ipsen

Fat Acceptance - A Social Movement

I support non-discrimination but at the same time, a lot of this movement and the people in it lie on a pathological level when it comes to medical facts. I don't really feel like taking medical advice from someone who is obese. That's just madness. Yes, you are putting your body through extreme risk. No, it isn't a normal biological state. It has come out of a post industrial post green revolution society that overproduces junk food and subsidizes sugar like crazy. 

I think the spread of obesity could be absolutely detrimental to our society on a whole. The fat acceptance movement should just change its name to "We Love Diabetes" and try to sell that to the public. Oh wait, that would be the realistic version. 

For what it's worth, the government needs to make obesity more of an issue. It's a high level risk to an increasing segment of Americans and its going to cost us money and its going to cause irreparable harm to families and the sociological structure of our society. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 5/18/2018 at 3:41 PM, muscledrain said:

I support non-discrimination but at the same time, a lot of this movement and the people in it lie on a pathological level when it comes to medical facts. I don't really feel like taking medical advice from someone who is obese. That's just madness. Yes, you are putting your body through extreme risk. No, it isn't a normal biological state. It has come out of a post industrial post green revolution society that overproduces junk food and subsidizes sugar like crazy. 

I think the spread of obesity could be absolutely detrimental to our society on a whole. The fat acceptance movement should just change its name to "We Love Diabetes" and try to sell that to the public. Oh wait, that would be the realistic version. 

For what it's worth, the government needs to make obesity more of an issue. It's a high level risk to an increasing segment of Americans and its going to cost us money and its going to cause irreparable harm to families and the sociological structure of our society. 

You know, some might argue that those who pursue muscle to the point that their image is all that matters cause irreparable harm too...

That feeling that you need to fit in with the "fit" crowd, not realizing that they are killing their bodies to try and attain what the instagram "nattys" have....

Or...they actually do realize that they are on some level "enhanced" and try and go that route themselves...without doing their due diligence.

The point Im trying to make, is moderation and knowledge would a far wiser move. Acceptance of your body, be it skinny, fat, muscular, or some mix of all of them would be well advised. Love yourself...and try to improve yourself within reasonable limits. Research, learn from it, and try to put things into practice. Having Big Brother telling you what you can and cannot do does not help. It is your body, you have to be the one who lives with it at the end of the day. 

So you may not have meant to come off as sarcastic or caustic, but your statements lack the holistic knowledge that, what people do to themselves be it food, roids, or both, is their choice. Most of my previous exes were large men, and quite frankly, they cuddle a lot better and care a hell of a lot more. Don't hate on fat dudes, let them do them and you do you.

I'm not hating on fat dudes. I was overweight at one point. I still have some fat on me I'm trying to burn off. But I'm not obese and I'm not going to let my response be dictated by emotion. 

Being fat is not healthy. It's a huge risk factor for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, dementia, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and any number of other health problems and equating it with the same social or medical issues that come with bodybuilding is preposterous. The number of bodybuilders that take it too far and put themselves through extreme risk is very, very low. Any major risk factor usually coincides with anabolic steroids. Your conflation of the two is inaccurate. 

Which is exactly my point. Normalizing obesity with your emotional need to make people feel better is not helping them. Telling them to feel good about themselves won't help them when they get their limbs amputated. Have you EVER met someone who is in a wheelchair because of diabetes? It's estimated that one out of every THREE Americans could have diabetes in a few decades. Those are unimaginable numbers. 

It doesn't matter how attractive you think you fat ex was. That has no bearing on science or medical data. And all of the factors I am discussing have an impact on the social construct of the family. It degrades a parents ability to be there for their child in the same way if they are always tired and unable to be physically active. Obese parents are overwhelmingly having children who are obese at alarmingly young ages. The numbers are already staggeringly high. I don't really want to hear excuses about how fat parents are every bit as good at loving their kids. I know that. But the physical limitations that weight puts on you are emotionally crippling and often life threatening. Just ask my half sister, who reached the weight of 340 lbs at the height of 5'6" and was told by her doctor four years ago that she probably wouldn't live to see her eldest daughter graduate high school if she didn't lose the weight with her heart condition history. She lost the weight. She went to therapy. And she isn't dead now, which is good because she has two kids.

WIshful thinking doesn't make this shit go away. I wish it could. 

13 hours ago, muscledrain said:

The number of bodybuilders that take it too far and put themselves through extreme risk is very, very low. Any major risk factor usually coincides with anabolic steroids. Your conflation of the two is inaccurate. 

Which is exactly my point. Normalizing obesity with your emotional need to make people feel better is not helping them. Telling them to feel good about themselves won't help them when they get their limbs amputated. Have you EVER met someone who is in a wheelchair because of diabetes? It's estimated that one out of every THREE Americans could have diabetes in a few decades. Those are unimaginable numbers. 

But not all those who are fat arent diabetic, thats a bit more conflating. 

We arent talking about the guy who has a lil pudge, or the gym rat with a lil muscle. And I make that clear in my original post. Im not targetting just those who use steroids. Im pointing out that focusing all on one side when this forum focuses on one end is a bit disingenuous to making a reasonable and balanced argument. 

Improper exercise (aka improper form in partial conjunction with improper weight) can seriously injure muscles and joints. Those fad "fatburners"? They are stimulants that raise your heartrate, sometimes well more than the person should. Dieting in and of itself is a whole can of worms as your body needs various nutrients that if you cut certain things out without knowledge and wisdom, severe deficiencies can occur.

My point and Ill reiterate it since it seems to have been glossed over:

On 5/20/2018 at 1:00 AM, shadowlost25 said:

The point Im trying to make, is moderation and knowledge would a far wiser move. Acceptance of your body, be it skinny, fat, muscular, or some mix of all of them would be well advised. Love yourself...and try to improve yourself within reasonable limits. Research, learn from it, and try to put things into practice. Having Big Brother telling you what you can and cannot do does not help. It is your body, you have to be the one who lives with it at the end of the day.... 

Its their life, they ultimately bear the consequences of their actions or inactions. Its not wishful thinking. The key of your argument is you dont like their choice and seem to imply it should be taken away (with your comment about the government). Treating a person as a person no matter their size or body composition isnt normalizing in any negative sense. But it is giving them a positive environment so they CAN make choices without the extra nagging of negativity.