To Protect and Serve - Ch.3 Posted 3/15/2019

Don'r rush your creative process. I think that is something that often happens on here.  But - I can't wait for Chapter 3.  *taps fingers on table impatiently.  

Take your time, but know we are hungry for more.  

• Like 2

I apologize about the length of this chapter but it sort of had to break down this way.  Thanks for the encouragement and as always anything I can improve on, please let me know

---------------------

Chapter 3 - Facing The Demons

Two Months after the Accident -

The evening shift meeting in the Boulder County Justice Center was winding down.  It had been a generic one like many thousands before it. The officers assigned to jail posts were briefed on any pressing situations in their pods.  Road officers were given their assigned patrol areas. A drug interdiction raid was planned for that night, so SWAT was also here to listen in while waiting on their specific briefing with Federal agents and the county narcotics task force before heading out.

“Any questions?”  asked Captain Elliot Hernandez, the incoming night shift commander.

No one said anything, and a roar of metal chair legs grinding on the floor sounded as people began to rise to leave.  But, Hernandez held up his hands, surprising everyone, and said, “Whoa, just one more thing before we are done. Please take your seats.”

At that moment, Sheriff John Cook popped through the rear door that lead to the administration section.  Everyone in the room quieted immediately and sat down. It was almost unheard of for the sheriff to come to a basic shift briefing unannounced.  Cook, a tall white haired man with over 35 years experience before winning election, walked to the front of the room. “I guess you are all wondering what I am doing here tonight?  Well, as compelling as county council meetings can be...,” Everyone laughed a bit at the bad joke, knowing the sheriff’s disdain for local politics. “Gentlemen, ladies, something is happening tonight that I can safely say most of us have been anticipating for a while.  He is still technically a guest with us but he is one of our own … Well, I don’t want to steal his thunder. Come on up, John.”

Everyone turned to look as the side door to the briefing room opened.  There was a momentary pause, then a wave of cheers and applause erupted as John Declann entered, walking into the room on a pair of crutches.  While everyone recognized him, it struck many of the D-shift staff that the man walking in was somehow different. Some chalked it up to the street clothes he was wearing, as they had never seen him out of uniform.  Others thought it was the boots he was wearing that made him look taller than before. But what everyone there could agree on was that this Declann looked in vastly better physical condition than the man who had left this building the day of his accident.  

While he was wearing a loose long sleeved shirt, his pecs were still visibly pushing out, with biceps that were noticeable even under cloth.  His jeans fit a bit oddly. While they seemed almost loose in the waist, even with a well cinched belt, his quads and hamstrings pulled at the denim.  Declann had also changed facially. He was now more angular with a square jaw, looking like he had shaved off a few years somehow. He had grown a goatee - trimmed, neat, and within regulations, but it was something the old John would never have done.  Even his hair had a bit of styling. None of it was over the top on its own, but when the whole package was taken together, Declann looked far more masculine and imposing than before. To the women present - that meant a LOT more handsome.

As Declann moved toward the lectern, the deputy shift commander - affectionately known to all as Ms. Carla - shifted in her seat.  Carla was a tiny woman with a truly gutsy personality, who could put any man of any size in that room on his ass in a moment and had done it. She was closer to John than perhaps anyone on the shift as she was also a PPCT instructor for the Office.  Seeing this new version of her friend, she just couldn’t help but let out a LOUD wolf whistle that sounded over all the cheers. John instantly paused and looked at her, embarrassed out of his mind. Carla yelled out, “Yep, you might look different,   But, that is still our Declann.” The entire room, including John himself, cracked into a uproar of laughter.

The cheers and laughing slowed and stopped as John stepped up to the lectern.  “Thank you all. And thank you Ms. Carla for that particularly warm welcome. I’ll have to pay you back for that someday.”  Everyone let out a good natured “Ooooooohh” and a chuckle. John became a little sombre as he reflected, “You know, I seriously missed this place.  All of you. You know after what I went through … well, it really makes you think. I am fast coming up on 20 years here. 20 years - that is a long time.  Longer than I ever thought I would be here. I was wondering if I should retire. This rehab was the hardest thing single thing I ever had to go through in my life.  But, even while I was learning how to walk again, I thought about you, this place, these people we serve, and I arrived at a decision.”

John hobbled around to the front of the lectern.  As he did, he gathered his crutches in one hand and tossed them behind him where they landed on the floor.  Standing up to his actual fully healed posture, he said, “I decided I will stay on for a while. I’ll be back on shift next week.”  A huge round of applause went up from the group.

At that point, the sheriff held up his hand, “But, not on the road.”  John turned and looked around surprised as much as everyone else. “Seems we have a opening in the drug and narcotics taskforce for a new detective.  After 20 years on the streets, I can’t think of a better person to fill that job. It’s yours Detective Declann. Congratulations.”

