Deano's Summer: A Muscle University Story

muscleaddict

14 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

Hmmm. Not sure Luke Henderson and his famous Harry Potter boxer shorts would agree on that one.

Do you think Cheetah's has a Juice Bar? 🤔

Thanks, matie! 😊 I'll be posting the next one at the next weekend. It's probably my favourite of the first 4. 

Haha I'm not commenting on the type of juice you can find there😉

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 6:13 PM, muscleaddict said:

maybe

Great start another classic in the making. And the tease saying the ballooned up pecs guy isn't going to make a return lol classic muscleaddict

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sjdmuscle said:

Pulled a back muscle out yesterday when I bolted off the sofa reading" red hoodie"😜😜😜😜😜😜😜 false alarm! Damn you muscle addict😆😆😆

Haha - sorry, mate. We're a long way from Little Denton so you won't find any red Scorpio's hoodies at Deano's. 🤪

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brawnygods said:

This is off to a promising start, to say the least.  So glad to have a new season of MU unfolding, right about now.  I know CJ and Deano are gonna put us through a workout and I'm nothin' but ready.😈

Thank you, matie! 😊 Maybe one day some exceptionally talented artist will feel inspired to do an illustration of Deano, Deano Snr and Josh in the Juice Bar? 🤔😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stewbake said:

Haha I'm not commenting on the type of juice you can find there😉

Meh. I've heard Deano's has a better quality of gear. 😏

• Like 3

Okay, guys - next chapter. Can I please ask that people don't quote and effectively re-post whole chapters. I can amend and edit my own posts but obviously I can't change other people's. Cheers! ☺️

Four

“You’re not wearing THAT for your shift at the gym?” my dad asks me when I walk into the kitchen the next day. I look down at my outfit of blue trackies and black Montgomery hoodie and then back at my dad in confusion. 

“That poncey bloody university hoodie!”

Josh lets out an annoying high pitched laugh at my expense while he’s sitting at the table eating his breakfast. 

I roll my eyes and make myself some porridge.

“It doesn’t make you look clever wearing a hoodie with the name of a university on it, you know?”

I sit across from a smirking Josh. “Just ‘cause you two were too thick to go to uni!”

My dad lunges towards me and goes to hit me on the head with a letter he’s holding. I put my arm up to guard my hair.

“Oooh I forgot. We can’t touch the hair!” he mocks. “You know what the pair of us should do, Josh? One night when he’s asleep - sneak into his bedroom and shave his hair off!”

Josh laughs. I do a sarcastic, pretend laugh, shaking my head from side to side.

“Do you want a lift to the gym?” my dad asks.

I shrug. “Yeah?”

“Well tough shit. You’re not getting one.” 

I roll my eyes as he walks out of the room. “If you’re not ready in ten minutes I’m leaving without you!” he calls back from the hallway.

I look at a still smirking Josh and then go back to my porridge.

“What time are you finishing today?” he asks. And now he’s got this weird look on his face. Like he’s suddenly nervous for some reason.

“Erm … about four I think?”

Josh bites his lip and nods.

“Why?” 

He pulls a face. “No reason!” he says, picking up his bowl and moving away from the table. “Maybe I wanna hang out with my little brother? The future pro bodybuilder!” he teases. He looks back at me with a cheeky grin and I smile back.

My phone pings as I’m leaving the house with dad. I don’t know why, but I feel a twist of nerves when I see it’s a message from my mate Tony. 

DEAN-O-OH! DEAN-O-OH! I take it you have a good reason for why you’ve been back for four days and haven’t text me yet? PRICK! Monster drinking sesh soon. You, me and Nick?? Three Musketeers reunited? 

Tony and Nick are my two oldest mates from school. Nick went to Bristol to do a marketing degree. Tony stayed at his parents’ and got a job working in a call centre. I feel a slight warmth as I read Tony’s text. They’re my two best mates so obviously I wanna see them. But, weirdly, there’s a part of me that also doesn’t. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s just because I haven’t really been feeling like myself lately.

I text him back when I’m in the passenger seat of my dad’s black Land Rover. 

Tony you scrawny bastard. Soz mate - dad’s making me do shifts at the gym! Deffo need to do a drinking session soon though! 

I hover my finger over the send button. My stomach twists. Why am I so fucking hesitant to see my two oldest mates?

“Who’s that?” my dad says. I hit send and tell him it’s Tony.

He groans. “Jeeezus! Still hanging around with that dopey prick?”

I can't help but smirk at that comment. Dad looks at me sternly and points his finger. “NO going out drinking when you’ve got work the next day!” 

