The Man Who Saved Me (Updated 30 Jan - Chapters 1 to THE END)

I want to say as a guy who suits up for charity as supes alot and in my spare time as SuperMuscleMan i love this story. Its so deep! The fact its in my part of the world is even better. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MrG2U said:

O M G. This story is truly a great work of an extremely talented artist and writer.

Having returned to work this past week I have not had the time to follow any developments. I have now caught up, - a much broader canvas which gives it far more depth. Its feeling as if I had originally been watching this story unfold on a my phone's screen only to realise in the last few chapters that I am in an Holodeck, so fully immersive is your narrative.

I am so pleased that Jake and Dean have support from characters in their past. Even though Brad mistook Dean for having sex with his Kat, when the dust has settled I suspect Brad and Dean may become allies, Brad able to teach combat skills and planning manoeuvers to them both. If the government is involved, I suspect, in time, international interests will show up next. 

I can't help but suspect the red pills will prove ineffective against Dean's powers. If the only way to obtain the formula is by taking a sample of Dean's blood and Dean totally destroyed all the previous evidence of the old lab, how did these pills survive? Dean is exponentially more powerful than when he escaped the experiments and possibly may gain vastly more power. 

This work is worthy of feature film status but I can't see Hollywood producing it. Apart from the glitz and glamour, Hollywood is known for its politics - oppressive towards LGBT rights.  There are other production studios and it could be shown at the Cannes Film Festival.

Many, many thanks to you, Speech500!

I agree with you that this story is a great work and that Speec500 is exceptionally talented. I read this quietly aloud in my room, mouthing every word as if acting out the scene. I had tears in my eyes throughout. I think he's on to a winner here, and suggested previously that he should pitch this as a movie. Mainstream Hollywood would never pick it up, of course, and if it did it would most definitely be painted over with heterosexual tones. The story works because it emboldens gay desires which sets it apart from simply the hero and the damsel in distress. It would have an audience, of course, in us. But there's not enough of us buying tickets for the studio to turn a profit. And independent studio might be interested, and Netflix certainly would, as they dare to be different anyway, and their LGBT library is growing. In fact, there is a marvelous movie on there called "Holding the Man" and I totally recommend it. Imagine what could happen if the director/producer of that film were to read "The Man Who Saved Me".  Superbly written and acted and is about two gay blokes who fall in love in the 1970s and the obstacles they encounter over a 15 year period. I would give away all my worldly possessions to see Speech500 become a massive success with this. I mean, we live in a horrid time where fat, bored housewives can write S&M shite and make millions from it.

Of course, if the movie did get made, Dean would be impossible to cast. CGI is nowhere near where it needs to be to create a believable massive muscle-god with the body of an Adonis ramped up to 1,000,000. I don't think it would work if he was the size of a fitness model or bodybuilder. He'd have to be at least as big as the Hulk. Still, we can dream. Anyhoo, best get back to the story I'm writing, but "The Man Who Saved Me" is tremendously good inspiration to keep my creative juices flowing. I eagerly await the next chapter.

• Like 2

JP is right.  If mainstream Hollywood were to get a hold of this and decide to turn it into a movie, I think the following changes would be made:

1) Jake would be made into a woman.  Jessica or something, because despite the fact that some conservatives like to follow the word "Hollywood" with the word "liberals," they're not exactly LGBT-friendly.  I mean, you can count on one hand the number of mainstream movies out there with a homosexual person as the main character.

2) Dean would be either a) sized down to the size of a big-name actor with that kind of physique, e.g. Chris Hemsworth, or b) an amalgam of said actor and lots and lots of CGI to pump him up to Hulk size.

3) Chapter 20 would be toned down excessively, because all that carnage would push it beyond an R rating.

4) The sex scenes would be implied, if they were to happen at all.

5) It would probably be filmed either in Canada, or a soundstage in Burbank.