Everyone in the room got up and nearly mobbed John with pats and handshakes and congratulations.  Even two of the big men from the STAR Team - Corporal Janes and Deputy Quinn - came up and easily tossed John up on their shoulders.  “Hey, Hey, you damned big ass lugs. You’re gonna put my head through the ceiling here.” Everyone fell over in laughter again.

The old John would have hated the theatrics - but the new John's mischievous streak had only grown stronger in the last month. And when Hernandez had suggested this as a way to boost lagging morale on his shift, John just could not say no.  

Everyone was in high spirits as the group slowly moved toward their duty posts.  Everyone save a couple of men at the back wearing SWAT vests that barely contained their muscle mass. Ripped to shreds was an understatement for the imposing look these two had.  And right now, they were looking at John. They knew what they saw. They’d been around this sort of thing for far too long not to see the signs. They knew what it had to mean. 8 weeks in rehab? And learning to walk again? And do that? No way.  No way in hell. Not without help. The help they were all too familiar with. They saw that proper introductions would need to be made on the way thing were run.

They had nothing against Declann.  They were fine to see any officer recover from a big injury and get back to it.  They had nothing against his promotion. It was deserved. But, that promotion meant John would be working with them much more closely.  And with John Declann, that could mean trouble. Not that they truly expected it, but it was best to just make sure that the newest guy understands from where the shit rolls and who would get crushed under it if he should he get in the way.

Ten minutes later,  John found himself in an empty room.  He looked up to see Gabriel standing just inside the door he had enterred.  It had been Gabriel’s idea to change his look. He had always liked facial hair and told John it would make a good impression.  John knew the real reason behind Gabriel’s suggestion as much as Gabriel did, but he liked it nonetheless. Over the last month, the bond between them had only grown stronger.  They often talked far into the night at the facility, finding commonalities between them they loved and differences that intrigued them. And as they had, John had fast become attached to the idea that his own happiness was bound to the happiness of Dr. Gabriel York.  

John walked over to Gabriel.  Gabriel looked into John’s brown eyes. He still thought it a bit odd to have to look up now, when 8 weeks ago John was an inch shorter than he.  But he chalked it up to the traction and other rehabilitation exercises that were shown to make men temporarily taller.

John grabbed Gabriel and put him into a tight bearhug.  “Thanks for coming with me. You don’t know what it means to me to have you here right now.”  John let go, and Gabriel grabbed a quick gasp of air. “I’ll have to talk to Jack about how he trains anyone in the future.  I think the lessons took too well.” Gabriel laughed as he reached out and gently, but slowly brushed a hand across John’s right pec - and John let it happen.  He let Gabriel explore just a bit before he reached up, took Gabriel’s hand, moved it over to the left muscle, over his heart. Gabriel felt the strong heartbeat, its pace slightly quicker than normal.  “Gabriel, I want to ask you something, and before I ask it, I want you to tell me the answer will be yes.”

Gabriel looked a little puzzled by John’s inquiry, but he trusted Declann completely. “Alright DETECTIVE Declann. As long as you don’t deport me, the answer is yes.”

“Good.  Gabriel - will you do me the honor of going out with me?  Friday? The whole afternoon and evening, just you and me.”  Gabriel tried to hide his glee that John had finally asked what he had been waiting on for two months, a date. John pulled Gabriel a bit closer. “You are so dedicated to healing others, but I think sometimes you forget to heal yourself. So, what do you say?  Are you ready to come with me?”

Gabriel smiled, “Remember, I already said yes.”

John put a hand against the now smaller man’s chest and pushed him back just a few more steps.  Having worked in this place for so long, he knew just where the blind spots were in the camera network.  This tiny alcove was one of them. John leaned over and kissed Gabriel on the cheek. “You mean the world to me.  I hope I can show you --”

“Shhhhhhh-”  Gabriel said as he put a finger on John’s lips.  The pair shared the briefest of eye locks, where souls exchanged wordlessly that which could not be spoken openly.  Then, like that, they released each other and started to walk out of the facility. As they did, John paused again at the doors to the officer's gym, just as he had 8 weeks ago.

“What is it?”  Gabriel asked.

Something felt different inside now, as John looked at those doors.  For the very first time -- he was not afraid anymore. He knew it was time to conquer this one last room in all the Sheriff’s Office complex.  “Just a thought. I think I need to start lifting weights here now instead of at home. Put all of Jack’s teaching to use. Maybe I should pop in tomorrow.”

John was happy that he found the gym empty when he came in. It wasnt that he felt out of place as he once did.  Jack’s pushing and instruction made sure he was much more comfortable among the dumbells and plates and bars. No, it was just …  easier for him to do his warm ups and calisthenics where he would not be seen. While he loved being able to do it, and it amazed him every time, he was still a work in progress.  He did not like this being witnessed - not yet.

John started out on the treadmill walking, just to get the blood flowing.  Following that, he carefully and calmly went through the now almost ritual behavior of stretching.  Jack allowed him to do nothing before doing this; so much so that it was now rote. Nothing fancy though.  John just fluidly moved between stretching his arms and pecs, his quads and hamstrings.

