Deano's Summer: A Muscle University Story

muscleaddict

LOVE IT!  Deano Sr. has enough personality for a whole sit com!  

"Oh, you're my number seven?"

He's lucky he only got a Drink in his face, and not her palm! 

Cheeky, short, jacked, twat-faced pocket rocket!! - 

OH  WAIT -- Why does that seem so familiar?

Great characters, great pacing!  You have no trouble with short or long stories!

P.S. I also love the insight in modern day about his two sons -  that Deano Jr. is the one who needs looking after!  Parents! Even the dimmest have an instinct to protect their offspring!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, WashburnDaddy said:

It's great to read more of the story - and from a different perspective! Looking forward to the conclusion!

Thanks, matie. It's really fun writing from different characters' point of views. (Ryan North short next maybe? 🤔😉) It can be quite a challenge though to create different voices for each one - and making sure they don't sound too similar to past voices etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mdlftr said:

LOVE IT!  Deano Sr. has enough personality for a whole sit com!  

"Oh, you're my number seven?"

He's lucky he only got a Drink in his face, and not her palm! 

Cheeky, short, jacked, twat-faced pocket rocket!! - 

OH  WAIT -- Why does that seem so familiar?

Great characters, great pacing!  You have no trouble with short or long stories!

P.S. I also love the insight in modern day about his two sons -  that Deano Jr. is the one who needs looking after!  Parents! Even the dimmest have an instinct to protect their offspring!

Thanks for the awesome feedback, mate. You could probably say his younger self is a of a cross between Deano Jr and Josh. 😅 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muscleaddict said:

Thanks for the awesome feedback, mate. You could probably say his younger self is a of a cross between Deano Jr and Josh. 😅 

I see the Deano comparison - I dunno about Josh -  Josh wasn't as fully realized as an obnoxious character.  He was more amiable, which might be his mother's side??

• Like 3

I would have liked this story to have gone on a bit more.  Dean Jr coming out of the closet fully.  maybe being a bit less of a dick and finding true love....  just a thought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

Thanks, matie. It's really fun writing from different characters' point of views. (Ryan North short next maybe? 🤔😉) It can be quite a challenge though to create different voices for each one - and making sure they don't sound too similar to past voices etc.

I was going to remark on how nicely you assume different characters’ voices. Doing great with Deano Sr.! 
And a Ryan North short would be welcomed!! Ryan intrigues me... he seems more immature and impulsive than Dean Jr, despite being older

• Like 4

I agree, Johnny.  It would be fun getting into Ryan's skin (in many ways!) and seeing where his emotions are now, especially on the giving up of his relationship with Deano in favor of his girlfriend.  Please go for it, CJ! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mdlftr said:

I see the Deano comparison - I dunno about Josh -  Josh wasn't as fully realized as an obnoxious character.  He was more amiable, which might be his mother's side??

Josh had a similar confidence and larger than life energy about him. At least that was my intention when I wrote the story. There was that moment where Deano's mum described the younger Deano Snr as "Josh times ten" so I had that in my head when I wrote this short spin-off.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JohnnyCoxx said:

I was going to remark on how nicely you assume different characters’ voices. Doing great with Deano Sr.! 
And a Ryan North short would be welcomed!! Ryan intrigues me... he seems more immature and impulsive than Dean Jr, despite being older

Thank you, mate! 😊 I'll have to think more about a Ryan story. 

7 hours ago, DennisFLL said:

I agree, Johnny.  It would be fun getting into Ryan's skin (in many ways!) and seeing where his emotions are now, especially on the giving up of his relationship with Deano in favor of his girlfriend.  Please go for it, CJ! 

My idea was to actually do a prequel featuring a younger Ryan, pre-Deano days. I'm not sure I'd touch upon the Deano relationship again, to be honest. I was really happy with that final encounter between them and I think i the whole thing wrapped up pretty nicely.

• Like 4

Here's the second half of the Deano Snr story. I think "dressing gown" might be a British term so just in case it's basically a bathrobe. 

The brunette’s name is Sarah. And I knew she was into me. Because approximately an hour later, I’ve got her pinned up against wall in the corridor of the club and I’m snogging her fucking face. And not long after that, I’m going back to her house. I don’t see the cute friend again. Apparently she left because she has work tomorrow.

“How often do you go to the gym?” Sarah asks me. We’re lying in her bed the next morning. Her head is on my chest and she’s gripping on to my waist. She seemed pretty taken with my muscles last night.

“Never been to a gym in my life!” 

She looks up, rolls her eyes and smirks. 

“Oh - what these muscles just sprung from nowhere one day?”