Of course, that's if they don't toss it immediately.  Nevertheless, this is excellent writing and I'm patiently, yet eagerly, awaiting the exciting conclusion.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Speech500 said:

“I thought it would be a blur, like on Smallville.

Loved the reference.

16 hours ago, Speech500 said:

We all have monsters of one kind or another. It just so happens that your monster comes with abs. But Dean is a monster all the same.”

This part was soon point. Dean is a monster.A good one but one nontheless.

Welp things scalated quickly lets hope Brad ends up helping Dean and Jake instead of doing harm to them.I can see Brad as a good sidekick

• Like 3

On a point of interest, I have a friend State side who tells me a little story which I think should be implied here.

A few years ago, my friend J and I were speaking in a transatlantic phone call about the series of movies starting with The Matrix. He told me about a writer friend who had written a screen play which involved major parts and plot lines that appeared in the 1st movie. This was many years before the film was made. This writer friend submitted his script as a result of 'any talented or budding writers' request by Hollywood studios. It was rejected and returned. Yes, names and certain details were changed from his script in the movie. Not quite sure how he got on, but I believe he started a lawsuit claiming plagiarism.

If, in a few years time, Hollywood releases a film with uncanny characters, narration and plot lines, I would hope that Speech500 has the full proceeds of his work rather than being plagiarised by a team of back room nondescripts.

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I don't really see this story going anywhere film-related. It works for some of the people on this forum because it's made for this demographic, but it has neither the quality nor the mass market appeal that would make a good film. Plus let's be honest, this story is heavily inspired by Superman, so it's not like I've come up with anything original. 

9 hours ago, Ro20316 said:

Loved the reference.

This part was soon point. Dean is a monster.A good one but one nontheless.

Welp things scalated quickly lets hope Brad ends up helping Dean and Jake instead of doing harm to them.I can see Brad as a good sidekick

Aye, monster indeed. Ch 20 absolutely terrified me. I've never been affected by literature before, the way that chapter had me shaking in fear, whilst tears streamed down my face. I can't get the visions of what Dean did to those men out of my head, and it's been a few days since I read it. Speech500's writing pops out at you. It has a clarity I rarely experience from fiction, not even from my own (and I wish I could write like that). To me the best book ever written is Stephen King's "The Stand". And "The Man Who Saved Me" is the best thing I've ever read since reading "The Stand". I can't give it high enough praise. OMG, the things Dean Lawson did to those men... I'm tearing up just thinking about it (again). I'm not upset for the men at all. I'm horrified at what they made Dean do, and that Jake had to witness it, although there was absolutely nothing he could have done to stop his boyfriend -- nay, his soul mate -- from becoming a monster. But things have moved on. Jake managed to get him on a leash during the confrontation with Kat's wanker boyfriend, and the dialogue in that last chapter we read was alive and pulsing and so easy to see in my mind. It played like a movie in my head.  The way Speech500 described Dean's muscles through that shirt was utter perfection.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Speech500 said:

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I don't really see this story going anywhere film-related. It works for some of the people on this forum because it's made for this demographic, but it has neither the quality nor the mass market appeal that would make a good film. Plus let's be honest, this story is heavily inspired by Superman, so it's not like I've come up with anything original. 

I mentioned to you the movie "Brightburn" that's coming out in May. Watch the trailer on YouTube. It TOTALLY rips off Superman's origin story, but it's a horror film. And your story sets a new benchmark for quality. Don't sell yourself short. There are some independent film makers that make awesome movies: Mark and Jay Duplass; Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead. I love their stuff. Check out Creep and Creep 2 and Room 104 from the Duplass Brothers, and Spring, The Endless, and Resolution from Moorehead and Benson. Their stuff is AMAZING. And you've inspired me to quit drinking and get writing again. I'm not publishing my story "Bloom" on here until it's finished. I'm dedicating it to you. 'Nuff said. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a short chapter, and it comes a little late, but I will (hopefully) be posting two more in the coming hours. 

