Hialmar

I feel like you're making an apology for a lack of originality -- don't worry about it. Write what you like. Your style is great, and I totally got off reading this. I'm curious about Korhonen and Swanson's motives, and what be more than happy to see you continue...!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Buffling. This story was intended to stand alone without continuation, and I stick to that decision.

I am curious about their motives, too, but I left the details out. Some things are better left to the readers' imagination.

10 hours ago, Hialmar said:

Thank you Buffling. This story was intended to stand alone without continuation, and I stick to that decision.

I am curious about their motives, too, but I left the details out. Some things are better left to the readers' imagination.

It is a great one-off indeed. ^^ Though it is too bad that his "old self" was pretty much deleted. It would have been great to see him become a litteral giant while still be a scientist and all. ^^ Being able to switch between soldier and scientist in an instance, if you understand what i mean. ;3

Also: when i read this story it feels to me like Korhonen felt bad for the scientist and wanted to give him the biggest most muscular body so he would not be walked over like he probably always would be. And probably also for personal reasons. ;3 And Swanson probably went along with it seeing as Korhonen was a lot larger than him and probably has the other 2 under his thumb. ;3

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hanugumo said:

It is a great one-off indeed. ^^ Though it is too bad that his "old self" was pretty much deleted. It would have been great to see him become a litteral giant while still be a scientist and all. ^^ Being able to switch between soldier and scientist in an instance, if you understand what i mean. ;3

Also: when i read this story it feels to me like Korhonen felt bad for the scientist and wanted to give him the biggest most muscular body so he would not be walked over like he probably always would be. And probably also for personal reasons. ;3 And Swanson probably went along with it seeing as Korhonen was a lot larger than him and probably has the other 2 under his thumb. ;3

I think it is a very good guess about Korhonen. As for Swanson, I don't think that he was under Korhonen's thumb, but wanted to have a laugh at Larson's expense. Look who's laughing now?

I'm not sure if Larson's personality was deleted permanently – the other test subjects retained elements of individuality after the procedure – but I wanted the transformation process to be intense and threatening, and you will never know. Larson's and the readers' fear of losing themselves make the story more exciting in my opinion. It's a recurring theme in my army-themed stories (and some of my other stories): The longing to become different, and the fear of becoming different.

Another recurring theme in my stories is belonging. Protagonists often join groups of men they part fear, part admire: super-soldiers, gym-jocks, fetish-clones, skinheads, supernatural barbarian warriors, the unknown group "Them".

Even the hero of my story Champions of Lernath (who is the one and only sun-hero) choses to cooperate with the one and only earth-hero, and the protagonists of My little buddy are in a stable relationship and experience the transformation together, which I find rather sweet.

There is more to muscle-growth stories, than just growing muscles. I would say, that what is going on in the mind of the growing protagonist and what is happening to him in relation to other men (those who grow like him and those who remain untransformed) are just as important, but that is my personal opinion.

I'm sure, that some readers (and writers) would prefer a story, which is more or less just a list of excitingly increasing stats, but I early found out, when I began to write MG stories three years ago, that a preoccupation with stats wouldn't suit my writing-style. I don't get any mental imagery out of centimetres, even less so inches (since imperial measures are foreign), but comparing muscles to (European) footballs, basket balls, rugby balls (in the case of calves) or melons work.

Edited by Hialmar
switched order of sentences

• 2 years later...

This is one of my favorite stories, I love how Larson is transformed from a scientist to a super muscular soldier, I’d love to hear more from this story.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Trio said:

This is one of my favorite stories, I love how Larson is transformed from a scientist to a super muscular soldier, I’d love to hear more from this story.

It is a short stand-alone story, not the beginning of a multi-chapter one. I wanted a story to take place in my own peaceful (but slightly nervous) corner of the world (I wish the Americans and the Russians stopped threatening each other in the manner they do. It may have  harmful consequences for third party nations).

I have written several other stories in a military setting, but most of them are short, like this one, and very similar in style: Almost no adventures after the initial transformation. Let me know, if you want a list of them. One finished story loosely belonging to this sub-genre, is THIS, but it doesn't have much of a plot beyond the growth, either.

I began to write a multi-chapter story belonging to this genre, but I got writer's block at the point when the villain becomes scarier, and it is still unfinished. It's found HERE.

Another unfinished multi-chapter story takes place in a Spacefleet thousands of years into the future, and it's found HERE.

I have written one finished multi-chapter story in this type of setting, but that one is a pretty dark satire, and not to every reader's liking. It is called The Security Squad and is unsettling. If you, despite my warning, want a comparatively long and plot-driven story in a military setting, that's the one for you.

I have a more optimistic story in a military setting in the pipeline. It's a hommage to Marvel Comics. If you want to read disconnected fragments of text (in need of further revision) from that one, it's in the Unfinished section, HERE, but that would of course spoil the joy of reading the finished version in the future.

5 hours ago, Hialmar said:

It is a short stand-alone story, not the beginning of a multi-chapter one. I wanted a story to take place in my own peaceful (but slightly nervous) corner of the world (I wish the Americans and the Russians stopped threatening each other in the manner they do. It may have  harmful consequences for third party nations).

I have written several other stories in a military setting, but most of them are short, like this one, and very similar in style: Almost no adventures after the initial transformation. Let me know, if you want a list of them. One finished story loosely belonging to this sub-genre, is THIS, but it doesn't have much of a plot beyond the growth, either.

I began to write a multi-chapter story belonging to this genre, but I got writer's block at the point when the villain becomes scarier, and it is still unfinished. It's found HERE.

Another unfinished multi-chapter story takes place in a Spacefleet thousands of years into the future, and it's found HERE.

I have written one finished multi-chapter story in this type of setting, but that one is a pretty dark satire, and not to every reader's liking. It is called The Security Squad and is unsettling. If you, despite my warning, want a comparatively long and plot-driven story in a military setting, that's the one for you.

I have a more optimistic story in a military setting in the pipeline. It's a hommage to Marvel Comics. If you want to read disconnected fragments of text (in need of further revision) from that one, it's in the Unfinished section, HERE, but that would of course spoil the joy of reading the finished version in the future.

Thank you so much for the list, I actually read all of those before! I’m a fan of your work, I wrote a short story recently and it draws some inspiration from your work as well! Don’t stop writing!

• Thanks 1