arpeejay

Today's Gripe: Gym Etiquette

Having been a member of my local gym for the last six months of so, here are some actual gripes that I have become aware of (some of which may be just me)

1) The "I'm f***ing s***ing like a bad mother***er" theory (aka loud and obnoxious rap / hip-hop music) : Now, I know that a lot of gyms have public address systems to have music in (and there are some hip-hop and rap tracks I have no objections to in the slightest (examples include "I can" by Nas, "C U when U get there" by Coolio and anything by Will Smith) but last weekend I had to endure Dr. Dre, Enimem and Linklin Park at full blast with the two people who had put the music on, then listening to something else on headphones

2) The "oh, it's raining, time to pack up" theory: Here in Wales, rain is a bit of an occupational hazard (as an example according to the internet Aberaeron gets 981mm (38½ inches) of rain a year which averages 3mm (1/9th of an inch) per day. There are occasions when it can pour as it did on Sunday, when every single river in the county was on flood alert, which can be galling for me as I make my way there only to find that someone who had said they would be there, wasn't

3) The pigsty theory: When I use the gym I always make sure that it is as I would want to find it (which when I am on my own is simple) however on a number of occasions I have found weights (that I cannot even imagine to pick up) strewn all over the place, the radio / CD player blasting away merrily and the dumbbells in completely the wrong order or on the floor. It has been suggested on a number of occasions that this is done by people who are not members being invited by members (either by coming with them or being let in by a member) and then suddenly realising that the owner is about and (as we say in the UK) "doing a runner"

On 23/01/2018 at 2:48 AM, CardiMuscleman said:

3) The pigsty theory: When I use the gym I always make sure that it is as I would want to find it (which when I am on my own is simple) however on a number of occasions I have found weights (that I cannot even imagine to pick up) strewn all over the place, the radio / CD player blasting away merrily and the dumbbells in completely the wrong order or on the floor. It has been suggested on a number of occasions that this is done by people who are not members being invited by members (either by coming with them or being let in by a member) and then suddenly realising that the owner is about and (as we say in the UK) "doing a runner"

Adding to that - how about when there are used towels ALL OVER THE PLACE in the locker room. sheeesh, people, how hard is it??

On 11/19/2017 at 10:38 PM, maxwm said:

Man, I wish I had a gym like that near me I'd join in a heartbeat. I get so tired of all that's been talked about here particularly the blaring TV's people (mostly women) yakking away while on adjacent treadmills (and not getting much of a workout), etc. The guy who runs our gym is cool but totally anal about shirts. I was going to buy one of the gym's shirts but wasn't sure of size and wanted to try on one. He was good with that, but when i started to pull off my shirt right there on the gym floor (why not) he stopped me & asked me to go the locker room. It's a gym!!!

I completely agree with FLMuscle's comments above.   Matter of fact I'd almost swear we go to the same gym with the blaring TV's (and in my gym music at the same time),  yakking people (mostly women on adjacent treadmills), and I had the same experience with  the cool guy who runs our gym. I thought he was going to have a stroke when I started to pull off my shirt on the gym floor to try on one I wanted to buy & he too asked me to go to the locker room. Damn it's a gym & I honestly think some of the women are more obvious in their skin tight work out pants & skimpy tops than a shirtless guy would be. If there was a warehouse gym anywhere near me I'd join in a heartbeat!!