Now for the part that made John secretive, the calisthenics warm up .  He started by falling to the floor in a pushup position. He started to crank out reps - FAST.  Very fast. Almost too fast. So fast it was almost hard to count them. His bodyweight was just not much of challenge now, so he had stopped trying to count.  He was just going off feeling. When he was ready, he spread his feet and launched himself off the floor a bit, adding a clap to each rep. The strange thing was that adding the launch and clap barely impacted his speed. He was cranking reps out almost as fast as before.  

When he felt blood flowing, John stood, without do much as a hint of change in his breathing.  It was as if he had done nothing but sit. He grabbed onto the pull up bar, and began to do muscle ups.  He pulled himself up, then around, and popped up over top of the bar to full extension. He repeated the process over and over and over, barely becoming winded at all.  After a couple of sets, he changed grip to do his favorite - the slow hanging leg raise/russian twist combination that started all of this off in the facility. Now, John was up to sets of 25 on each of the super sets -- and again he found it easy.  It was just a way to connect with his body, feel his muscles move. Enjoy the sensation of making himself slowly stronger. Finally, John finished the body weight part of his workout with one arm chin ups, his newest addition. He wasn’t quite as good at these yet.  His form wasn’t perfect, still had a bit of momentum swing. But he was adding strength and stability almost by the day. Not a lot of reps per arm but improving. Always improving.

Just as he was finishing, but still hanging from one arm, John heard a low whistle come from the direction of the small attached locker room. “Damn John, you keep doing that shit, and you’ll make the guys at the Olympic training center sorry they never recruited you.  Plus fuck with the minds of half the staff here.”

John almost fell off the bar as he saw Captain Hernandez standing in the doorway in a towel.  “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you. I just like to take my runs this time of the morning, after my duties are pretty much over.  So, did all this happen to you just from body weight or have you actually added in ‘proper lifting’ to all that monkey business that I can’t do.”  The captain laughed in a way to let John know it was sincere admiration, rather than needling.

John’s tension dropped by twenty notches.  “Well, I have started to do a few things. The head therapist at my rehab knows everything there is to know and he taught me the basics.  Still learning though.”

“Well if you’ll give me a minute, I can get something on and I can spot you.”  Hernandez replied.

“Thanks Captain. I could use some good eyes to make sure I have this down.  Kind of gotten used to it.” Hernandez popped into the locker room while John went over to the squat rack and popped a pair of 45’s onto the waiting bar.  Just as he was finished putting the lock collars on, Hernandez came back shirtless, only in a pair of BCSO running shorts and sneakers. His physique was that of a well honed, seasoned lifter, but he had the first signs of age that inevitably come.  

Hernandez stopped for a moment when he saw the 45’s on the bar.  That was not exactly the weight he expected. “You sure about that weight John.  I know your strong, but you are still way new to this as far as I know. And just out of rehab.  My first coach wouldn’t let me put even a nickel plate on for my first 3 months.”

“Nah.  Not a problem,” John replied matter-of-factly.  “I’d go up another set of 25’s if I want to work.  Like I said, this is just learning.”

“OK, your call. But like I said, you’re new here.  House rules: When the ladies are not around, pull of the shirt.” Hernadez said.  John looked sheepish at first, but then the new part of him was like, what the fuck.  John reached down, grabbed the bottom of his t-shirt, and pulled it off. Hernandez was taken aback.  This was not the body of a 40 year old fit martial artist. This -- this was the body of someone else entirely.  John was like perfect genetics on display. Ripped abs, well capped delts, solid, hard looking biceps and triceps.  Pecs that were quite wide for his height, and all with staggeringly perfectly proportions. On the bottom,diamond balls of calves that were just as perfect in proportion and the hint of a teardrop emerging from his shorts.  The insertions and and origins were textbook of a body born to be on stage, not in a cop gym. Hernandez was taller, sure. Had more mass, sure. But beyond that - John had him totally outclassed.

“Whoa?  Why the FUCK have you not been in here before John?  You have damned potential. One thing is for certain. I am sending you out for the State LEO pinup calendar.  Well make that two things…. that shirt is going back on YOU before anyone else when the ladies are here. They might grope you to death. Especially Carla.”  Hernandez laughed and popped a quick bro tap John’s shoulder. “OK, let’s see what you’ve got.”

John took a quick couple of breaths as he grasped the bar at a relatively close position, his elbows ready to flare up.  With one last breath, he popped under the bar and pulled his traps back as they, his elbow position, and his hand position came together to create a shelf of muscle on his upper back.  He rested the bar on the shelf and centered under it. John stood up, took 2 steps back, and set his feet just past shoulder width apart. Hernandez just stared as John went down perfectly.  Slow negative, controlled, and then almost exploded his way up out of the hole. John was right, Hernandez thought. This was light for him. Hernandez walked around. Not a sign of butt wink or being on the toes.  Chest out. The chain was perfectly aligned. This was a damned thing of beauty, not a beginner learning the ropes.