“What - THESE muscles?” And then I flex my biceps.

She smirks and shakes her head. “That was so fucking cheesy! So are girls just, like, all over you? All the time?”

Ha. That makes me smile. 

“Some are. Some girls think I’m gross and throw their drink over me.”

Sarah laughs. “You asked for that!”

“Where’s your bathroom?” I ask, jumping out of bed.

“Next door. But you might wanna put your boxers on first.”

I shrug. “Why?”

“Because I have three housemates. And they’re all girls.”

I grin and rub my hands together. “Ladies! It’s your lucky day.”

Sarah goes to argue but I open her bedroom door and run to the bathroom naked.

But as soon as I lock the door I hear two voices outside as two girls drift into the hallway. And they stay there talking to each other. And now I’m trapped. 

I sit down on the bog waiting for Sarah’s housemates to finish talking and piss off. But they're not moving. And they don’t go anywhere for the next five minutes. God, girls can fucking TALK. Fuck this. I’ll just have to run back to Sarah’s room with my hands covering my bits. If her housemates get a glimpse of Mini Deano, lucky for them!

I stand up, paint on a cheeky grin and go to open the door when I suddenly spot a dressing gown hanging on the peg on the back of the door. It’s pink and fluffy. 

I put it on. Embarrassingly, it’s a little long in the sleeves, but it fits okay. I look in the mirror and laugh. Fucking hell. What do I look like? Wearing a girl's pink fluffy dressing gown. There’s one thing though. The deep groove separating my pecs look fucking awesome peeking out of the top. 

The girls are still talking. But then they stop. Have they finally fucked off? I feel a stab of disappointment. I was kinda looking forward to seeing how these two strangers would react to a random short but jacked bodybuilding dude emerging from their bathroom in a pink fluffy dressing gown. Oh well. I’m sure I’ll give Sarah a good laugh anyway.

I open the bathroom door and you won’t fucking believe who’s standing in front of me.

“What the actual HELL?” she cries.

Looking just as cute as she did last night. Perhaps even more so. With those big puppy dog eyes and light brown shoulder-length hair. The girl who threw her vodka and lemonade over me.

She’s wearing a cute work uniform with “Big Al’s Coffee” written on the t-shirt. And a name badge.

“Hello again!” I say to Fran, with a big grin.

Sarah’s door opens. “What the -” she says, looking at what I’m wearing. Then she cups her hand to her mouth and laughs.

“Are you actually kidding me?” Fran says to Sarah while pointing at me.

I just stand there grinning.

“What?!” Sarah protests. “He’s hot! Look at that body.”

I wiggle my eyebrows up and down at Fran and give her a big cheeky grin.

She pulls a face and rolls his eyes. “Why is he wearing my dressing gown?” 

I love how wound up she is. Even with all the frowning and face-pulling, she’s still cute as hell.

“It kinda suits me though,” I say, looking down at the pink fluffy material. Sarah’s laughing.

“Take it off!” Fran cries.

I shrug. “Okay.” I undo the belt and take the gown off my shoulders so it drops to the floor.

“OH MY GOD!” Fran cries, putting her arm up to cover her eyes. “What is wrong with you?”

I put my hands on my hips and just stand there in the middle of the hallway. Stark bollock naked.

“You are MAD!” Sarah says, laughing. Then she grabs me by the wrist.  “Sorry, Fran,” she says, as she pulls me back into her bedroom. Fran’s still got her arm up covering her face and eyes.

“Sorry, Fran!” I cheekily call back. I wonder if she manages to get a sneaky look at my huge muscled arse just before Sarah closes her bedroom door.

An hour or so later and I’m doing the walk of shame back home with Sarah’s landline number scribbled on a piece of paper and stuffed into my jacket pocket. Not a bad twenty-first birthday night out to be fair.

I’m walking along London Road when I suddenly spot something which causes a ripple of excitement to go through me. A sign for a coffee shop I’m fast approaching. Big Al’s Coffee. The name that was on Fran’s work uniform t-shirt. I knew it sounded familiar.

I stop when I reach the coffee shop and peer into the window. Sure enough, behind the counter is Fran. The girl who threw a drink in my face last night. And caught me coming out of her bathroom wearing her dressing gown this morning. She’s put her hair up. I can see more of her heart-shaped face. And those big brown eyes of hers. God those eyes. Would a girl like Fran ever be interested in a guy like me? Probably not. But I go into the coffee shop anyway. My chest puffed out with a big smirk on my face.

“Oh, Jesus!” I hear her mutter under her breath as I approach the counter.

“Hello, again,” I say as I strut up to the counter.

“You DO wear clothes sometimes then?”

