Hialmar

The Prologue is found here: 

https://muscle-growth.org/topic/14714-the-assembly-line/

The former chapter is found here:

https://muscle-growth.org/topic/14761-the-assembly-line-station-six/

The assembly line

Finale

Bigger! Harder! Invincible!

Under the relentless onslaught of the anabolic radiation, Unit T.E.D. was becoming what The Program wanted him to be, but suddenly another sub-routine of The Program activated, and added additional impact. The air surrounding him began to shimmer, but he couldn't discern what it was. He was, however, able to observe what happened at the stations of the other Units.

Something looking like holograms surrounded the other Units. Unit M.I.K.E. was surrounded by the shimmering and translucent image of an even more enhanced version of himself: Taller, brawnier, more conditioned, even more proportional. The same was true about the other two Units. Then, the three-dimensional image surrounding Unit M.I.K.E. blurred and switched into the image of an extremely built, but proportionate and conditioned bodybuilder with a sort of physique, which was often found in the 1980s and 1990s. A dim recollection of life before The Program, allowed Unit T.E.D. to remember, that Mike talked a lot about how bodybuilding had been, before the roid-gut became commonly occurring. Mike had often used words like "proportions" and "symmetry". Then, the image surrounding Unit M.I.K.E. shimmered and switched again, now into another old-school bodybuilder with a narrow waist and deeply cut abs. It switched again and again. The Program must have extracted Mike's ideas about the ideal male physique, when it scanned his mind back at Station Three. 

Something similar happened at the station of Unit T.I.M. Tim had found motivation to work out, by reading about bodybuilders close to his own age. Unit T.E.D. remembered enough, to recognize the appearance and remember the names of the young men, the images of whom The Program had delved out of Tim's mind: Lesukov, Compton, McCarver, Poirson -- all of them the bodily opposites of the tiny and fragile man Tim once had been. Before he encountered The Assembly Line.

Though he had followed them to the gym with some frequency, Todd had never been interested in bodybuilding competitions or reading about that sport. Unit T.E.D. directed his attention to the station of Unit T.O.D.D., in order to find out what The Program had been able to squeeze out of the slightly nerdy Todd's mind. His gaze was met by the holographic image of a wrestler, quickly replaced by another one. Then, the images of imaginary characters out of cartoons: He Man. Bane. The incredible Hulk. "How typical for Todd", the remnant of Unit T.E.D.'s human nature thought, just before he was overwhelmed of what happened at his own station. Yes! More! POWER was crammed into his being, and he could feel his strength cumulate, his mass increase and his already considerable height irrupt. He was too overwhelmed by what happened to him, to notice what happened to the others. Then the platform of his station moved a quarter of a circle, to the point where Unit T.O.D.D. had been, seconds ago.

They had all rotated. Unit T.O.D.D. was now positioned at Unit M.I.K.E.'s former position, the latter one where Unit T.I.M. had been, and Unit T.I.M. at Ted's former place. Unit T.E.D. was able to see the field surrounding his former position: Holographic images of bodybuilders and strongmen who managed to combine height and massiveness flickered in the air around Unit T.I.M. -- Morgan Aste, Greg Kovacs, Martyn Ford, Hafthor Bjornson. Unit T.I.M. roared, as The Program forced him to grow closer to the ideals projected around him, and then he grew beyond that. Embodying that particular ideal at an enhanced, uttermost and consummate level. Unit T.I.M. roared again. He was tenting in his uniform trousers, and he was staring unseeingly at what Unit T.O.D.D. was becoming.

At his original station, Unit T.O.D.D. had achieved a broad and bull-like physique beyond what was naturally possible, but, as he now stood at Unit M.I.K.E.'s original station, he was bombarded by what Mike had considered harmonious proportions in his former life. Raw mass transformed into an archtypical hero-bod, and a cocky glint was awakening in Unit T.O.D.D.'s eyes.

In front of Unit T.E.D., Unit M.I.K.E. was achieving the conditioned look of Unit T.I.M., the youthful brawniness which Unit T.I.M. had considered ideal before his own transformation, and the worn signs of Mike's bad years disappeared. He looked more vigourous than ever.

Then the field hit Unit T.E.D. The field directed by Unit T.O.D.D.'s imagination of muscle mass beyond the limits of reality. MUSCLE MASS. BEYOND. THE LIMITS OF REALITY. Unit T.E.D. had been tall before, and had added lots of mass earlier in the process, but now, the feeling of his thighs for arms resting on his literal Hulk-sized lats pushed his power-craze close to the brink of insanity. Then the platforms rotated a quarter-circle again.