John got out 10 reps and carefully re-racked.  Hernandez let out a whistle. “Bro, you don’t need a coach if this is how you were taught.  That was a scene of perfection. I should be getting you to help me with my form,” Hernandez said. “Hey would you mind indulging me.  Let’s see a few others.”

“Sure, Captain.”  John said, a lbit pride starting to creep in.  This stuff - his ability with weights he liked to show off.

“Oh drop the Captain shit, huh?  In here, off duty, it’s Elliot. Although I think you are going to pick up a nickname in here way fast.” John looked inquisitively at that.  “I know your new division. Just call it a hunch.”

Over the next 30 minute, John and Elliott went through all the basic power compound movements - deadlift, overhead press, bench press.  Every single rep was virtually perfect. Hernandez could see John was holding back though, that he had a lot more in him. He just needed to unleash.  So, he decided to try something. “John, you mind if you do one more thing for me. I want to drop another couple of 45’s on the squat and see what happens.  Might be pushing you some, but I’ll be behind you and the safety bars are here if you need them.”

John was unsure about doing a weight so much heavier than what he had tried before. It sort of went against the very structured gain methods he was accustomed to.  But he decided to go along, now facing 225 on the bar. No one with less than a month of experience under their belt would normally be doing this. Especially at John’s body weight. It was damned near unheard of.  But Hernandez had a hunch. John would not hold back.

John set himself again, in what Hernandez had recognized as his pre-lift ritual, getting his mind in the right space.  He got under the bar and stood. He was a bit wobbly at first, but he stepped back and planted himself. John went down … and exploded up in that same perfect form.  A strong GRUNT escaped his lips as he forced through the sticking point. A second rep, a third, and a fourth. John re-racked at 5 reps - 5 flawless reps. John looked up with a shit-eating grin on his face.  His legs were shaking and near-overflowing with blood from a massive pump, but he had done it.

Hernandez was just as proud.  “Aw shit bro. You were born to do this.  I’ve never seen that done by someone so perfect who is so new to this.  Never.”

John was smiling at the complements yes, but also at something he felt.  The pump … but this was different. He knew what a normal pump felt like.  This was more, like some wild endorphin running through his muscles that would let him do anything.  It was damned near intoxicating this feeling. He knew he was never going to hold back again. Do it safe, sure.  But push, and push his body hard. He had gone through literal hell to get to be able to use these legs again. He decided then and there, he was going to make himself - different.  

Hernandez asked as they took the plates off the bar, “You want to do anything else?”

“After that, my legs are pretty spent.  Think I am going to do some benching before I go.  That is what I was going to work today anyway.”

“Well, you ever need a spot or a lifting partner, you’ve got one here.  Anytime, any place.” Hernandez and John clasped hands.

“I may take you up on that.”  John smiled in reply. Hernandez took his leave and John moved back to the flat bench he had been using earlier.  He put 175 on the bar - his new bodyweight - and moved under it. Just like he had been taught, he started from the bottom up, positioning his feet and legs, ass, back, arms all in the proper positions.  He took a couple of deep breaths and then lifted up.

“Damn, this feels way lighter for some reason,”  John thought as he began to push out reps.

John’s thoughts became almost primal as the world seemed to fall away.  Slow. Controlled. Keep the bar over his nipple line. Push my body through the floor. But soon, within a couple of reps, John wasn’t thinking about even that.  He was FEELING the muscles. Feeling the pull and the push, squeezing at the top that felt second nature. He closed his eyes just to revel in it, even though he knew he shouldn't.  This was fuckin glorious. John had pushed out 6 reps and started to fatigued when --

He felt something.  Off balance. A new weight.  He opened his eyes.

Standing above him,  leaning down looking into his face with his hand on the center of the bar was Heath.  Heath was one of the SWAT team. 5’10”, 220 lbs of solid as a rock muscle. Heath began to smirk as between his leaning his body weight down onto the bar and a bit of his own power, John was quickly overcome.  The bar collapsed onto his chest. It was not hard enough to hurt him, but this amount of weight and leverage was just beyond his ability to fight.

Heath’s grin grew wider as he knew John could not fight back.  He was pinned under the bar. There wasn’t much question in Heath’s mind about John being able to fight back when he came up to him in he first place.  The growing but older man wasn’t nearly up to his level. “Hello Detective.” Heath began in a fake, almost sing-song voice, “Glad to see you up and around.  Really I am. That was a hell of an injury. And look at you now. Fully recovered and ripped to boot. Almost a little celebrity in our office. That must have been some rehab facility you were at.  Might have to ah … look into it myself sometime. With your new job, we will have plenty of time to talk about it I’m sure.

“I am glad to see you here,” Heath said smiling that superior smile that had never broken. John tried to struggle, but Heath just dumped more power into the bar keeping it in place.  “You should have come in a long time ago. Way past time you were putting some meat onto those bones. Our division believes in keeping your body at its prime.

