punk

Support from you partner?

I got a question can a partner/love one have a affect on yourself when training and how well you gain muscle?

My reason is that my partner is giving me zero support here and I do feel like it is affecting in a way. I did make it very clear my reason why I wanted to take part in a body transformation challenge as I wanted to make a change in life to build a strong and confidence person and I always had an interest in bodybuilding which is why I wanted to take it to the next level this year. My aim for this year to build up my body like a fitness/underwear model type once I reach that goal I will think about where I want to do next. Also when it comes to sorting out my diet/ nutrition I get a very negatived response its difficult as I need to eat to be able to grow but I want to eat right food not junk food which my partner is happy to buy.

I don't want to break up just need some advice on the best way of moving forward or is it selfish of me wanting to gain muscles and live a healthy lifestyle after nearly ending up as an alcoholic last year. 

My view is that if you are truly soul mates and you don't want to break-up then it's a matter of finding a path forward. Most bodybuilders I know are obsessive with food + workouts and generally have a routine that's not flexible to the point of being a little OCD. That commitment can often result in a partner feeling slightly neglected. Your challenge is listening, paying attention to your partner and what's going on in their life. Meal issues can be an issue so I'd let him eat what he wants and you stick to your diet. Usually I find if you cook something and spice it up they will eat what you have. I've always found that with previous Bfs and my partner that their diet is cleaner when they are around me - like osmosis. Keep talking it all works out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, punk said:

I got a question can a partner/love one have a affect on yourself when training and how well you gain muscle?

My reason is that my partner is giving me zero support here and I do feel like it is affecting in a way. I did make it very clear my reason why I wanted to take part in a body transformation challenge as I wanted to make a change in life to build a strong and confidence person and I always had an interest in bodybuilding which is why I wanted to take it to the next level this year. My aim for this year to build up my body like a fitness/underwear model type once I reach that goal I will think about where I want to do next. Also when it comes to sorting out my diet/ nutrition I get a very negatived response its difficult as I need to eat to be able to grow but I want to eat right food not junk food which my partner is happy to buy.

I don't want to break up just need some advice on the best way of moving forward or is it selfish of me wanting to gain muscles and live a healthy lifestyle after nearly ending up as an alcoholic last year. 

I now how you feel dude. I am in this exact situation. Only difference is I feel like a 'trophy husband'. If I go to gym and train, do yoga, or swim. I get snide remarks on how I don't want to spend time with him. Ironically when I stop training, and lose weight, I get shit on for not looking after myself. When I want to buy healthy food, I get  told off for buying 'stuff that tastes like crap'.

Your 'other half' will most definitely have an effect on your progress. It can be good or bad. I had hoped for support from mine, but no such luck. It just fuels my fire at this stage. If I had a supporting partner, I would most probably be much bigger by now though. 

My advice to you is this: 

Sit down, and talk to him. Explain how you feel and what your goals are. When he want's junk food, order the healthiest option from that restaurant. I don't know ha your financial situation is like, but if you can buy your own healthy food do it. Shop around for inexpensive options. Look into flexible dieting, where you don't have to eat healthy all the time. Download myfitnesspal on your phone and make sure you stay in a caloric SURPLUS daily. Let him/her know you love them, and that you are doing this for them  too and not only for yourself. Maybe try to get them to train with you a few times in a week. 

• Thanks 1

You can do it, mate. You just have to talk to your partner. I believe that communication in relationships is crucial to make it work, and if you really want to be with him, you can try to explain how important it is to you, and how serious you are in your goals, he'll understand and support you. There are some stores that look for amateurs. If you want to be a model of underwear you could try imitating other underwear models in front of the mirror, you can check out models from  Hunk2 

• Like 1

Do it for yourself 1st, hopefully your partner will come around and appreciate your hard work.  I am lucky I found a wife who is my my motivation to get big, she pushes me to get bigger and really loves muscle mass.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

On 02/02/2018 at 2:46 AM, blowingupmassive said:

Do it for yourself 1st, hopefully your partner will come around and appreciate your hard work.  I am lucky I found a wife who is my my motivation to get big, she pushes me to get bigger and really loves muscle mass.

Does she lift as well?

On 2018-02-01 at 5:46 PM, blowingupmassive said:

Lucky, lucky bastard 😄

• Upvote 1

On February 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Musclebear4791 said:

Does she lift as well?

No, she is into yoga and does aerobics so she is very fit, but she leaves the gym to me.  She is a Ph.D nutritionist and chef and making me as big as possible is her project and her passion.

• Upvote 2

my husband has *finally* started lifting. He reached the age of 40, and fearful that muscle wasteage was about to kick in, so he took up resistance training at last. It's been great for him and for me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel for both you and your partner. I've been on both sides of the equation with this. When my partner started taking this super seriously 2 years ago, getting a trainer etc, I supported him by offering to help split the cost with the trainer, helping with supplements, equipment, clothes etc. But as time went on, I felt slightly taken for granted with it, not because I wasn't getting anything personally out of it, or that he expected me to help, but more because of how deep he got into everything. It almost felt like I was an outsider, to the point of almost being an afterthought to the whole thing between him and his trainer, and it started bringing out my insecurities in my own physique and personality. Like I wasn't really needed unless I could provide some sort of assistence.

What you two need to do is talk, communicate, and listen to each other. Find ways to support one another, but also encourage each others endevors. He should be encouraging of your ambition for your body transformation, but you should also work to keep the connection open with his interests as well. 

People can get completely obsorbed and lost in the lifting and bodybuilding lifestyle, both of you should do your best to keep those connections open so that no matter what, you'll know you're there for one another. Make time for one another, even if its spontaneous, to show that no matter how much you change physically, that you're still the same people you were before all of this. I'm currently working on that myself, and as a result taking all this a lot more seriously to overcome my fear and insecurity of not being adequit and not wanting to feel or be left behind. It's a struggle, but both sides need to keep pushing one another and be supportive. If one side is doing all of the supporting and the other is doing all the taking and taking things for granted, it won't work in the long run.

• Upvote 1