Derek

Thoughts on Bulking...

So I was discussing my planned bulk with MikeyTron today, and we started to talk about how lean can you stay while you're bulking. I have about 20 weeks to hit my goal weight of 245, before I cut down to hit the heavyweight division in November. 

I hate getting chunky, so my goal is to stay below 10% body fat (I want to still have some abs), and I think 1 lbs a week is a reasonable rate of growth to stay lean with a proper diet and lifting plan. I also have a financial incentive to stay lean-ish cause I model all the time, and they expect some shreds when I'm on camera. 

What do you guys think? Do you have to get a little chunky to get big, or can you stay somewhat lean while bulking?

Here's my last two bulks

First one is: (1) November 27,  2016 - 206lbs (2) January 6, 2017 - 213 lbs (3) February 1, 2017 - 220 lbs (4) March 7, 2017 - 220 lbs 

Second one is May 15, 2017 - 218 lbs (after my post show rebound. I went from 209 to 219 in a week) to September 11, 2017 - 226 lbs. 

IMG_7376.jpg

107557.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I expected, that you would soon get a knowledgeable answer to your question, and now I am surprised that you haven't. I am interested in the answer, too. 

Personally I'm one for calorie excess - 10% in my mind is probably doable with gear but I'd float up to around 15% easy, adding muscle. Your 15-18 week diet will knock any of that fluffiness off. Regardless of what you choose you look great :)