“I kind of always have this chat with the newcomers, though.  Sort of explain things. See, I am all for you lifting here. And it looks like you are getting all the tools you will need - supplements and whatnot - to get you into good shape.  But, our division has a rule. Things that you might see that do not concern you, well they do not concern you. It looks like you have your own hook up and do not need my services. That’s cool.  Competition keeps things healthy. You just stay in your lane and keep your focus where it belongs and we are all good. You have my back and I have yours. Got me?”

John could do nothing but nod. “Good man.  Now, it looks like you went to failure. Good set, but it was a good thing I came by when I did.  Never know what kind of accident can happen when you go heavy without a spotter at your back.” Heath’s hand and wrist swung around from on top of the bar to a position cupping under it, and with an EASY lift, pulled the 175 pounds off of Declann and racked it.  “See you soon John and welcome.” Heath said as he turned his ripped bulk around and walked out the door.

John lay on the bench and breathed.  The old John - he would have been scared, run away, and never come back to this room.  The new John - that was different. This John Declann was PISSED. Something was happening here, in this room, under the very nose of the sheriff.  His fear of coming in here had made him blind to it. As John got up and went to collect his shirt, thoughts blazed in his mind, ripping apart what Heath said.  Dissecting it, analysing it, and forming a stratagem.

When John got home, thoughts of the day were still whirling.  And after what Hernandez had said, how much he had gone on and on.  And then Heath … John went to his bedroom and removed a small quad ruled notebook from his bed stand.  The notebook was filled with a series of charts, all neatly written in John’s meticulous small script. Most of the rear pages were tables of weights and reps, his workout logs which he did from memory every day.  But in the front, across the top of the page was a series of dates, each column having the one day. Falling under each date a series of numbers.

John took the book to the bathroom, pulled out his scales, and a myotape tape measure.  John carefully took the measurements and recorded them.

Height 5’9”

Weight 175.3 lbs

Neck:16.5 inches

Chest: 44 inches

Waist: 28 inches

Forearms: 13.5 inches

Upper Arms - 16.75 inches

Thighs - 24 inches

Calves - 16.5 inches

John looked down and smiled.  He was growing. Growing like a weed.  He did not know why, but he was. And he LOVED IT.  God, what it made him feel like he could do. Maybe it was all the food he had been eating.  Maybe it was what Jack said - that his martial arts had primed his body to grow once he began lifting weights.  But -- he had never shown Gabriel what he could do. In fact, he had never shown anyone until today when Hernandez saw him warming up the extent of his new found strength. His capability seemed to be growing as fast or faster than his body was changing.  He would have to tell Gabriel eventually. But how. How to make sure Gabriel did not think he was taking …

That was when it it him.  How to approach this Heath business.  It was perfect. The perfect cover. He would need to talk to the sheriff once he had a bearing where to look, but he was sure Cook would approve.  He let the problem of telling Gabriel what was happening go for the moment. He had better things to think about as far as Gabriel was concerned. Tomorrow…

John felt energized -- and hungry.  John replaced the book and the measuring tape and went to the kitchen for some food.  Some chicken, steamed veggies, and a salad would hit the spot ….

“John, where are we going in the middle of the afternoon?” Gabriel asked, truly puzzled.

Declann just smiled and responded with “Shhhhhhh.” He wanted to laugh so hard, finally doing that to Gabriel just once.  Gabriel watched as John deftly moved down Broadway and made a left turn. What at first was just a random run of Victorian era homes mixed with light industrial buildings gave way to something on the right that took Gabriel’s breath away.

“Welcome to Washington Park, or as the kids call it, Washpark.”  John said. What unfolded before Gabriel was an oasis in the urban desert.  Two large lakes surrounded by green hills and trees. Scattered over the hills, young adults were laying around catching the sun or playing Frisbee.  Several volleyball games were going on in sand pits. People walking their dogs. Parents sailing boats with their children and feeding the ducks.

John found a parking spot, got out of his vehicle, and filled the parking meter for several hours worth of stay.  Gabriel followed him, and, together, they walked into the fields of grass. John reached out and took Gabriel’s hand.  “This is what I wanted you to see and feel. This is what all these kids do when they are not in classes. And not just the kids.  Working people, parents, the retired. They all come here. You worked so hard to get where you are that I think you've forgotten what it is you’re fighting for.  What I fight for. This is it. People just living life. Seeing life not in criminals like me or inside of hospitals and labs like you. … Ah, there she is.”

John veered Gabriel to the left toward the shore of one of the lakes.  He had no idea how John spotted her among the huge wash of people. He didn’t catch sight of who John was even talking about until they were almost standing on top of her - an old, small Hispanic woman surrounded by Coleman coolers; the coolers stuffed full of foil wrapped small bundles.  “This woman is a Denver institution. All the kids just call her ‘The Burrito Lady.’ And I promise you that you haven't had food this good since you came to the US.”

“Senora”  John said, and the old woman's face lit up.  “Officer John. Nice to see a grown up again,” she laughed.  “The usual?”