I pull a face and roll my eyes.

“I mean it, Deano!”

My phone pings. Tony’s asking me for a date to meet up.

“We’ve got a new trainer starting today,” my dad tells me. I look at Tony’s text on my phone, wondering what the hell to reply. I know if I message him back with a specific day he’s gonna hold me to it. 

“I want him to get familiar with the gym before he takes on new clients. Oi. Uni boy. Are you listening to me?” 

“YES!”

“Good. That’s sorted then!”

I look up at my dad. “Huh?”

“I’ll leave Ryan with you today then?”

“Who the fuck’s Ryan?!”

My dad clocks me round the head. “OW!”

“If you tore your eyes away from that fucking phone for five minutes you’d know. And stop pissing swearing.”

I scoff. “Hypocrite!”

“I’m your dad, I can talk to you how I want! Ryan. New personal trainer at the gym …” and now he’s talking really slowly like I’m stupid. “You - show him around. Talk him through the machines!”

“I’m pretty sure he’ll know how to use the machines if he’s a personal trainer, dad.”

“I know, clever dick. Health and safety and all that. If we just get him doing what some of the other lads do for a few days, then he can take on his own clients and focus on his training. Doesn’t sound too painful, does it?”

I pull a face and shrug. I really don’t know if I’m in the mood to look after someone today. To have to deal with someone new.

“Why don’t you just get me to be a trainer instead of hiring someone new?”

“Oh - why didn’t I think of that?” he says, sarcastically. “As if it’s that bloody easy. You’re not qualified for a start. Plus you’ll be going back to university before you know it. Where would that leave me?”

A thought suddenly comes to me. Maybe I shouldn’t go back to university. Maybe I should just stay here and qualify as a personal trainer. I could probably get a job at pretty much any gym in Brighton. And I could carry on doing my competitions. Okay - I probably wouldn’t get my pro card as quickly as I would at uni. But I reckon I’d still get it. Eventually. I could rent a room in a house share. Get away from living with Josh and dad. Make new mates at whatever gym I’m training at. And I wouldn’t have to see them again. I wouldn’t have to stand at the back of Posing Practice 101 watching them standing next to each other in their tacky, shiny posing trunks. Watching them being together. Seeing the way they look at each other. The way he looks at Henderson. 

“Just … seems like a waste of money!” I tell dad.

“I have an accountant to worry about that, thanks. Anyway - wait until you actually meet him before you start questioning the way I run my business."

I look at him and screw my face up. “Why?”

“Because he’s probably won more bodybuilding competitions than ALL of those lads at your uni put together. He’s probably bigger than most of the teachers too!”

I don’t say anything. I just pull a face, turn away from my dad and look out of the side window, wondering whether I should have worn my Montgomery hoodie today after all. Because maybe my dad had a point. Maybe it does make me look like a bit of a prick.

I see so many bodybuilders at my dad’s gym. Every time I go. Freaks, beasts, monsters and bodybuilders. I’ve kind of become accustomed to it I guess. Not to mention the fact that I attend the world’s only university for bodybuilders. And yet, every now and then a certain guy will just catch my attention. Like the shaved-headed guy the other day with the sweaty, balloon-esque pecs. And that good looking ginger lad I always used to see at the gym last summer who was a year or two older than me and whose head didn’t seem to match his body. Who often looked at me but seemed too shy to talk to me. And Liam “The Guns” Watson and his massive arse and huge biceps who I basically obsessed about for ages. 

And just like the guy I’m looking at now as I walk into the gym talking to Big Steve with his back to me. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s because he looks about six foot tall (a whole seven inches taller than my short-arsed frame). Maybe it’s the tanned, thick bull neck. Or his ridiculously wide back which is stretching a tight, black t-shirt. Or the thick, tanned triceps sticking out under the material of the sleeves. It might even be the fact he’s got a bigger arse than mine which has that kind of round shape that mine does and is sticking out a mile from his trackies. Which is no small achievement, by the way. There’s no point trying to play it down - my arse is huge for my frame.

I haven’t even seen this guy’s face yet. But I can just tell he’s stupidly good looking. I just know it. Even his hair is weirdly nice from the back. It looks a bit like mine. Maybe he’ll turn around before he leaves. Maybe he’ll be in the gym when I’m showing this new Ryan guy around. 

“Ryan!” my dad calls.

And now the guy I’m transfixed by is turning around and walking towards us and my stomach does something weird. So this is the guy I’m showing around today? Huh.