Chapter 24

DEAN

From high over in the stratosphere, one by one, I watch them all file in.

A meeting has been called in Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, informally known as Cobra. When the government needs to convene at short notice to plan a response in times of emergency, this is where they gather. Meetings have been made public knowledge in the past, but just as often they are kept secret. Today’s assembly appears to be the latter.

Unfortunately for them, it’s impossible to keep a secret from me. The moment Jake told me the government were behind this, I won. They lost. They just don't know it yet.

Around this table are a number of people I recognise, and a few I don’t. The Prime Minister, of course. On one side, the Foreign secretary, who represents the UK in international affairs and assumes responsibility for the Secret Intelligence Service - MI6. On the other side of the PM is the Home Secretary, representative of the Security Service – MI5. Among them also are the directors and executives of GCHQ, the UK’s cyber-intelligence unit, the Secretary for Defence, an SAS officer (one of the kidnappers who wasn’t at the factory when I arrived), the Mayor of London, and a woman from the CIA.

They take their seats under the dim light of a lamp that won’t stop buzzing, completely confident that their soundproofing, signal blockers and armed guards will keep away any unwanted ears.

That’s cute.

The PM flicks to a page in his file, adjusts his glasses, and begins to read. “I have called this meeting to calculate and plan a response to the unsettling developments of the last few days.” He coughs. “We recently became aware of the presence of a genetically enhanced man living in Greater London. Our sources identified him as Dean Lawson, but were unable to learn of his origins, the extent of his abilities, or what his plans were. Due to the potential threat posed by such an individual, the intelligence services began thoroughly monitoring Mr Lawson, as well as anyone he regularly interacted with – especially his apparent partner, Jake Langley.” At the mention of Jake, I focus on the page in front of the Prime Minister, and find a small but detailed profile complete with a picture of him in his Shard pastry chef uniform.

“Motion sensing cameras at the Treble Wharf facility in Suffolk identified Langley and Lawson entering the ruined building. The facility was once part of a Cold War project to create superhumans for military use, until the building was destroyed in the early 2000s, killing everyone inside. Since then all information about Treble Wharf has been designated classified and the site has been quarantined. A recovery team was dispatched to comb through the wreckage, but found that all evidence had been destroyed, with the exception of a bottle of pills which could temporarily reduce or eliminate these enhancements.”

I feel my muscles tense. What the fuck? How could something like that exist? The idea of the government holding a tool which could take away my powers… I can’t allow it. Did I really miss them when I cleared out the building? I was certain I had destroyed everything.  

“In late May, with the help of Langley, Lawson began a crime-fighting campaign, using his power to stop crimes, and anonymously sending the evidence to the relevant law enforcement. While this may have been positive, and indicated that Lawson wanted to work within the confines of the law, we were concerned that Lawson would turn on big businesses, political allies, and influential figures whom he perceived as criminal. The video footage was carefully analysed in order to gain a rudimentary understanding of his abilities, which we believe to be enormous. It was decided by myself, the Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, and Secretary for Defence, that that he could not be left to operate independently. Lawson was to be contained, destroyed, controlled, or relieved of his power.” He says, before closing his file and nodding to the man across from him.

The Secretary for Defence is a small, squat man whose waistcoat strains to wrap around his prodigious gut. He looks somewhat like a beaver, complete with long white whiskers poking from his nose. “Any attempting to apprehend or destroy the target poses incredible risks. Working in conjunction with MI5, we sought a solution which bypassed confrontation with Mr Lawson.” His voice comes out as a shrill, nasal squeak. “That solution was an SAS raid in which Jake Langley was captured from his flat in Central London and moved to a secret location in Bristol. Several violent crimes were staged throughout the city in order to draw away Lawson’s attention from the scene. We aimed for a simple hostage situation. Exploit Lawson’s relationship with Langley to coerce him into working on our behalf. This plan succeeded briefly…” A long, silent pause.