John smiled in return, “Make it 4 with some guac.  I'm kind of hungry.”

The woman’s eyes widened a bit. “You certainly are,” she said as she reached into a cooler. She placed 4 bundles and a small plastic container of guacamole into a bag and handed them to John.  “And for your friend?”

“Do you have any fish tacos?”  Gabriel asked sheepishly.

The Burrito Lady laughed heartily, “Even if you were not English, I would know you are not from Colorado asking for that.  If this were tonight at the clubs, you would be out of luck. But as it is.” The woman went into a very small cooler and withdrew 3 bundles and placed them in another bag with some salsa verde and guacamole.  “Homemade Chips?” she asked.

John looked surprised, “Senora.  When did you start that? Of course. Anything you make is welcome.”

The woman grabbed a small paper bag and handed it to Gabriel along with his tacos.  “Ordinarily these would be just for my family and me but ...” She leaned over and gave one of those smiles that only mischievous grandma’s can make and get away with. “He is a keeper that one.  Really cute.” At that, both John and even Gabriel flushed bright red, and the Burrito Lady laughed so hard it almost burst a seam in her clothing. “I'm sorry, Officer John. I saw you holding hands and just had to say it.  Besides, it's the truth.”

“Thank you ma'am.  How much?” John said as he stumbled over the compliment.

“I've never charged you before, and I won't start now.”

“But …” Before John could say a word, she cut him off.  “I still owe you after you took care of those hooligans that night.  I'm an old woman. Being here you see a lot of things. A lot of people. Call it … an old woman’s intuition. And my contribution to the cause.  Now shoo.” She started waving her hands at the pair like they were suddenly a couple of pests.

“Thank you ma'am.  But you don't owe me anything…” John trailed off as the woman had already gone onto the next two customers as if John and Gabriel were not even there.  

Gabriel was about to say something when John said, “It's no use.  Once she has made up her mind, that's it. Trust me I know.” Gabriel now reached out for John’s hand, and John took it.  The pair turned around and started to walk around the lake.

“What did you do for her?  Something about hooligans?”  Gabriel asked.

“Oh, that.”  John demurred a bit when he talked about the things he had done for others during his time as a LEO.  It was a trait that Gabriel found endearing. “The senora doesn’t just do this here. She and her family also sell outside many of the larger dance clubs in the city, including the gay ones.  She has never been one to discriminate, and the gay community has sort of embraced her, as much as she is embraced in this park.

“One night a few years ago, several homophobes started to bother her in front of a club she was selling at.  I happened to be there, and I put a stop to it. It really is amazing what just a simple flash of a badge and standing up to bully shit can do.  Anyway, I made sure that they were dealt with by DPD, and she has never forgotten it to this day.”

The two men turned toward a small rise that had benches and sat down next to each other.  Gabriel pulled out a fish taco, loaded it with guac, and took a bite. His face lit up with glee.  

John laughed, “I told you they were good.” He took out one of his own barbacoa burritos and wolfed it down, almost without chewing he was so hungry.  John’s foray into carnivore-land was so fast that he left a rather large smear of guacamole in the corner of his mouth. Gabriel saw it and tried his best not to laugh.  “What is it?” John asked.

Gabriel reached a finger to John’s mouth and removed the green smear, wiping it on the wrapper his taco was in as he took another bite. “Nothing except something the ah… Burrito Lady? … said.  Just something cute.” Gabriel smiled a smile that could have melted a glacier.

John took a deep breath, and after seeing that smile, he decided to go for it.  He didn’t think he could keep it in anymore anyway. He slid closer and looked into his companion’s hazel eyes.  “Gabriel, since that first day I saw you running down that alley, there has been something about you. I...I can look into your eyes and see it. I can see it now.  An inner light that is so genuine. You gave me something back that I can never truly repay. And you have given me so much more in the weeks since.”

John reached down and grasped Gabriel’s hand.  “Yes, you gave me my legs back, but that isn’t it.  I was ready to give up. To quit. Just lie down. I was ready to leave everything behind that I ever loved.  You gave that back to me. Your mind, your skills, in so many ways, we are different. But...you make me feel something that no one else has.  You make me want to LIVE. LIVE like these kids here. You make me want to become more than I am. And, if you’ll let me, I want to see how much more I can be ... with you.”

Gabriel looked on the verge of tears as he slid closer to John, almost touching John’s pecs with is own chest.  John was about to say something, when Gabriel put his finger on John’s lips, “Shhhhhhhh.” Gabriel and John’s lips moved together until they met halfway.  The first moment of the kiss was tentative, as if they were both making sure this was real. But, as the chemistry they felt for so long finally overtook them, the kiss became more passionate and deep.  It was not fernetic or frantic. This was a kiss that could teach passion to even the most barren soul. They held it for a few precious seconds and then their lips parted. The tear that Gabriel tried to hold back finally fell, and John reached up to wipe it from his cheek.  “No more tears for you Gabriel. Not anymore.” John cupped Gabriel’s head with his hand and more powerfully their lips locked together. In that kiss, John and Gabriel completely crossed from being friends to lovers. They would never depart from that path again.