He found himself standing with his legs wide apart at Unit M.I.K.E.'s original position. He was absent-mindedly aware of Unit T.I.M. becoming like a gamma-irradiated He Man out of fiction on his right side, and he was likewise absent-mindedly aware of Unit T.O.D.D. becoming conditioned and rejuvenated to the left of him, but the sight of Unit M.I.K.E. -- his childhood hero Mike -- adapting to his own ideas of perfection and the feeling of being exposed to Mike's ideas of perfection caused the remnants of the old Ted inside Unit T.E.D. to enter ecstatic rapture by the sheer physicality of it all. Becoming like Mike! BECOMING. LIKE. MIKE.

Mike shouted: "YES! Taller! TALLER!"

When he came to his senses, the platforms had rotated again. After the intense bombardment of several growth-inducing protocols at all the former stations, the conditioning and rejuvenation at Unit T.I.M.'s original station was allowing Unit T.E.D. to calm down and catch his breath. Unit T.I.M. was becoming his hero-dreams, and was lost in the experience of hypertrophy and lust. Unit T.O.D.D. was now adding the height he had lacked, but, in front of Unit T.E.D., Unit M.I.K.E. was exposed to Todd's imagination of the impossible. Unit M.I.K.E. had increased in height beyond human limits at the last station, and at the present station he was attaining the unattainable, and he seemed to like it. Inhuman confidence shone from his eyes, and his mouth was agape in a smile of voluptious rapture, caused by the sensation of his limitless virilisation. Built by bulging meat, far, far beyond the size of basketballs. Boulders upon boulders of uncrushable flesh. The ability to lift tonnes. TONNES. The traps of a monster-hero. The pecs of a monster-hero. The bicepses of a monster-hero. Quads and hamstrings of sheer MUSCLE-POWER. Unit M.I.K.E. flexed his bicepses, tented, moaned and roared. The sound caused all the other Units to lose all awareness of their physical surroundings. The anabolic radiation increased in intensity. They were growing beyond human imagination. They ...

Then Ted woke up. Wooah! What a dream! Dreams with a similar content had haunted him several nights in a row. Not that he complained, but he had to take care of that morning wood soon. Speaking of which... His heart felt warm. He could feel Mike's morning wood against his back, and he rolled around to face the sleeping Mike. His childhood friend. His teenage-years' hero. The veteran who returned home. His crush. His husband. The innocent expression on his sleeping face. 

Mike's breathing changed, and his eyelids opened halfways.

"Teddy?"

"I'm here."

Mike's big hand groped and grabbed Ted's back, and pressed them tightly together. Mike didn't say anything, but the morning wood of both men grew harder. Mike yelped. Then the phone rang.

Ted sighed and lifted the phone to his ear.

"Unit T.E.D. You are hereby commanded to resume full physical shape, and report to Base C. Now, hand over the phone to Unit M.I.K.E."

No! Wait? It wasn't a dream? It was ... Unit T.E.D. handed over the phone to Unit M.I.K.E. It had been given an order. It was resuming its full physical shape, and it could watch Unit M.I.K.E. to react to the phone call in the same way. Fabric ripped. They burst out of their clothes. Their eyes changed into a more machine-like stare, ready to obey orders without questions. Full physical shape. Felt good to not hide anymore. FULL. PHYSICAL. SHAPE. The two Units crouched, in order to not rub their heads in the bedroom ceiling. They removed the removable wall in the wardrobe, and recovered their uniforms. They stood there, in their glossy uniform trousers and tactical boots, powerful torsos exposed. Two Units ready for a mission. They could hear a personnel carrier arrive outside their house. It was time. They had an order to execute. The Program demanded it.

Edited by Hialmar
link, small details
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, RecoveringLearner said:

Interesting conclusion...  very nice twist.

Thank you.

I wanted to write in a setting vaguely located in the U.S., for a change. 

The personality of each character was gradually becoming more well-defined, as my writing-process went on.

When I got to know Ted and Mike better, I wanted them to be married: The thought of Ted being there for Mike, when the latter one suffered from PTSD, caused me to like the characters I invented. Mike is not just a jock who grew up: he is a man with vulnerabilities, despite his outward toughness, and Ted was a geeky giant before The Program.

In several of my stories, ordinary men become mind-controlled fighting-machines, and their fear of becoming that is part of the appeal of the stories. I wanted to -- in just a few words -- contrast the marital everyday setting of Ted's and Mike's household with what The Program had turned them into.

Edited by Hialmar
afterthoughts