Sign in to follow this  
bulkybud

Comments On Your Physique

How do people feel when they get comments on their training progress?
I feel motivated by it. I like to think that I look bigger and stronger, but it's good to get that confirmed by others.

bulkybud

• Upvote 3

I have known a few guys who get turned off when you compliment them on their looks. In some cases, it's a matter of, "huh, you don't look good enough to be paying ME a compliment!" In others, they've grown up in deeply religiously (or some other reason) anti-gay households and are wracked with guilt over their sexual orientation. They've told me on more than one occasion that they assume ANY compliment is really criticism or scorn since they're so obviously (only to themselves!) undeserving of any attention. It's pretty sad stuff, IMO.

-- RPJ

• Upvote 2

I like to stay pretty humble when I get compliments. Lately many have taken notice that I'm bigger and stronger, so I'll get a range of comments either stating that fact or commenting I could help out in any situation that requires strength. I stay humble, but on the inside I love it. It fuels me so much to keep striving for more. If a workout gets rough, I think of a compliment I got, and it gives me strength

• Upvote 3

I have known a few guys who get turned off when you compliment them on their looks. In some cases, it's a matter of, "huh, you don't look good enough to be paying ME a compliment!" In others, they've grown up in deeply religiously (or some other reason) anti-gay households and are wracked with guilt over their sexual orientation. They've told me on more than one occasion that they assume ANY compliment is really criticism or scorn since they're so obviously (only to themselves!) undeserving of any attention. It's pretty sad stuff, IMO.

-- RPJ

That's really sad. Just because someone thinks that you are strong isn't necessarily sexual. They may just be thinking of who as the physical power to help them with a task they have to do.

That's what I've been encountering the last couple of days. It's been anything but sexual, it's been older women who need something moved by a nice, but strong, guy.

It's still motivating- to be recognized as strong and that makes me ready for the next workout session.

bulkybud.

There is a certain "respect" aspect to it, I'll agree. The bigger and better I've become through obvious hard work, the more looks and comments I've openly gotten. I'm more than happy to help anyone who asks and do occasionally. Now maybe its just my demeanor or approach but anytime I've commented on someone else's physique or workout its been 99% positively received. I'm not overly vocal in the gym though, so while I may admire someone I don't usually talk to them other than to nod my head and get on with my routine.

Once I commented on well built guy my age who was deadlifting something like 600# and benching #400+... and went something to the effect of "dude you are a beast! Amazing to watch"... so like I said, maybe just approach.

• Upvote 6

I don't think of myself as big or athletic, though I've made a lot of progress in the last couple of years, so when someone compliments me it can sometimes feel weird and take a while for me to figure out that they're talking about me and not being sarcastic or making fun. I think context has a lot to do with it...when friends or my bf are admiring my bicep, it feels really good. On the opposite side is when I'm having a chat with someone and they out-of-the-blue just want to worship or get off, that can sometimes be a turn-off. So a lot of it depends on context, because sometimes that sudden turn to sex/worship talk can be a huge turn-on, too.

• Upvote 1

This is an interesting topic.  For years, when I was growing up, lifting weights or wanting to get big and muscular was suspect. You were "weird" or "crazy" or "some kind of pervert" if you brought it up.  In more recent years, I've found that saying nothing about anything is the norm. When I do mention to people who ask that I work out, they either say "Oh, it shows" or they just grunt.

It seems to be the type of topic that is either too alien for most people to comment upon, or they are uncomfortable discussing it for a variety of reasons - they don't feel good about their own bodies, so they fear the inevitable comparison, they think there's some sort of sexual component to commenting on someone's physique, or they think it is vanity. 

Kind of strange - people who would have no problem acknowledging that a passing woman is attractive "Oh, she's cute" or "She's pretty" get all freaked out if you acknowledge, "Hey, that guy has a good build." 

As for me, when I do get a compliment, I always have that micro-second of doubt "Are you teasing me?" before I can relax and say, "Oh, thanks!" 

Way too complicated!!

Mdlftr

• Upvote 1

I still get shy and embarrassed at the attention. It's almost like I feel I don't deserve the compliment, then I have to remind myself that i've worked really, really hard to be where I'm at. I was always the tall skinny kid that the jocks picked on. That, I think, has played a part in my desire to be as big as possible. Sometimes I daydream about going to one of my class reunions and crushing a couple of ex jocks.

• Upvote 10

I still get shy and embarrassed at the attention. It's almost like I feel I don't deserve the compliment, then I have to remind myself that i've worked really, really hard to be where I'm at. I was always the tall skinny kid that the jocks picked on. That, I think, has played a part in my desire to be as big as possible. Sometimes I daydream about going to one of my class reunions and crushing a couple of ex jocks.

Oh, that is so true, Swolegoal. That is like having your soul cleansed, lol. I, too, was bullied at school, but that was a time when there was no support for it, not even a real name for it.

I don't think I would want to crush them, but I would rather sit there among them with my "big, muscular body" and pretend they were non-existent, lol.

Great topic guys and very interesting aspects. I've been self motivated to get results in the last 4 years, gym 5 times a week and after the first year i've been getting compliments. Either on my guns, my double chin has gone, or the bf saying that his clothes look good on me or calling me Mr Muscles.

Despite the dedication I've put into this body I still struggle to accept the compliments, even though I acknowledge and praise the giver for it. When they are in a worship session it is different, feel quite flattering, motivational and accepted without awkwardness on my part.