One Month Later--

“Hi Justine.  I believe that I have an appointment with the Sheriff.” The young secretary looked up from her terminal to see Declann standing in his newly purchased civil uniform.  It was the same style BCSO polo shirt, pants, and shoes he wore the morning of the crash. He wore his badge and sidearm on his belt. Nothing much had changed EXCEPT John had outgrown his previous set - by a lot. What he had on now was designed for his new size.  His muscles now clung to the polo with his unflexed biceps slightly stretching the short sleeve gathers. Two thick veins moved down his arms, with several smaller one spreading out across his exposed forearms. Wide shoulders swept to well-proportioned pecs and a V-taper to that same small waist he has always had.  John now cut a path through the Justice Center, all parts of it - even the gym, where he was now an accepted and respected lifter.

The secretary’s pupils dilated just a touch showing her attraction to the man who had taken on the look of a cut physique competitor rather than a thin martial artist.  

“Of course, Detective Declann,”  Justine said, trying to hide her thoughts and not doing well at it.  John inwardly smiled. He had been getting more and more reactions like that.  And the attention was starting to grow on him. Gabriel had been away most of the month, visiting his family in England.  But when they had been together just after their first date, Gabe had been having a bit of fun with the reactions too. But Gabriel had not seen John like this.  Not yet anyway. It would happen so fast it was like he was a teenager again…

Justine lifted her phone and pressed a button.  “Detective Declann is here to see you, Sir.” She smiled as she hung up the phone.  “Go on in, John.”

Declann thanked the woman and unconsciously bounced a pec, almost making her squeal.  But she was able to stifle it, even as she tried to get a look at the tight, round squater’s ass that filled out those trousers so well.  John knocked at the door of the Sheriff’s private office. “Come in.”

John opened the door, “Thank you for seeing me, Sir.”

“Of course John.  Anytime. And what is it that the SWAT team and taskforce are calling you now -  “Dec” I think. Sort of fits this new you.” The sheriff stood, walked around his desk, and took John’s weightlifter calloused hand, shaking it.  John closed the door and sat down in the chair in front of the sheriff’s desk as Cook retook his seat. “Now, what can I do for you?”

John cleared his throat.  He had been mulling this over for days, but it had to be done and done now.  “Sir. This may be indelicate at best. And if there is an internal investigation going on that I do not know about just tell me it’s being handled and I will go on.  But --- do you know what is happening inside the Officer’s Gym. With the SWAT team?”

Cook shifted in his seat, took a deep breath, and blew it out through pursed lips.  He steepled his index fingers but never looked up at the detective, choosing to listen instead.   “What have you seen John?”

“Nothing super overt.  A few weeks ago, I got a...let’s just say a not so subtle hint from Heath to mind my own business with what he called “the way things are.”  They haven’t actually made a transaction right in front of me or anything, but the talk, the actions that are not quite right. I know what is happening.  What they are doing. And they are doing a hell of a lot if I am any judge.” John confided.

“Damn,” Cook replied. “I had half-hoped with new eyes down there that you had seen something I could use.”

“Then you know?”

“Yes, I know.  I have for a while now.”  The sheriff cleared his own throat.  “In fact, John, this was part of the reason for your promotion.  You deserved it on your own merits. Don’t get me wrong. This just solidifies to me that the decision was the right one.  You were just in the perfect spot for me to get someone I can trust near them.

“Dec, you know as well as I do how prevalent use is among LEOs and in the military.  It kind of goes as accepted if they keep it to themselves and out of the workplace. I do not like it, but that is the way it has been since I came here as a trainee.  But this - this is something totally new. They are not just using -- they are moving product. And you’re right, from what small bits I can gather, they are moving a lot of it.  Enough for the Feds to make a case for trafficking, not just distribution. But, they are good, you know that. They know the methods. They are hiding it well. I cannot get any evidence that will stick.  I want it gone John. I want them where they belong and out of my Office. But I just have nothing to hang on them. Nothing I can bring to the US attorney and DIA to charge them with anyway.”

Declann nodded.  He knew John Cook was a proper lawman.  He would have done something if he could have.  “That is partly why I am here Sir. I have a proposal to make to you.  Something of an undercover assignment. You need someone who can track the route, follow the sources.  I think I have seen enough of them and followed the scuttlebutt that I can do that now. It is almost the perfect cover.  New to the gym, making gains that --”

“Look suspiciously like,” Cook interrupted. “I know.  John, before you go any further I have to ask, are you using?”

“No Sir.  And I am happy to test for you to prove it.  Even mass spec testing if you want. But they believe I am. Just from another source. Which plays into this even more.”

Cook made a hand gesture as if to take in John’s body  “Then this is part of --?”

