ALL USER PASSWORDS WERE RESET. PLEASE USE THE LOST PASSWORD FEATURE AT LOGIN TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD. 

If you cannot reset your password please ask for support in Discord or the Contact Us form. 

portamivia

A little life, the book

Hello guys. 

Has someone here read “A little life” by Hanya Yanagihara?

Some are already calling it the Big Gay American Novel, but I’m not sure. 

I don’t think it’s a great book, but it’s an addictive one.

I need a self-help group, now. 

Edited by portamivia

I read it. It's heavy (I mean content, not the book as an object). I don't think the gay thing is the most important part of the book, so I'm a bit surprised with the title you mentioned. Anyway, yeah, I understand the need for self-help group after reading this. :)

In The Atlantic, Garth Greenwell suggested that A Little Life is “the long-awaited gay novel”: “It engages with aesthetic modes long coded as queer: melodrama, sentimental fiction, grand opera. By violating the canons of current literary taste, by embracing melodrama and exaggeration and sentiment, it can access emotional truth denied more modest means of expression.”[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Little_Life#cite_ref-10

The rest of the review that I read makes the book sound INTENSELY depressing.

In an article written for New York Magazine, Yanagihara states that “one of the things [she] wanted to do with this book was create a protagonist who never got better… [for him] to begin healthy (or appear so) and end sick – both the main character and the plot itself”.[4]

My favorite adjective for this book is actually “manipulative”. It’s just a sort of gay soap opera trying to disguise itself as a novel. 

It acts as if it was a deep, important book, but ends up being quite shallow. 

At the same time, just like soap-operas, it’s kinda addictive and you want to know what happens next. 

I felt I had an abusing relationship with that book. In the end it became for me what the blades are for Jude.