Speech500

The Man Who Saved Me (Updated 20 Jan - Chapters 1 to 23)

2 hours ago, MrG2U said:

O M G. This story is truly a great work of an extremely talented artist and writer.

Having returned to work this past week I have not had the time to follow any developments. I have now caught up, - a much broader canvas which gives it far more depth. Its feeling as if I had originally been watching this story unfold on a my phone's screen only to realise in the last few chapters that I am in an Holodeck, so fully immersive is your narrative.

I am so pleased that Jake and Dean have support from characters in their past. Even though Brad mistook Dean for having sex with his Kat, when the dust has settled I suspect Brad and Dean may become allies, Brad able to teach combat skills and planning manoeuvers to them both. If the government is involved, I suspect, in time, international interests will show up next. 

I can't help but suspect the red pills will prove ineffective against Dean's powers. If the only way to obtain the formula is by taking a sample of Dean's blood and Dean totally destroyed all the previous evidence of the old lab, how did these pills survive? Dean is exponentially more powerful than when he escaped the experiments and possibly may gain vastly more power. 

This work is worthy of feature film status but I can't see Hollywood producing it. Apart from the glitz and glamour, Hollywood is known for its politics - oppressive towards LGBT rights.  There are other production studios and it could be shown at the Cannes Film Festival.

Many, many thanks to you, Speech500!

I agree with you that this story is a great work and that Speec500 is exceptionally talented. I read this quietly aloud in my room, mouthing every word as if acting out the scene. I had tears in my eyes throughout. I think he's on to a winner here, and suggested previously that he should pitch this as a movie. Mainstream Hollywood would never pick it up, of course, and if it did it would most definitely be painted over with heterosexual tones. The story works because it emboldens gay desires which sets it apart from simply the hero and the damsel in distress. It would have an audience, of course, in us. But there's not enough of us buying tickets for the studio to turn a profit. And independent studio might be interested, and Netflix certainly would, as they dare to be different anyway, and their LGBT library is growing. In fact, there is a marvelous movie on there called "Holding the Man" and I totally recommend it. Imagine what could happen if the director/producer of that film were to read "The Man Who Saved Me".  Superbly written and acted and is about two gay blokes who fall in love in the 1970s and the obstacles they encounter over a 15 year period. I would give away all my worldly possessions to see Speech500 become a massive success with this. I mean, we live in a horrid time where fat, bored housewives can write S&M shite and make millions from it.

Of course, if the movie did get made, Dean would be impossible to cast. CGI is nowhere near where it needs to be to create a believable massive muscle-god with the body of an Adonis ramped up to 1,000,000. I don't think it would work if he was the size of a fitness model or bodybuilder. He'd have to be at least as big as the Hulk. Still, we can dream. Anyhoo, best get back to the story I'm writing, but "The Man Who Saved Me" is tremendously good inspiration to keep my creative juices flowing. I eagerly await the next chapter.

• Like 1

JP is right.  If mainstream Hollywood were to get a hold of this and decide to turn it into a movie, I think the following changes would be made:

1) Jake would be made into a woman.  Jessica or something, because despite the fact that some conservatives like to follow the word "Hollywood" with the word "liberals," they're not exactly LGBT-friendly.  I mean, you can count on one hand the number of mainstream movies out there with a homosexual person as the main character.

2) Dean would be either a) sized down to the size of a big-name actor with that kind of physique, e.g. Chris Hemsworth, or b) an amalgam of said actor and lots and lots of CGI to pump him up to Hulk size.

3) Chapter 20 would be toned down excessively, because all that carnage would push it beyond an R rating.

4) The sex scenes would be implied, if they were to happen at all.

5) It would probably be filmed either in Canada, or a soundstage in Burbank.

Of course, that's if they don't toss it immediately.  Nevertheless, this is excellent writing and I'm patiently, yet eagerly, awaiting the exciting conclusion.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Speech500 said:

“I thought it would be a blur, like on Smallville.

Loved the reference.

16 hours ago, Speech500 said:

We all have monsters of one kind or another. It just so happens that your monster comes with abs. But Dean is a monster all the same.”

This part was soon point. Dean is a monster.A good one but one nontheless.

Welp things scalated quickly lets hope Brad ends up helping Dean and Jake instead of doing harm to them.I can see Brad as a good sidekick

• Like 3

On a point of interest, I have a friend State side who tells me a little story which I think should be implied here.

A few years ago, my friend J and I were speaking in a transatlantic phone call about the series of movies starting with The Matrix. He told me about a writer friend who had written a screen play which involved major parts and plot lines that appeared in the 1st movie. This was many years before the film was made. This writer friend submitted his script as a result of 'any talented or budding writers' request by Hollywood studios. It was rejected and returned. Yes, names and certain details were changed from his script in the movie. Not quite sure how he got on, but I believe he started a lawsuit claiming plagiarism.

If, in a few years time, Hollywood releases a film with uncanny characters, narration and plot lines, I would hope that Speech500 has the full proceeds of his work rather than being plagiarised by a team of back room nondescripts.

• Like 1

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I don't really see this story going anywhere film-related. It works for some of the people on this forum because it's made for this demographic, but it has neither the quality nor the mass market appeal that would make a good film. Plus let's be honest, this story is heavily inspired by Superman, so it's not like I've come up with anything original. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ro20316 said:

Loved the reference.

This part was soon point. Dean is a monster.A good one but one nontheless.

Welp things scalated quickly lets hope Brad ends up helping Dean and Jake instead of doing harm to them.I can see Brad as a good sidekick

Aye, monster indeed. Ch 20 absolutely terrified me. I've never been affected by literature before, the way that chapter had me shaking in fear, whilst tears streamed down my face. I can't get the visions of what Dean did to those men out of my head, and it's been a few days since I read it. Speech500's writing pops out at you. It has a clarity I rarely experience from fiction, not even from my own (and I wish I could write like that). To me the best book ever written is Stephen King's "The Stand". And "The Man Who Saved Me" is the best thing I've ever read since reading "The Stand". I can't give it high enough praise. OMG, the things Dean Lawson did to those men... I'm tearing up just thinking about it (again). I'm not upset for the men at all. I'm horrified at what they made Dean do, and that Jake had to witness it, although there was absolutely nothing he could have done to stop his boyfriend -- nay, his soul mate -- from becoming a monster. But things have moved on. Jake managed to get him on a leash during the confrontation with Kat's wanker boyfriend, and the dialogue in that last chapter we read was alive and pulsing and so easy to see in my mind. It played like a movie in my head.  The way Speech500 described Dean's muscles through that shirt was utter perfection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Speech500 said:

As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, I don't really see this story going anywhere film-related. It works for some of the people on this forum because it's made for this demographic, but it has neither the quality nor the mass market appeal that would make a good film. Plus let's be honest, this story is heavily inspired by Superman, so it's not like I've come up with anything original. 

I mentioned to you the movie "Brightburn" that's coming out in May. Watch the trailer on YouTube. It TOTALLY rips off Superman's origin story, but it's a horror film. And your story sets a new benchmark for quality. Don't sell yourself short. There are some independent film makers that make awesome movies: Mark and Jay Duplass; Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead. I love their stuff. Check out Creep and Creep 2 and Room 104 from the Duplass Brothers, and Spring, The Endless, and Resolution from Moorehead and Benson. Their stuff is AMAZING. And you've inspired me to quit drinking and get writing again. I'm not publishing my story "Bloom" on here until it's finished. I'm dedicating it to you. 'Nuff said. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1