thepump

Protein daily amount and growth

Hi all,

After a long time meal prepping and having to deal with busy and stressful periods (everything looks great and planned at the beginning but then life gets crazy!) I have decided that I needed to simplify my tactics to keep getting results. 

Assuming the diet is generally not too bad, and that I know which bad carbs to avoid and good ones to eat, the one thing I lacked was enough protein. I was eating about 100-120 g a day and that’s probably not enough.

I then assumed that 160-180g would be a decent target (I am 6’ tall and 97kg) and I am now just estimating the protein content and making sure I eat enough. If I don’t reach it, I’d add protein shakes, milk or yoghurt in the evening to balance. 2 weeks in and seems to be working (more time will tell more). 

I am curious as what other guys do. Do you track all your nutrients? How do you manage your time (I’m very busy and sometimes meal prepping is a nice unrealistic idea).

luckily here in Sydney there are lots of healthy and protein loaded options everywhere...

Very determined to get from current 97kg to a quality 100kg by Xmas!

let me know what you guys think!

:)

49 minutes ago, thepump said:

Hi all,

After a long time meal prepping and having to deal with busy and stressful periods (everything looks great and planned at the beginning but then life gets crazy!) I have decided that I needed to simplify my tactics to keep getting results. 

Assuming the diet is generally not too bad, and that I know which bad carbs to avoid and good ones to eat, the one thing I lacked was enough protein. I was eating about 100-120 g a day and that’s probably not enough.

I then assumed that 160-180g would be a decent target (I am 6’ tall and 97kg) and I am now just estimating the protein content and making sure I eat enough. If I don’t reach it, I’d add protein shakes, milk or yoghurt in the evening to balance. 2 weeks in and seems to be working (more time will tell more). 

I am curious as what other guys do. Do you track all your nutrients? How do you manage your time (I’m very busy and sometimes meal prepping is a nice unrealistic idea).

luckily here in Sydney there are lots of healthy and protein loaded options everywhere...

Very determined to get from current 97kg to a quality 100kg by Xmas!

let me know what you guys think!

:)

The general rule of thumb that I have heard on a large number of occasions is "one gram of protein for every kilogram of bodyweight", so in theory 100g should be more than enough. If you are finding it is not, then my first port of call would be your local doctor to ask "Do I suffer from a condition that makes it tricky for me to absorb protein and if so, can you give me any advice?"

You'll hear wide range of protein requirements wherever you look. There are a lot of different variables at play such as age, body composition, physical activity level, and goals.
What I generally try to shoot for, and I am no sports medicine doctor, is 1.2g per lb minimum. I currently weigh 235lbs so that's about 280g of protein per day. As I'm bulking I'm not too worried about eating too much protein as I welcome the additional calories :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anonymister said:

You'll hear wide range of protein requirements wherever you look. There are a lot of different variables at play such as age, body composition, physical activity level, and goals.
What I generally try to shoot for, and I am no sports medicine doctor, is 1.2g per lb minimum. I currently weigh 235lbs so that's about 280g of protein per day. As I'm bulking I'm not too worried about eating too much protein as I welcome the additional calories :)

This is generally correct - but the specifics vary from person to person.

This is just what i learned from the fitness personalities i follow who usually have studies to back up their reasoning, i can try to link back to their post if you want, in general, most state the ideal is from as low as 0,3grams to 1,5grams per kg of body weight per day ordinarily, and as high as 2-3grams/kg body weight/day when in a caloric deficit.
However, keep in mind these numbers are the median of a variety of results within a pool of subjects, with some subjects benefiting from even less than the results of the study to other subjects not benefitting at all and some even losing muscle at those numbers, so it's still very individual and should be used as a general guide that can apply to a broad spectrum of people but won't be ideal for everyone and can be adjusted on a case by case basis as results may vary from person to person.

So i would say try to aim for around 1,5g/kg-bw/day since that range appears to be working for you and if it does maintain that, if not adjust it a little higher and go on from there, but it really doesn't need to be too high, you mentioned you went through some very stressful periods and stress (among other factors like loss of sleep) can be pretty detrimental to muscle gain even if you keep your diet on track, i've lost muscle during stressful periods at my university on the same diet that kept me growing.

7 hours ago, DutchPump said:

This is just what i learned from the fitness personalities i follow who usually have studies to back up their reasoning, i can try to link back to their post if you want, in general, most state the ideal is from as low as 0,3grams to 1,5grams per kg of body weight per day ordinarily, and as high as 2-3grams/kg body weight/day when in a caloric deficit.
However, keep in mind these numbers are the median of a variety of results within a pool of subjects, with some subjects benefiting from even less than the results of the study to other subjects not benefitting at all and some even losing muscle at those numbers, so it's still very individual and should be used as a general guide that can apply to a broad spectrum of people but won't be ideal for everyone and can be adjusted on a case by case basis as results may vary from person to person.

So i would say try to aim for around 1,5g/kg-bw/day since that range appears to be working for you and if it does maintain that, if not adjust it a little higher and go on from there, but it really doesn't need to be too high, you mentioned you went through some very stressful periods and stress (among other factors like loss of sleep) can be pretty detrimental to muscle gain even if you keep your diet on track, i've lost muscle during stressful periods at my university on the same diet that kept me growing.

Totally agree. Stress can be a disaster. On the contrary I had a few spells of relaxed periods (not many sigh) where I definitely bulked up big time, fascinating how the body reacts to levels of stress!

also protein isolate combined with creatine in my shakes has a good effect since after a few weeks of that some guys asked me “are you on now?” #score lol

and some friends told me that both protein powders and creatine just bloats them with no good results. Very variable effects, although in general protein intake... works ;)

19 hours ago, thepump said:

Totally agree. Stress can be a disaster. On the contrary I had a few spells of relaxed periods (not many sigh) where I definitely bulked up big time, fascinating how the body reacts to levels of stress!

also protein isolate combined with creatine in my shakes has a good effect since after a few weeks of that some guys asked me “are you on now?” #score lol

and some friends told me that both protein powders and creatine just bloats them with no good results. Very variable effects, although in general protein intake... works ;)

me too, when i grew the most were the periods i was actually enjoying myself and not barely hanging on to sanity by a thread :P

I don't use creatine but i've had good experiences with using collagen protein supplementation instead, as it aids in the joint department as well, but generally just having peace of mind has been the thing that works the best (a rare luxury this semester -_-)