Sign in to follow this  
pump

Transhumanism

Hey guy. Is someone else here into transhumnis - improving your body at more possible ways?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pump said:

Hey guy. Is someone else here into transhumnis - improving your body at more possible ways?

(Source: Wikipedia)

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international intellectual movement that aims to transform the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies to greatly enhance human intellect and physiology. Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations as well as ethical[3] limitations of using such technologies.[4] The most common transhumanist thesis is that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into different beings with abilities so greatly expanded from the current condition as to merit the label of posthuman beings.

The contemporary meaning of the term "transhumanism" was foreshadowed by one of the first professors of futurology, FM-2030, who taught "new concepts of the human" at The New School in the 1960s, when he began to identify people who adopt technologies, lifestyles and worldviews "transitional" to posthumanity as "transhuman". The assertion would lay the intellectual groundwork for the British philosopher Max More to begin articulating the principles of transhumanism as a futurist philosophy in 1990 and organizing in California an intelligentsia that has since grown into the worldwide transhumanist movement. Influenced by seminal works of science fiction, the transhumanist vision of a transformed future humanity has attracted many supporters and detractors from a wide range of perspectives, including philosophy and religion.

• Like 1

Well, honestly, if they can do a total and complete upload of a human mind into a machine, along with the ability for it to function like (or to some extent like) a human mind... I would honestly not mind :) getting uploaded onto some kind of Von Neumann type device, even if it destroys the original / master "copy". I'd be off in a flash, tataaaaa to the human race and nice knowin' ya.

If you want a sense of what I mean, read the "Bobiverse" series of Sci-Fi.

But essentially, all the way from enhanced bio-electronics / robotic limbs etc, to just enhancement on a whim - to a final and complete transcendence to a "machine" intelligence... no issue with it.

Evolution got us this far, gave us the tools to go further. Right now I honestly think it will probably be a tie between genetic alterations and mechanical / synthetic alterations and enhancements for a while, but, Imho genetics and biology will simply take us that far and no further.

We could also take the long route, like in Dune, where through rigorous training over millennia we guide our own evolution like we did with animal breeding, but we would have to first turn this generation Google around who have attention spans shorter than those of a gold fish. All of this is long term planning type stuff.

And as with GE, it will only go so far and no further.

• Like 1

I love transhumanist ideas, and wish more people would be receptive to them than dismissing them as science fiction or being scared of the possibilities.  The funny thing is, we've already been improving the human condition for decades, with tons of advances in medical science.  We live longer, healthier lives.  Limbs and organs can be replaced relatively easily.  

And we have steroids!  It's funny how when people think of transhumanist ideas, they don't consider chemical enhancements.  Pro bodybuilders and roid freaks are absolutely transhuman, and that's amazing.  With steroids we can go way beyond the natural limits of our own bodies and become massively muscular and inhumanly strong.  If that isn't greatly enhancing human physiology then I don't know what is!

I’m more concerned with getting Joe and Jane Sixpack to understand the difference between wishful thinking, and reality. I have way too many family members with this real, modern human problem of mistaking facts and opinions, just like they are the same things. Let’s not make people any more powerful before we get them thinking critically instead of emotionally. Sure, we have emotions and we need to cope with them, but they must not be mistaken for critical thinking.

But perhaps I’m wrong.  I sure hope I am wrong.

• Like 1