miracle on him. He's so symmetrical, with deep, prominent angles that capture both natural and artificial light, enhancing his divine features. Pale rose lips that curl into a smile, soft like the feathers of a swan. A sharp jawline that's not too masculine neither too feminine, the perfect combination of the two, creating an almost alien sensation when you look at the lower part of his face. Looking upwards, Edd's nose is a work of art. Sharp, not too big or too small, and slightly upturned, inviting you to bite it. His eyes have the shape of almonds, and their bright blue color in them is so inviting that you can stare at him for an hour and not get bored. There's not a glimpse of wrinkle or old age, not a bump or pimple that could deduct the alien beauty that resides on his face. The rest of his body is that of an average twenty-five year old, just slightly stronger because of the secondary effects of the Inferno Virus. He's shorter than me, but still lean and I'm sure he could give a harsh beating if he wanted to.

Edd swipes his long, brown hair behind his ears and smiles at me. "Caught you staring at me again!" he laughs like a petulant child. For the few days I've known him, he seems to take deep pride on being the most beautiful person to enter a room. Even I have to admit that when I saw him the first time, I stopped breathing for a full ten seconds.

Thankfully, my variant makes me somewhat immune to any further... effects his beauty has on normal people, and thus that enables us to work together. "I'm sorry, Edd. Something tells me you don't really care either way," I comment as I tear my gaze away and look towards our destination.

It's a very old, rundown bar in one of the many, many alleys of LA. The surrounding roads reek of cheap booze and piss, and I have to breath through my nose to not smell the horrible odor. We've been informed that our target is inside, and we're just waiting for the bodyguard outside the small doors of the bar to kick some people out.

There must be less than ten people when we enter, so we all we can only do is wait.

"Why don't you just enter the bar and speak to the bodyguard anyways? I'm sure you could 'convince' him to let us enter, no?" Edd asks me as he yawns, producing a small but very cute sound.

"I could do that, but we don't know how many other bodyguards are inside. I've already used my power four times today, and with my limits, that puts us to four more potential people to brainwash. I don't want to risk it."

"Well, you could just ask the bodyguard to go full berserk mode in the bar and kill the others, right?"

I take a deep breath. For all his beauty, Edd isn't the smartest person to talk to. "And risk killing off our target? Yeah, sure! But I'm not gonna be the one who explains that to Father," I shrug and look up towards the sky again.

I've trained myself not to feel bad when taking lives away, but what we're about to do to this man is... extreme, even by my twisted standards.

"Jason! Look, he's coming out! Come on, let's hurry up!" Edd bumps at me again, and we rush to the entrance of the bar.

The mountain of a man in front of us is holding two very drunk older men in his hands, who look out of it. With an annoyed grunt, he throws the men next to some dumpsters, their bodies falling down like sacks of potatoes. I look up at him, and I take some breaths to expel some of my anxiety away. He's a bald, frowning wall of muscles. His face looks rather gruff and very rough, with many scars and bruises all over. His eyes are dark, hidden behind his protruding forehead, making him look like an overgrown gorilla.

"Whad'ya want, punks?" he grunts, spitting next to us. The sheer lack of respect of this man makes all my anxiety evaporate away, a cold fury taking its place, urging me to open my mouth and tell him to go fuck himself. I really want to see what would happen if I ordered him to do just that.

Edd places a hand to my shoulder, and the anger vanishes. I realize that he just used his abilities on me. With just a single touch, he can make anyone passive and calm, like a baby. The power doesn't have a full effect on me, but it's enough for my bloodlust to fade away.

"Hey man. We have an appointment with one of your guys inside, so if you could let us in..." Edd implores, moving forwards.

The man stops him on his track, putting a massive hand between us and the door. "Na-ah. Nice try, pretty boy. I doubt someone like you has any business with the mates in there. Screw off," the man grunts again, but I can see that his face is blushing.

"Should I do my thing?" I whisper to Edd, but he shakes his head. Instead, with a sudden turn of his wrist, Edd suddenly grabs the man from his hand and squeezes in with his exposed skin with his fingers. The bodyguard's face turned from shock, to anger and then to confusion, as the effects of Edd's power started to seep in. With sudden, deep breaths, his legs started wobbling and shaking like he had just drunk a two-liter bottle of vodka, and I instantly spotted something moving on the man's pants. His erection wasn't that big, especially for his mass, but it was there.

