The Man Who Saved Me (Updated 30 Jan - Chapters 1 to THE END)

I was an amazing adventure. I thought it was a cool take on "Superhero's" and I always look forward to the next chapter.  Thank you for closing your stories and never leaving it undone. Keep up the writing and good luck with your bodybuilding and Navy basic training, even though I am Army, lol. Great job and I hope you get to write other stories before you get to busy.

Speech500, call me a sap but your story was fantastic. The final chapter found tears rolling down my cheeks.   Great job and I hope to see more stories from you.  I have some in my head and write them down but never have the nerve to submit them.  Thank you.

17 hours ago, Speech500 said:

There it is, all finished up.

Look, I'm going to be honest with you. I'm kind of burning out on this story. I had a whole other conflict planned with a replica superpower from China, and the events of this chapter were going to stretch across a dozen chapters or more. But the story felt like it was starting to drag, I want to write different stories, I want to focus more on my own bodybuilding training, and I have Navy Basic starting in March, which will completely rule out anything like this. I didn't want to leave this story hanging. So while the ending may feel rushed, I hope you forgive me.

I can't overstate how much I appreciate all of the feedback that this story has received. It's been so overwhelmingly positive. It has made me feel better about myself, about my writing, and I feel like I've made multiple friends along the way.

I, for one, forgive you.

Writing is hard, which is often forgotten. I know myself - ideas come, bloom spectacularly, and then suddenly die. It’s really rather difficult to keep a story alive, and just as difficult to satisfactorily end one.

The idea peters out, and it’s orignal attractions to you fade. With that, your motivations fade too. And writing without motivation is quite simply a chore. You’ve set in motion a series of events, and it turns out to be almost impossible to properly tie things together. 

The number of endings - from stories here to full novels - that I’ve actually liked are few and far between. Often, the best stories have some of the most hollow endings - it’s usually just not possible to close Pandora’s box in a single chapter. Something always feels missing, the end anticlimactic. 

Great writing. Thank you for taking the time to write this love story and share it with us.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:33 AM, Speech500 said:

My goofball. My indestructible, unstoppable, charming, protective, handsome, tall, loving, compassionate, intelligent, charismatic, muscular, beautiful goofball. I love you. I love you more than any words will ever be able to express. But I’ll do my best anyway.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:33 AM, Speech500 said:

me and time again, you have rescued me. I’d have died a dozen times by now, if not for you. The man who saved me. But we can’t always win. Not every story has a happy ending. And when my heart stops, I will be thinking of you. 

200.gif

Absolutely heartbreaking and an unexpected ending-

Some can say it's rushed but i feel it's perfect. Real life screw you over like that. One day you are happy and the next everything is gone-

Jake had an amazing life with Dean. He enjoyed everything he could and more. He died a happy man and in the arms of the man he loved. The Man who save him.

I say Bravo for this story.

BRAVO!

• Like 2

Well, it's about the journey not the destination and I enjoyed the journey very much. Still could have done without the "bury your gays" trope though. Good luck with your bodybuilding and navy things!

Well that was quite an unexpected ending. Such a tear-jerker. Speech, you created something truly amazing, profound, moving, terrifying and unforgettable. I've just wiped my eyes clean and I'm sitting here feeling somewhat empty, but also satiated. So you're going into the Navy, are a bodybuilder yourself, AND you have this amazing talent. I'm sort of picturing another Adam Charlton, who not only has god-like looks himself, but is one of the most amazing artists I've ever seen. His stuff is photo-realistic. It's not fair that such average blokes like me have to share the planet with multi-talented geniuses like you, sir. And now I'm picturing you as a hunk in your own right. Maybe you modeled Dean off yourself, lol. I'm two chapters in to my own superhero story, but I write in spurts, and sometimes the next one doesn't happen for ages. But if I do get through it, I won't be posting it until its fully completed. "The Man Who Saved Me" has ended, and I'm feeling loss because of it. Still, I'm honoured that I got to experience something so emotionally stimulating. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind reviews. I'm glad the ending didn't leave anyone too unsatisfied. This story ended up at over 60,000 words, which puts it at novella-length, so I'm glad it pleased some of the people on this site. 

I cried substantially when I read the final chapter. But that was yesterday. I wanted to read it again, and give it a sort of movie "end credits" send-off/fade-out ambience. So this is the music I listened to as Jake wrote his letter to Dean, and as his tear hit the page; and then when Jake closed his eyes for the last time and fell asleep in Dean's arms. Now I'm sobbing my eyes out and this music felt very appropriate. Try this if you want a REALLY good cry: MUSIC LINK

• Like 2

Fuck Me.  I just finally caught up on the last bits, Speech500.  Apparently this is ugly cry week for me on the forum.  It was a cathartic so at least I didn't have the urge to throw anything at my computer screen, lol.

Thank you for sharing this endearing, heartfelt epic with us.  I hope bodybuilding training continues to go well (seriously - that pull up shot was wild) and that your experience in the Navy works out!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't cried like this since the end of Voltron.

Speech500, I just want for you to really feel proud of what you've created. I know you must be overwhelmed by crazy people like me basically commenting how your story is better than any of Shakespeare's plays, but I feel the need to let you know that all of the hard work you've put onto this story has been totally worth it, although you probably already know this. 
It's just that it's not every day that I get the chance to congratulate a writer for creating a story I love, mostly because they're famous and I don't have a way to contact them either. But now I'm able to let you know that I give you my sincerest thanks for having dedicated your time to write a story of such quality "por amor al arte"; moved by the pleasure of creating art.
I could go on for ages praising your writing. I really appreciate that you've shared it with us. Causing such strong emotions on your readers that you make them cry like babies is remarkable. I want to wish you the best for all the upcoming chapters of your life that you will start writing for yourself.

By the way, I love the ending. It's so sudden and heartbreaking and yet so simple it perfectly resembles real life.

Also, this is definitely a better love story than Twilight. Maybe huge musclar gay men will someday beat vampires at selling books...