I laugh. “When I have to. Where did you get that dressing gown, by the way? It kinda suited me.” 

She opens her mouth to speak, but it’s like the words catch in her throat. Then she puts on a big fake sarcastic smile. Like the one she gave me last night. “What can I get you?”

I pull a pretend thinking face and look at the board above her head. “Erm …” then I look at her face. “To take you out for a drink,” I say, smiling.

She scoffs and laughs. Then she glares at me wide-eyed. “Wait - are you serious?”

I just grin and shrug.

“No,” she says flatly. “Anything else I can get you?”

“A drink. With me. Tonight.”

Fran sighs and rolls her eyes. “Not gonna happen. Sorry!”

“Why?”

“Well for one, you shagged one of my best friends last night.”

I pull a face and shrug. “Next…”

“And you stood on my landing this morning and FLASHED me.” 

“You’re welcome!”

“Oh and then there’s the fact that you called me … oooh, what was it … a frigid bitch last night!”

“I apologise for calling you a frigid bitch. I absolutely deserved that drink in my face.”

She rolls her eyes. But I swear I can see a hint of a smirk there too. 

“What else have you got? Francis?”

She narrows her eyes at me. “It’s FRAN.”

“Okay, Francesca. Hit me with it. More reasons why don’t you wanna go for a drink with me?”

She groans. “Okay,” she says, straightening her back up. “You’re a knob. And not just a bit of knob. You’re, like, a massive knob.”

“You’re having flashbacks to this morning.”

“And I’m not attracted to you. Like, at all.”

Okay. I have to admit that kind of wounded me a little.

“Wow. Don’t hold back.”

She looks at me for a second. And her expressions softens. “I’m just … not into muscle guys. Sorry.”

“Ahhh! BUT …” I say wagging my finger at her. “Have you ever felt the flexed bicep of a bodybuilder?”

She screws up her face and shakes her head. 

“You don’t know what effect it might have on you.”

She’s just glaring at me in confusion. “Who even ARE you?”

“Deano Watkins. Champion junior bodybuilder and all-round muscle stud.”

“Okay, BEANO. Well … this was fun! But … you can’t actually just stand here all day talking to me about your biceps. You do actually have to buy something. Or. You know. Piss off!” she says, with her eyes wide and signalling to the door.

“Fair enough. Coffee isn't really my thing anyway,” I say, with a shrug. “Just so we’re clear, was that a definite no to the drink?”

“YES!” she says firmly.

I nod. “See you tomorrow, then.”

“What?!”

“Oh, are you not working tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

HA!

“I mean … ugh, just go away.”

“Going! But I’ll be back tomorrow. And the day after. And every day after that. Until you agree to go for a drink with me.”

Her mouth makes a shape like she’s going to say something. But she clearly can’t form words right now. She’s just glaring at me. Not knowing what the hell to say.

“Just … PISS OFF!” she finally shouts.

“See you tomorrow!” I say. Then I strut away from the counter, biting my lip and smiling to myself.

I walk a few metres away from the coffee shop, then stop. I walk back and sneakily look through the shop window and see Fran busy making a coffee. But there’s a tiny smirk on her cute little heart-shaped face. I give it three days before she finally gives in and agrees to go out with me.

Even though I told Fran I would be going back the next day, she still looks surprised when I rock up on my lunch break from working a shift at the gym I work at, wearing a tight black t-shirt which awesomely shows off my thick pecs and big biceps.

I order a hot chocolate and she gives it to me with the name “BEANO” and “(Never gonna happen!)” written on the cup.

“Still no?” I say before I leave.

“No,” she says, flatly.

I shrug and tell her I’ll see her tomorrow. I look back as I walk away to find her shaking her head and muttering something under her breath.

On the third day, she looks more pissed off than surprised. 

“Fancy seeing YOU here!” I say to her as I get to the counter. 

“You’re gonna get bored of this soon,” she tells me.

“That’s the thing about me, Francescarita. I never give up. You think these are the guns of someone who gives up easily?”

Then I bring my right arm up into a flex.

She shakes her head and rolls her tongue around the inside of her mouth. Maybe to stop from smiling.

I walk away looking at my cup which says “BEANO (Find a t-shirt that fits!)” written on it.

I pause and turn back. 

“Still a no to that drink then?” I call back. Fran is shaking her head wide-eyed and looking mortified as everyone around me gawps and giggles. 

“See you tomorrow!” I shout as I strut out the door.

I was wrong about it only taking three days for Fran to crack and agree to go out with me. But on day six, I turn up on the counter and she finally (finally) breaks.

“OH MY GOD!” she cries with her hands up.