"Jeez, what did you do to him?" I ask Edd as I move out of the way, seeing the humongous bodyguard face-plant down the pavement with a thud. Ouch. That must've hurt.

"It's one of the abilities of the Clarity Variant. I overwhelm the peripheral nervous system with the natural pheromones that form from my skin. With just a single touch, I can bring the mightiest warrior down and put them to a very sexy coma," he laughs again and grabs my hand. Thankfully, the effect is muted on me, and I only receive a fraction of the pheromones in my body, not nearly enough to make me faint, but just enough for my mind to go elsewhere for a single second.

To the face of a familiar person. To someone that I literally drowned with my own words.

Shit. Why am I feeling guilty all off a sudden?

The inside of the bar is rather... ancient. The walls are littered with cracks and fissures, an old green wallpaper doing nothing to conceal the damage. The ceiling has been consumed by large colonies of mold, growing and prospering in the acrid humidity that the underground basements is offering. The tables look rundown and broken, and an old jukebox is playing some unknown 90's song. A very depressing atmosphere indeed.

A single bartender stands behind the bar, half-empty bottles placed in random positions. In front of him, four men drink cheap brandy from their glasses. They look tired, defeated. Pathetic. As me and Edd look around, we spot another group of men hunched over a nearby table. Their conversation is quiet but quite important, as evidenced by the paranoid glances that they take every five seconds.

"It's the guy with the red cap. He has the... package we need," Edd informs me. We've already discussed the plan, so we proceed with it.

Slowly approaching the table, all their eyes are immediately drawn towards Edd. His beauty is so irresistible, that sexuality doesn't really play a role anymore. He'd told me that many straight guys had 'fallen' for him, never mind the girls. Still, these guys look like they wouldn't be influenced that easily, and it's my job to make sure the 'package' will be given to us.

"Oh crap," one of the men say and rises from the table, instantly reaching for something in his pocket. Edd moves away, but I'm already aiming my own weapon at the man. My voice.

"Sit the fuck down, take the gun off your pocket and point it to one of your buddies," I say, and the command takes his control away before he can even shout in surprise. With s groan, the man takes the gun he was hiding and points it to the other man next to him, who's now trembling like a fish. "Wh-what the fuck are you doing, Mike?!" he shrieks, but 'Mike' doesn't respond. He's my puppet now.

"Well, all of you knew this day would come, so let's get this over with," Edd grins and grabs his own gun from his pocket. It's a Glock 17, a small firearm, but a weapon nevertheless. "You," he says and points the gun at the man with the red cap, "you're coming with us. NOW," he shouts and shakes the gun in front of him.

Everyone else on the bar is silent. I don't know the exact details, but I think they know what I'm capable of. Edd told me that these men have ties with the Inferno Corp. and Father himself, so I can only imagine what they did to anger him. Our target slowly rises up from the table, sweat and tears flowing from his face. He doesn't look that old, maybe in his late thirties, with a week-old beard and dirty, oily blonde hair sprouting out from his hat. "P-p-please," he trembles as he takes a few steps back. "I didn't know! I didn't know I took it from you guys! You have to believe me! D-don't hurt her! I'm begging you!" he pleads, snot and tears now everywhere.

Edd is relentless. "You're other coming with us with your free will intact, or my friend can just force you to, okay? You knew the price of our deal, so pick your poison, mate," he grunts, but he's just so beautiful that any attempt to sound or be intimidating isn't really working. Regardless, he's holding a gun and the man starts walking towards us, still crying.

The loading sound of a shotgun makes the three of us freeze in place.

"Put your fucking gun down, pretty boy. Nobody threatens my customers," the bartender shouts, now holding an actual shotgun on his hands.

Oh my god. Fine.

"Hey man," I say as I turn to face him. "Take the shotgun and put it in your mouth for me, alright? If any of your friends or bodyguards makes the mistake to follow us, then you can pull the trigger, got it?" I grin, moving aside the headache that begins to form in my brain. I'm approaching my limit, but I don't care. I watch with glee as the bartender puts the head of the shotgun on his mouth, his eyes open wide with fear, panic and terror of losing his own self-control.

"Come on. Let's go," Edd says to me and puts the gun on our target's head. "We don't have the whole fucking day, man!" he shouts as he presses it deep behind his skull, and with that we exit the bar, leaving behind a group of terrified men.

The scent of urine becomes stronger as I close the door behind me.

Now, the only thing we have to do is make the man tell us his address, so we can go and kidnap his entire family.

• Like 12