“I really do not know SIR.  It has nothing to do with drugs or the accident or my rehab so far as I am aware other than the fact that they taught me whole new ways of working out there.  Dr. York said as much before he left for England. But, he said he is going to look into what is going on more thoroughly when he returns. He is a brilliant man, and I’m sure he will find an answer.”

Cook half-smiled as he heard Declann refer to his boyfriend like that.  Cook didn't care about the sexuality of his people, so long as they did not violate the law.  Besides he'd seen them together. They looked like they could make it, and Cook was glad for it.  

“OK, then.  We do not have to go as far as testing yet.  Or investigating you. Besides, if you were in with them, I doubt you would be sitting here right now.  So, you are proposing?” Declann and Cook spent the next hour going over what John wanted to do. It was potentially dangerous.  Very dangerous. This was not small man corner dealing they were talking about. And if word ever got out … But, John definitely had the know how, the experience, and he looked and acted the part.  Declann may be the break the BCSO needed.

John reached Gabriel on the phone later that day and explained that he had been given an undercover assignment.  He would not be back in Denver for two months, but John promised he would contact Gabriel how and where he could.  Gabriel sounded very upset, but he also knew that this was part of John’s work.

Gabriel did have something to ask John of his own.  His reports had piqued some interest, and the general in charge was considering allowing Gabriel additional personnel to try the technique with when spinal injuries arose that fit the profile.  Gabriel asked if when he got back, would John be willing to sit down with his superiors and talk about his experiences? It may move the project along greatly. Right now, it was in a total backwater with a very limited budget, despite what it may have looked like to John.  But that may change if John could show the results of the therapy in person. John agreed instantly. When he got back, they would sit down and work it all out. The two expressed their love to each other and again promised to talk as often as they could. John had arrived home by the time he had hung up.  

He went inside his condo, pulled out a couple of duffle bags, began to pack.  He had an idea of where to begin his search for the network. A gym in Colorado Springs.  All Cook wanted John to do was map out the network from the source labs to Boulder. He was to do nothing to try and stop the flow - not yet.  This was just evidence gathering, nothing more.

First thing John grabbed to pack was his measurement book. He looked the day’s data he had recorded before work.  He cocked a smile, wondering what this would be when he got home.

Height 5’11.5”

Weight 187 lbs

Neck:17 inches

Chest: 46 inches

Waist: 28.25 inches

Forearms: 14 inches

Biceps - 17.5 inches

Quads - 25.5 inches

Calves - 17 inches

Phenomenal chapter, Brad. 

You apologize for it being so long.  No no no.  Never apologize for giving us what we want - MORE.  Just like the Burrito Lady wouldn't ever dream of apologizing for making too many burritos or giving away too many gratis for John and Gabriel.  

There is depth in writing here that puts us in the moment. I can almost smell the grass at the park on a sunny day and feel the slight humiliation when Heath is pushing that bar into Dec's chest.  You make it real with your words.  There are hints of reality in this piece you are writing.  Yes, fantasy; but also enough detail and feeling that there also exists here some shadow of your own experience.  And that is what makes this such a pleasure to read.  

I personally can't wait for Gabriel to see Dec again.  And I can't wait for Dec to show off for him. He's becoming a bit cocky and I love it...and I imagine that Gabriel will LOVE this new development in John - mentally and physically. And I can't wait to see the trouble Dec gets into with his "colleagues."  So much to look forward to. 

I, for one, am needing MORE!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bradspencer said:

No way in hell. Not without help. The help they were all too familiar with. They saw that proper introductions would need to be made on the way thing were run.

Heath knows that whatever was done to Decclan affected his body and the SWAT foprce has their own "juice". He doesnt want Declan to inetrfere and that will cause a problem in the nearby future

7 hours ago, bradspencer said:

“Yes, you gave me my legs back, but that isn’t it.  I was ready to give up. To quit. Just lie down. I was ready to leave everything behind that I ever loved.  You gave that back to me. Your mind, your skills, in so many ways, we are different. But...you make me feel something that no one else has.  You make me want to LIVE. LIVE like these kids here. You make me want to become more than I am. And, if you’ll let me, I want to see how much more I can be ... with you.”

This was so damn sweet.

They are perfect for each otehr but Gabriel needs to tell Declan the truth. 

• Like 1

Love it.  Love it, love it, love it.  Did mention that I love it?  Haha.

Seriously, the chapter wasn't too long at all!  I could've us a longer one, lol.  When the writing and story telling is so good you don't even realize how long the chapter is.  And even with a somewhat long chapter we inevitably feel disappointed when the chapter ends because it was just so darn good. 

All the various characters and personalities are so believable.  From Carla, to Burrito Lady, to Hernandez and Heath as well.  You are managing the large scope of the story so well.  

Gabriel and John being apart for so long...I have a feeling Gabriel is going to be in for a BIG surprise.  And I can't wait to see his reaction. 

• Upvote 2

Loving the world expansion. Getting more character in. The time gap between Gabriel and John meeting again has me excited. So much possibility there. Keep up the good work. Cant wait for the next chapter

• Like 1