Sign in to follow this  
VRGoh

Another school shooting... Here we go again

It's both depressing and infuriating whenever there's another school shooting, because I know the pattern.  As some of you may know, ten people were shot in a mass shooting at a high school in Texas recently.  Here's an article about it: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/santa-fe-texas-shooting

The problem is that I've come to notice a pattern when these shootings occur.  First, information is released about the shooter.  A stupid idea in my opinion, as it gives future shooters ideas as some school shooters were inspired by the 1999 school shootings in Littleton, Colorado.  Next, the local pundits weigh in with their thoughts on how to prevent the next shooting.  The ideas rarely change.  Some cry for gun control, while others cry for more guns in schools.  Some have called for arming teachers.  Yeah, great idea; bad enough that the results of the standardized tests can determine whether or not they have a job next school year, leaving the whole school stressed out to no end.  You're gonna give them a gun too?  Sure, what could go wrong?  *turns off sarcasm*

This will continue until the dust settles and little, if anything, is done.  Then, when another shooting happens at a school, it starts up again.  Round and round we go.  At least now, the students who survived the Parkland shooting are making noise about it and saying, "Enough is enough."  Now, it seems some parents are getting involved, so there's some hope.  Here's hoping that they don't let us forget and grow complacent.

The sheer amount of mass shootings over the past 20 years without any form of action or reform is truly despicable. Unfortunately the US government is heavily corrupt and influenced by god knows how many bribes and other bourgeois under-dealings from the NRA (among other harmful organizations) which is why we've gone so long through the same horrific formula. It doesn't help that so many Americans have intertwined guns so deeply into their lives that they're unable to see the bigger picture of why our gun accessibility (being able to apply for a piss easy license and picking up a shotgun at walmart a week later) is dangerous and unsustainable, instead clinging onto a 200+ year old law as if our society and world hasn't evolved exponentially; effectively giving the bastards making gun laws ammunition of their own to keep lining their pockets while innocent youth's lives are continually put at risk.

Though I have a lot of hope for the coming generation, we have to do our best to support them, allow them to grow, and most importantly, never stop fighting for our futures and the futures of all of the generations to come after us.

29 minutes ago, VRGoh said:

It's both depressing and infuriating whenever there's another school shooting, because I know the pattern.  As some of you may know, ten people were shot in a mass shooting at a high school in Texas recently.  Here's an article about it: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/santa-fe-texas-shooting

The problem is that I've come to notice a pattern when these shootings occur.  First, information is released about the shooter.  A stupid idea in my opinion, as it gives future shooters ideas as some school shooters were inspired by the 1999 school shootings in Littleton, Colorado.  Next, the local pundits weigh in with their thoughts on how to prevent the next shooting.  The ideas rarely change.  Some cry for gun control, while others cry for more guns in schools.  Some have called for arming teachers.  Yeah, great idea; bad enough that the results of the standardized tests can determine whether or not they have a job next school year, leaving the whole school stressed out to no end.  You're gonna give them a gun too?  Sure, what could go wrong?  *turns off sarcasm*

This will continue until the dust settles and little, if anything, is done.  Then, when another shooting happens at a school, it starts up again.  Round and round we go.  At least now, the students who survived the Parkland shooting are making noise about it and saying, "Enough is enough."  Now, it seems some parents are getting involved, so there's some hope.  Here's hoping that they don't let us forget and grow complacent.

Excluding terror attacks, the last mass shooting in the UK took place in June 2010, when a family disagreement (that saw two people killed) turned into a mass shooting. That mass shooting was brought to an end when the shooter committed suicide. The difference between how it was reported in the UK and the US was this. At no point in the UK was the shooter identified until after the events were over, during the incident, the media's focus was on the victims. Perhaps this is something that the US news media should do instead.

I can give you one reason why people won't give up their guns: the Nazis.

I can't tell you how many people I have talked to say that the reason why the Nazis took over was because people didn't have a way to defend themselves in Europe. Americans are deathly afraid of that happening here so they will not give up their rights to have a weapon of some kind.

The school shootings will likely never stop now because people have gotten used to them. They cry about it for a few days and then move on. It has now become normal and that is terrible.

This shooting hits especially close to home to me. Literally, it happened in my hometown. Whenever I bring up the idea of gun control, I have friends who balk at the idea that they’d be giving the US government free reign to just control us, totally overlooking the fact that the military has drones, tanks, and the ability to completely shut down all infrastructure. Guns aren’t going to save you from that 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed that.  With some, even up here in New York State, the phrase "gun control" gets interpreted as "gun grabbing" every time a mass shooting hits the news.  I often resist the urge to remind them that one of the U.S. military's 10 Nimitz-class aircraft carriers has enough firepower to level the city in which I live, not to mention the various heavy ordnance that can be brought in from the ground.  If the government wanted to instill a totalitarian regime, there's not a blessed thing a bunch of country bumpkins with AR-15s and hunting rifles can do to stop it.  There is no easy way to prevent a school shooting, though people are consistently looking for a simple solution to a complex problem. 

Some shootings could've been easily prevented.  For example, why did the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter (whom I will not name out of respect for his victims) not have her "big, beautiful rifles" locked in a safe if she knew her son was this disturbed?  She should've had those things secured in a gun safe or locked somehow.  I've never had a gun in the house in my life and even I know that much.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1