“Alright, mate!” he says, with this big, cheeky grin on his face. (I was right by the way. STUPIDLY good looking.) And now he’s shaking my dad’s hand. This giant monster of a good looking bodybuilder towering over me with massive arms and thick looking pecs which are straining under the material of his black t-shirt. And hair which is basically the same as mine from the front. 

He clocks me and makes eye contact. My dad puts a hand on my shoulder. “This is Deano Junior!” he says proudly.

Ryan knocks his head back and looks at me wide-eyed, looking both amused and shocked. His mouth curled into a grin. He looks at my dad and laughs. “Fuckin’ hell!” he cries.

Yeah, we look alike. I’m his Mini Me. Mini Deano Junior. Get the fuck over it.

“Alright, Deano Junior!” he says, grinning at me and putting his hand out for me to shake. As I grip his hand and look at his big, hairless, veiny forearms, I get another weird feeling in my stomach. 

“It’s just Deano,” I say.

There’s an awkward pause as Ryan just nods with a sort of weird half-smile. Did that come out as rude? My dad rolls his eyes and groans. “You’ll get used to Deano JUNIOR,” he says, glaring at me. “He usually doesn’t get out of bed until noon so he’s always a moody little git before then!” 

Ryan nods, grinning again at my dad. Then he bites his lip and shoots me a knowing smirk. Like he’s on my side. Like he knows my dad’s embarrassing the fuck out of me.

He’s got this sort of cheeky chappie look about him. Big brown eyes. A strong jawline. Clear tanned skin. He’s kind of boyish I guess, but really fucking masculine too. And he’s styled his hair really well. Even though it’s practically identical to mine, it still looks a little bit better. I bet he doesn’t allow anyone to touch his hair either. 

His eyes have veered down to my Montgomery hoodie a few times. Maybe he's impressed that I go to Muscle University. Or maybe he just thinks I'm a total fucking twat.

My dad takes me and Deano’s Gym’s latest personal trainer and apparent multiple bodybuilding show champion into his office. On the walk there, he makes a joke about needing a step ladder to talk to Ryan, who (again) looks over at me (okay - more like down at me) and gives me a knowing smirk as a response to the crap dad joke.

My dad gets down to business. I’m sat next to Ryan. His thick, tanned, veiny forearms are resting on the arms of his chair. His thighs look massive under his trackies. He looks so engaged and interested in what my dad’s saying. Nodding along and listening intently. I don’t know if it’s completely genuine though. I mean, this is how you probably would act on your first day at a new job, isn’t it? Everyone wants to make a good impression on their first day. 

He could be thinking right now how much of a twat his new boss seems. How he’s just a past it, has-been bodybuilder, with a shitty, run-down gym on the seafront of Brighton he’s now regretting accepting a job offer at. And how his moody, twat faced son, who is basically a younger, less scary version of him with hair, is also clearly a massive prick, not least of all because he’s wearing a Montgomery University hoodie which, let’s be honest, isn’t like a proper university. Because a university for wannabe bodybuilders? What the fuck even is that?

My dad sends the both of us out to the gym floor for me to run through the machines with Ryan. Then he’s asked us to jump on the laptop, update the gym’s website with Ryan’s profile and update the social media sites. Which will take about half an hour. If that. And is definitely not a two person job.

“So, what’s Muscle University like?” he asks on the walk to the gym. He seems pretty genuine. He’s definitely friendly. And confident. He’s so fucking confident. “Do you love it up there?”

My stomach twists. “Erm …”

Fuck. Why did I hesitate? He looks at me surprised. 

“I do actually,” I say confidently. Which is true. Despite what went down in the second term. And the general downer it put on the last few months there.

“I’ve actually met Rick Tucker a few times,” Ryan says. Rick Tucker is one of Montgomery’s most well known graduates. He studied there about six years ago. Last year he cracked the top ten at the Mr Olympia.

“He said he really loved studying there!”

I nod. I bet Rick Tucker never got suspended for publicly outing two gay students on the uni’s Facebook page though. I bet Rick Tucker didn’t kiss and jump on top of one of those guys on his bed after watching him pose. Only to get knocked back and find out that he’s boyfriends with his roommate. Who’s not even a bodybuilder. And wears Harry Potter boxer shorts for fuck’s sake.

“So are you back home for the whole summer?” Ryan asks.

“Yep.”

I’m suddenly conscious that I’m not really saying much. Come on, Deano. Get it together you twat. He’s just a new lad working at the gym. Okay, the best looking lad who’s ever bloody worked here, but he’s still just a new lad at the gym.

“Back home with mum and dad?” he asks, with a smirk. “Are they annoying the hell out of you?”

