Lockdown Blues

EverHopeful

Rochester Friends,

I hope you are all well and safe during this public health crisis. It’s something everyone is adjusting with and handling as best they can, and my heart goes out to those who are sick, those who have friends or family who are sick, and those who are having to put themselves at risk for the sake of others. 

I think for many people the closing of gyms made us adapt to how we were pursuing our own fitness goals.  Working from home, I have found myself with a lot of extra time on my hands. I am lucky that I have a pretty decent amount of home gym equipment, free weights and otherwise, so I have dusted it off and been able to keep up with things — even if I don’t make progress, I think I will be able to maintain, and that’s a lot right now.  

How are the rest of you doing?  This club is for giving support and affirmation, so I am sending you all my best wishes.  Let’s keep up the positives. 

- David

• Upvote 1

I think “doing what I can” is where we all are.  And even though I will be so glad when gyms can re-open, I trust that those in charge will not allow it until it is completely safe.  It would be such a shame, after all the effort to flatten the curve, to have the social distancing restraints removed, only to have a second wave of infection wash over us.  

And I truly home that gym-goers will be supportive of their gyms and do what they can to help keep these small businesses afloat.  I told my gym owner I wanted to continue paying, without interruption, for the time that he is “down.”   I have faith that he will be able to re-open in time, and I feel as though I am helping keep alive not just a small business, but an important part of my life. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I hope you are all being safe and making the best of things in this tumultuous time.  I know the gyms closing was a huge hit for many of us, I know for me.  Funny enough though, I've been pretty lazy, home workouts never worked well for me.  Limited space and time at home plus I'm part of the essential so I still report onsite, although with limited hours.  I have been doing hikes with the hubby and puppy, which I enjoy.  I look forward to our return to the iron.  Just remember though, take care of yourselves as best you can.  This is a challenge, but it too shall pass.  We learn and grow from this to come back better and stronger. 

- Scott

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the state reopening, does anyone know when the gyms will be open and under what circumstances?  I'm anticipating limited occupancy and/or required face masks

So now we are in Phase 3 of re-opening.  I believe that gyms are supposed to start opening during Phase 4, and like @VRGoh, I expect there will be restrictions. But does anyone know if the powers that be have suggested a potential date for Phase 4?  I think we’ve actually been doing a pretty good job making the first three phases work. 

• 4 weeks later...

I read yesterday that the NYS Fitness Alliance will be making an all-out effort on Monday at 10:00 am to contact all the people responsible for deciding when gyms will open. If you go to their Facebook page, they have a video and links to the documents that they will be sharing.   They have done the research, and in areas where gyms have re-opened, there is a very low rate of transmission associated with gyms (.04% or something like that).  Further, they have proposed guidelines for gyms to follow.   

They are asking all gym owners and professionals to contact authorities Monday morning and share this information.  They include the email addresses for all those people who need to receive this, so if you know any gym owners or trainers, you might want to share the Facebook page with them. 

Maybe this is a light at the end of the tunnel.  

I remain

EverHopeful. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Terms of Use, & Privacy Policy.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..