Say it, asshole. I snarl to myself. Say it. Tell them how you failed.

“…until Lawson tracked down the location, freed Langley, and violently massacred the Special Forces operatives at the scene. The pills from Treble Wharf were taken, among other classified information, which may lead Lawson to recognise our part in the operation. If this happens, his instability could pose an even greater threat.”

My righteous indignation gives way to confusion. The pills were taken? Did Jake steal them, or did someone else come along? That must be it. Why wouldn’t Jake tell me if he found something like that?

The Secretary for Defence places five files on the table with quiet deliberation. “I have set aside a number of possible response options. The first and simplest is a total denial of all responsibility. If Lawson approaches us, we simply pretend nothing happened. No knowledge of the events can be shared with anyone whatsoever, all paperwork is destroyed. Based on Lawson’s usual compliance with the law, plausible deniability may be enough to persuade him.”

Good luck with that, asshole.

“The second option is a heartfelt apology for our actions, and a reasoned plea for cooperation. We have wide ranging security powers which could be used to protect those close to Mr Lawson in exchange for his future compliance. He might even be persuaded to allow blood samples to be taken so that others with his power can be created, as long as he is given oversight of the project.”

Hmm. I like the part about the apology, and protecting Jake. But they’re insane if they think even a drop of my blood is going anywhere. Besides, nothing can pierce my skin. Their only real tool was the pills and they’re gone.

“Thirdly, we could deflect responsibility onto a foreign power or terrorist organisation. Or we could perform another abduction of Mr Langley, though this would be difficult as his location is currently unknown.”

I clench my teeth so hard that it produces heat. If they even think about it, their little room and everything around it will be reduced to a crater faster than the time it takes for an atom to split.

Now the minister pauses. “…Or a direct, all-out attack on Lawson himself, using the most powerful weaponry available.”

Just try it, asshole. Give me a reason to break you.

The GCHQ representative has remained silent throughout the discussion, but now clears his throat to draw the attention of the table to him. He taps his fingers on the polished mahogany in a haphazard rhythm. “Pardon my bluntness, but aren’t these responses a little… crude? I would like to propose an alternative. Manipulation. Seed stories into the media which force Mister Lawson into a negative light. False testimonies, political condemnation, accusations of extrajudicial killings and unlawful behaviour, perhaps even fund a Hollywood horror film about a superhero who turns evil and starts to kill everyone. Mister Lawson wants morally simple and clean. He wants to satisfy his ego by becoming a hero. All we need to do is complicate matters. Make him doubt himself, his convictions, and create the impression that changing the world does more harm than good. Make him give up.” This is received with a number of positive murmurs.

“I like this idea, but I think it would be a waste of Lawson’s potential. This man is a living WMD. We can’t expect him to become an accountant.” The Foreign Minister announces, a shrewd smile creeping across his angular face. “What if use those same tools - media, Hollywood, and political discourse – to the opposite effect. Encourage Lawson. Ingrain him with such conviction that he acts without hesitation or thought. Then we fabricate criminal activity around certain targets that this government cannot reach. We would need to tip him off, but planting undercover agents shouldn’t be hard. Think about it. A foreign head of state threatens to embargo British finance? Make him out to be a paedophile and Lawson will take care of him for us.”

Now that’s a suggestion that the room can get behind. The men and women around the table express their agreement with clear enthusiasm, already planning out how to turn me into a puppet under their sway. How to control me. Because any power that isn’t under their complete authority is a threat, because they’re the only ones who can be trusted with strength.

But now I know their game. These politicians will never control me.

A part of me rises to the surface – the part Jake always warns me about. It whispers seductively from the back of my mind. I resist as well as I can, but it’s very persuasive. These fat cats don’t respect me. Appealing to their laws and customs was the wrong idea. It made them see me as weak. But I’m not weak, I’m stronger than anyone and anything in existence. And it’s about damn time these assholes recognised it.

It’s time they felt a little fear.