This is it. It’s gonna happen.

“OKAY! I give in!”

My heart jumps into my throat.

“You’ll go for a drink with me?”

“YES!” she cries. “If it stops you coming here every bloody day then YES. One drink. And that’s it. And you have to promise not to keep … showing up here.”

“Mmmm. Well, that seems a bit silly. I mean ... I don’t think there’ll be anything wrong with me showing up to your workplace when we’re boyfriend and girlfriend.”

Her eyes widen. “GO!” she says, pointing to the door.

“Tonight at eight? Outside The Wellington round the corner?”

She groans. “Fine. Now fuck off before I changed my mind.”

I smirk at her. “See ya, later, Fran.”

“So … have you called her yet?” Big Steve asks me down the phone.

The doorbell rings. I get up from the kitchen table and go to answer it. 

“Mind your own bloody business,” I say down the phone.

I can see her figure through the glass in the door.

“Gotta go, mate. See you tomorrow.” 

I hang up and answer the door and there she is. Francis Campbell.  The mother of my two sons. My ex-wife. My first proper love. My only proper love.

“Josh!” I call up the stairs, as Fran comes in. “Your mother’s here.”

I look at her and roll my eyes. Those big eyes staring back at me.

“Wanna cup of tea while he finishes faffing about?”

“Yeah. Go on then,” she says, following me into the kitchen and sitting down.

“Did Dean get off alright yesterday?”

“Yeah, fine,” I tell her as I make the tea. “You heard from him?”

“He text me this morning. Said everything was fine.”

I grunt. “Would he tell us if it wasn’t?”

Fran gives me a knowing smirk as I put her mug of tea down in front of her and sit down opposite. 

“Bet the house is a bit quieter now he’s gone.”

“Mmmm,” I say, sipping my tea. “Got no one coming in at bloody two o’clock in the morning slamming doors and making loadsa noise.”

Fran smirks at me.

I shake my head. “We didn’t get into those bloody states when we were his age, did we?”

Fran scoffs. “YOU did!”

“Well we know why YOU never got that drunk,” I say.

She looks at me confused.

“Half of your drinks were thrown over lads trying to chat you up!”

Fran laughs. “God. I was so brave back then.”

I want to tell her that she still is. But it doesn’t feel appropriate.

I clear my throat. “Did Deano say anything to you …”

Fran looks at me pensively.

“About why he quit the gym?”

“Erm. Only that he wanted to do his own thing. I mean … it didn’t sound like he ever really wanted to work there, to be honest.”

I roll my eyes and nod. Then I take a sip of my tea.

“He didn’t say anything to you about … a lad at work?”

Fran’s eyes meet mine. There’s something in her expression. Like she knows what I’m asking.

Does she know something I don’t?

She shakes her head. “No, Deano.”

I nod. I sit up straight and puff my big chest out.

“So ... you know how I’ve always been completely irresistible to the opposite sex?”

“No. But carry on …” Fran says straight-faced. Then her mouth curls into a smirk.

“I had a meeting with a supplier yesterday. Someone called TERRY. Was expecting an ugly bald bloke and this leggy blonde Wonder Woman lookalike turned up in reception.”

She nods and smirks at me.

I wiggle my eyebrows up and down. “She might have given me her number.”

Fran smiles and pulls a face like she's impressed. “And have you called her?”

I sigh and slump my shoulders. “I don’t know if I can be ARSED, Fran. I’m not sure if I’d even remember what I was doing!”

Fran gives me a kind smile. Sometimes I want to tell her how gorgeous she still is. Now is one of those times.

“Well … worst-case scenario - you like her but she doesn’t like you back. And, well … we both know what the solution to that is.”

I look at her confused.

“Turn up to her work every day and badger her until she agrees to go out with you again.”

I laugh. 

“Worked on me, didn’t it?” she says, with a smile.

Josh comes bouncing into the room. “Alright, mum.”

“Hello, love!”

Josh kisses Fran on the cheek. They look so much like each other.

Fran stands up. “Do it!” she orders, in a pointed tone.

“What’s this?” Josh asks.

“Never you mind. Nosey bugger.”

He rolls his eyes and I follow them to the door. 

Fran says bye, giving me a knowing smirk as she does.

“See ya, later, Fran.”

I go back to the kitchen and sit down at the table and listen to Fran’s car pull away. The house seems so bloody quiet.

I take my wallet out of my pocket and pull out Terry's business card. I take my phone out. My stomach is tightening as I dial the number. Bloody hell, Deano. Stop being a knob.

The caller answers.

“Terry?” I clear my throat. “It’s Deano.”

“Hello, Deano.”

THE END

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1