I look at him and smirk. “It’s just dad. But YES - he’s pretty much been annoying the fuck out of me since I got home!” I look over my shoulder to make sure my dad’s not around and listening in.

We get to the gym floor and I start talking Ryan through the machines. He has this habit of standing with one hand clasped over his fist as he’s watching me and sort of rubbing one finger back and forth against the knuckle. His biceps popping through the material of his black t-shirt as he does so. I won’t lie. They’re pretty insane. Like croquet balls bulging underneath smooth, tanned skin. And the pecs straining underneath his t-shirt. Holy fuck the pecs.

And even though he's just so ridiculously confident, he’s not annoying with it like some of the lads at uni are. He’s definitely not cocky. There’s, like, a warmth there. He’s likeable I guess. I’m not really sure I’m likeable. I’m pretty sure most people just think I’m a loud-mouthed twat.

“So … where do you train?” I ask Ryan on the way to fetch the laptop from dad’s office. 

“Infinity Fitness in Eastbourne."

“Why?” I say, screwing my face up.

That would have probably annoyed some people. They probably would’ve thought I was being a prick. But Ryan just laughs.

“I live there,” he explains. “Sorry - LIVED. Past tense. I moved to Hove a few weeks ago. And, I dunno. I’m just finding it hard to … give it up, I guess!”

For some reason, I feel like smiling. I bite the inside of my mouth to stop. 

“I guess I’m just used to it. Been going there for years. I know all of the lads who work and train there.”

I nod and sit down in a booth in the Juice Bar and load up the laptop. Ryan sits next to me. He’s pretty close. His arms are, like, right there. His huge, tanned gorilla arms. And those pecs. I mentioned those already. 

“This seems like a good place though!” he says.

“How does Infinity compare?” I say, signing in to the platform our website is run from.

“Ummm …” Ryan says, hesitantly. 

“Less of a shit hole?”

Ryan laughs. And how he’s grinning at me. Jesus. He’s even more stupidly good looking close up. He’s older than me. I’m guessing late twenties. Maybe even slightly older. He’d probably fit right in with Joshua and his mates to be fair. Smithy, Captain America and that Ant dude I was talking to on Saturday. Ryan’s forearms are so much fucking hotter than that Ant dude’s. 

“I’d say this place is ... slightly less modern!”

“It’s a shit hole!” I say, turning back to the laptop.

Ryan laughs. “Don’t tell your dad I said that though!”

I smirk as I type. 

“I wouldn’t wanna mess with your dad!”

I look at Ryan. “You’ve got, like, twenty pounds on him. And … a lot of inches in height!”

“I don’t care. Your dad’s scary as fuck!”

I bite my lip and smirk as I mess with the laptop.

“Well, I’m a mini him apparently. Does that make me scary?”

Ryan screws his face up. “Nah! I mean … I can see you’re a little fucking TANK under that hoodie!” And then he grabs the sleeve of my hoodie near my biceps and playfully tugs on the material. I feel a weird pinch in my chest. And I’m smiling way more than I want to.

“But … you’re not scary!”

I lift an eyebrow and nod.

“Maybe when you’re a bit older and you’ve lost all your hair?” 

“That is NOT happening!”

I mess with the laptop some more.

“By the way, I’ve been meaning to say …” he says. “Nice haircut!”

I roll my tongue around the inside of my cheek and smirk. Ryan doesn’t make eye contact with me. He’s just looking at the laptop, but he’s smirking too. The corner of his mouth curled. STUPIDLY good looking.

Dad makes me show Ryan how to work the Juice Bar in the afternoon. Which isn’t exactly rocket science. He leaves Ryan to run it alone and I head out to train before I jump on the front desk for the rest of the day. Then he lets me go early for the second day running. 

When I get to the door of my house, I hear voices from the inside. One of them is Josh’s. He asked me what I was doing after work this morning. Maybe this is why. He’s invited some mates round and just wanted me out of the way.

As I close the door behind me, my heart suddenly skips a beat. Because I suddenly recognise the other voice coming from the kitchen. Fuck.

My stomach clenches as I walk towards the room, and sure enough, I see someone I most definitely wasn’t expected to see today, or any time soon, sitting opposite Josh at the kitchen table.

She stops dead in her tracks when she spots me. Then she slowly stands up, a look of nerves in her expression and I feel a surge of anger rise up in my chest as I look at my mum.

“Hello, Dean.”

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, BrzNLA said:

Nice cliffhanger mate. The plot thickens A new, flirty personal trainer and Mom shows up. Oh Deano, you’re in so much trouble.

Flirty? Are you sure about that? 🤔

• Like 2