Big Boys and Their Toys

londonboy

“I know what I’m wishing for.”

“I’m wishing for the same thing.”

“Me, too.”

All three men were standing there, looking down at the newly uncovered golden orb resting in the sand. Jason, Michael, and Javier had been looking for this particular item for many years.  They had finally miraculously landed on the right cave, the right spot, and the right amount of digging.  It was truly hard to believe all of their efforts had paid off.

“How does it work, Michael?”

“You’re the one who’s read all the books about it, Jason . . . don’t you know?”

“Yeah . . . yeah, I’m sorry. I’m just kind of freaking out it’s right there . . . in front of us.”

“So, what do we do?”

“You need to really focus on your wish . . . I mean, be as specific as you can.  No distractions.  And then touch the thing.”

“That’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s almost anti-climatic.”

“Trust me, Javier, it won’t be if you really concentrate on what it is you’d like.  This thing has been granting wishes for over four thousand years.  You get one shot and that’s it.  Remember, be specific, because if this thing is as powerful as all the writings from the years say – we’re going to very happy for the rest of our lives.”

“You think it really works, Jason?”

“There’s only one way to find out, fellas.  Remember; visualize – in detail – what it is you’re wishing for.  Oh, and don’t forget, you can’t wish to alter yourself in any way.  Whoever set up the magic in this thing didn’t want it to be used that way.  It’s for granting different kinds of wishes – other than self improvements.”

“You know what I want, Jason.  And trust me, I can be very specific!”

“I think we all can. Shall I go first?”

“Yes.”

“Please.”

Javier and Michael spoke at the same time.  It was clear they were a tad nervous about the golden orb.  It had been four years since Jason had first approached them with the goofy idea about a magical sphere that had been created in the wilds of Southeast Asia before there had been any major civilizations there. Jason had started seeing small bits about the ‘wish stone’ on the walls of temples in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Indonesia - while he had been researching his doctorate.  It had become an obsession of his – and one that he passed on to his two friends – as soon as they started to understand the stone’s power. Now, after many years of dead ends and wrong turns, they had finally stumbled on the real thing and were about to embark on the ride of their lifetime.

“Here’s to a cultured future.”

As Jason spoke these words he reached down and touched the stone.  Light shot out everywhere – illuminating the entire cave.  All three men jumped a little, but Jason did not move his hand.  He concentrated hard – knowing this would be the most important moment of his life. His destiny would be shaped by this one wish.  Suddenly the light stopped and he knew he could remove his hand.  Javier stepped forward.

“Here’s to a rough future.”

Again, light spread throughout the cave as soon as Javier touched the golden stone.  He squeezed his eyes shut tightly – focusing on what he wanted with all of his might.  Javier tended to be distracted easily, so he wanted to make sure his wish was clear, strong, and specific.  He released the stone as soon as the brightness faded.

“Here’s to a sexy future.”

Michael was the last one to touch the stone.  For the third time, brightness filled the cave.  There was also a comfortable feeling of warmth that surrounded the three men – something each of them quickly noticed.  It had the same effect on each man.  After Michael released the stone and the cave returned to semi-darkness they stood there silently.  No one was sure what to do next.

“How do you guys feel?”

“Um . . . to be honest . . . really turned on.”

“Yeah, horny as hell.”

“The same for me.”

“Wanna beat off together?”

“Ewwww!  No, Michael, I do not want to do that.”

“Sorry . . . you know how I am.”

“Yeah, we do . . . perpetually horny.  Um, Jason, do we take the stone with us?”

“No . . . no, we can’t do that.  Remember, we bury it again – right here.  If we don’t our wishes won’t come true.  Come on, let’s get this thing back in the ground and get out of here.  I’m ready to go see if the thing worked.”

The three men buried the wishing stone in the huge hole where they had found it.  They then made the cave look as if they had never been there. Jason had told them they would never be able to use the stone again for a wish, but they knew that other people would learn of its power and come searching one day.  Each man then drew pictures on the wall of the cave to represent their wish – another required step for it to be granted.  They had already spent a good hour or so looking at all the other pictures on the wall – realizing that they had been put there at different times over the last two thousand years.  When it was finally time to leave they knelt at the entrance and prostrated themselves three times – as was called for in all the writings Jason had studied.  It was now time to go find out if the wishes would come true.

“Remember, messages to each other as soon as anything happens.  My gut tells me it will happen around the same time – since we all wished at the same time.  Thank you, guys, for believing in all this nonsense.  No matter what happens, you two are the best friends a guy could hope for.”

“Did you see how the thing glowed when we touched it, Jason?  It’s going to work, man.  I can feel it.  This time, next year, we are all going to be living much different lives.  I can promise you that.”

“Let’s head home.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This looks promising, Londonboy. Not understanding what you wish for is a centuries-old, perhaps millenia-old, classic theme, and every new take on it adds its own twists.

You always have something good planned for us.  I really enjoy reading your stories and hope that this one continues sooner rather than later.  

Many Thanks,

George