THE NEW ADVENTURES OF KAKE & PEKKA (A Tom of Finland Rhapsody)

Absman420

5 hours ago, Absman420 said:

I wonder how different it would be to grow up today? How would my sexual personality be different?

You are probably correct about how we are formed by the cultural surroundings of our times. My dreams in my teenage years were populated by Ivan Drago from Rocky IV, Iceman from Top Gun and Conan the Barbarian, because those films were popular at the time.

The attitude to moustaches and/or beards change every decade. Since beards were very unfashionable when I was a teenager and in my early twenties, I find it hard to understand why some blokes (older or younger than me) like them.

I have noticed that some younger participants at this forum have a thing for muscular anime characters, and anime is a foreign world to me.

Edited by Hialmar
concerning anime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, neuheimeer said:

I think that Pekka joins Kake and he tales the first into his world bexoming some kind of vikings.

Though vikings would be nice in another story (I'm working on one, actually!), Tom's world isn't populated by vikings, but it is populated by army officers in slightly Nazi-looking uniforms, Finnish lumberjacks from the 1950s, bodybuilders at a beach in the 1950s and 1960s, bikers from c. 1958, seamen from the American navy in the 1960s, beefy representatives of the American civil rights movement in the 1960s and 1970s, leathermen of the type you would see in the American west coast in the early 1970s, American road patrolmen from the 1970s, road maintenance workers from the 1970s or 1980s, Finnish, British or American punk rockers from abt. 1980 and police officers from the 1980s -- all of them contemporary to each other. Throw in a dislocated cowboy for measure. Or the members of Village People. I expect Absman420 to stay true to the atmosphere of the original story.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, neuheimeer said:

That would be a great a idea! The lumberjacks are still common un northern Finland.

I am not surprised, but I expect them to sit inside enormous yellow machines these days. They do in Sweden. Anyhow, it is Absman420's decision, and he sounded reluctant to continue. Why not another one, instead, with a similar theme. I wouldn't be surprised if Absman420, BRUTUS1 or myself wrote other, but similar stories in the future. Any suggestion of other writing participants here at the forum who write about these themes?

Edited by Hialmar
and other authors...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, neuheimeer said:

Appart from this, it's a big surprise knowing you work in an viking-themed story.

Why should it be? If you want to know more about it, send me a message up in the right corner of the webpage, and I'll tell you more. Since it isn't related to Absman420's Kake and Pekka, it's better to discuss my viking story somewhere else.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, neuheimeer said:

As a wessie myself, I understand that (I was born just before reunification). On the part of the 19th century emmigation waves to the Americas, you forgot the revolution of 1848 and the subsequent migration waves (part of my family moved to the southern cone, specially Chile). 

The revolutionary events in France and Central Europe in 1848 didn't have any impact in Sweden, and even less on emigration of Swedes to US.

Religious persecution before 1860, the famine in the 1860s and the lack of general suffrage before 1919 were the main factors here, beside dreams about success in general. I think, that a lot of Swedes had an exaggerated and unrealistic vision of the US between 1840 and 1963. Though the American abolition of democracy in Guatemala in 1954 didn't shatter the Swedish dream about the US, the Vietnam War did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, neuheimeer said:

Big possibilities! It's my first story written by me.

Glad to hear, that Tom of Finland-style is still appealing to those in their 30s! I wish you good luck!

Edited by Hialmar
good luck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neuheimeer said:

As a wessie myself, I understand that (I was born just before reunification).

Write me a message if you are interested in my memories as a foreign tourist in West Germany and East Germany before autumn 1990. I was a teenager then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neuheimeer said:

As a wessie myself ...

Have you ever visited Folsom Europe in Berlin? I ask, since that particular subject is reasonably connected to the Kake and Pekka story, and the readers of that story are presumably interested in the answer to that question. I have considered taking the ferry to Rostock and train Rostock-Berlin, but I haven't gone there, yet (It would probably be less efficient to travel via Sassnitz?). Would be nice to hear any impressions.

• Like 1