• Announcements

• CMiller

Help contribute, donate via PayPal or join with a monthly Patreon contribution.   01/01/17

To help raise funds I've introduced a monthly contribution option called Pateron. This service allows you to pledge a monthly contribution plus allows me to offer you some rewards for your contribution. If you have any questions you may PM me. If you'd like to make that contribution please click on the image below:      
    • CMiller

NEWS: Discord Server & Clubs (aka Groups) are back!   08/19/17

Hello everyone I'm back with a couple big updates! Firstly we now have a Discord server, this is a real-time chat messaging client you can run on your phone, desktop, or anywhere. It's a pretty powerful desktop application that enables people to chat together, and with multiple channels you can find people interested in what you're interested in. If you don't already have a Discord account it's pretty easy to get one, just click the following invite link to get started: https://discord.gg/U93PYnB Secondly I'm proud to announce the return of Groups, it's been renamed to Clubs and is now available here: https://muscle-growth.org/clubs/. This system is entirely user generated and allows users to create groups of their own based on any subject they want. Go ahead and try it now, visit the link above to get started if you want to create or join a group!   As always thank you to all of our donators and Patreon contributors who keep the forums going! 
arpeejay

Today's Gripe: Gym Etiquette

Saturday at LA Fitness in Fishers, IN (116th Street and Cumberland Road):

1. The gym has two assisted pull-up / dip machines, side by side, and two seated low row machines, also side-by-side. For 15 minutes two young ladies, clearly at the gym together, worked out side by side on the assisted pull-up / dip machines. Work in together? Not bloody likely. Finally, I went and sat down on the bench next to the machines. Eventually one noticed and asked whether I was waiting for her machine. "Only 10 or 15 minutes," I replied. THEN they moved to the row machines and started all over again. The BIG bodybuilder was going to use one of them but then deferred, not realizing they were together. I wanted to go tell him, "You just missed a splendid opportunity to engage in a teaching moment."

2. On the other side of the gym, there are side-by-side Smith machines. The girlfriend (wife?) of the really BIG bodybuilder was using one of them when I finished my cardio warm-up and five minutes later another woman, an anorexia wannabe (not there yet but working on it, clearly), took the other. I proceeded to do: machine shoulder press (four sets); seated Hammerstrength dips and dumbbell side lateral raises (four sets each); machine rear delt flies (four sets); assisted chin-ups and dips (four sets each.) And both women were STILL bogarting both Smith machines when I was done with all of that (35-40 minutes, maybe?)

I want to print up some very stylish, framed signs that say "Don't Bogart the Equipment, Asswipes!" but I know management wouldn't post them!

Teaching your children to share their toys must have gone out of fashion in the 80s, huh? Which seems odd because my kids' mom and I always made a point of it with ours!

• Upvote 1

You don't ask to work in? Dude, go up to them and say, "excuse me, do you mind if I work in?"  If you don't do that, you have no excuse to whine about equipment hogs. 

• Upvote 2

My teaching moment to you: If you do not approach the person using the equipment, they do not know you are waiting for it. People aren't mind readers, and, in theory, should be putting their attention toward their workout, not the dialogue running in YOUR head. Level two of etiquette is, when you're using something a long time, proactively look for people who might not know that they should ask, and see if they want to use it. But when I'm doing my workout, I shouldn't have to bother myself with wondering what everyone else is doing. If you want to use the equipment, ask how long I'll be using it for and/or if you can work in. Otherwise you're just "that guy who glares at everyone."

• Upvote 3

Bullshit.

Actual human beings pay attention to their surroundings, even when they are concentrating workouts. Monopolizing a single station for 45 minutes when there a hundred other people in the gym is just crass and people who do so are self-entitled douchebags. Based on your response, I'm guessing you're well-acquainted with that mindset.

Buh-bye!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When other people in my gym are monopolizing a machine or station, I simply lift them up, carry them over to the other side of the gym, and set them down (gently) on the floor.  I then proceed with my use of the equipment and all is well (at least for me). ;)   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

9 hours ago, MLMuscle said:

When other people in my gym are monopolizing a machine or station, I simply lift them up, carry them over to the other side of the gym, and set them down (gently) on the floor.  I then proceed with my use of the equipment and all is well (at least for me). ;)   

You really did it?

• Upvote 2

The gripe I have is with gyms that are run by local government (the majority of gyms in the United Kingdom) and that gripe is this. Televisions. In every council run gym I have been in there is a television blaring out MTV or even worse the BBC News Channel. Now, I like listening to music and I like to hear what sort of a mess the government are in, but for goodness sakes, does it not occur to people that they train to get away from these sorts of things? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CardiMuscleman said:

The gripe I have is with gyms that are run by local government (the majority of gyms in the United Kingdom) and that gripe is this. Televisions. In every council run gym I have been in there is a television blaring out MTV or even worse the BBC News Channel. Now, I like listening to music and I like to hear what sort of a mess the government are in, but for goodness sakes, does it not occur to people that they train to get away from these sorts of things? 

YES YES YES

Sometimes you can get the terrible mix of both music and the news at the same time. 

I'd say throw on classical music, something light, airy and calming, and if you don't like it then put on headphones if you want something loud and booming to pump you up.

Or Murder She Wrote or some other midday drama.... watching that while I do cardio might actually get me through the ordeal. 

• Upvote 2

After hearing that, I'm happier than ever to belong to a local warehouse gym. Blaring rock music and we can go shirtless, use chalk, drop weights, swear and grunt. And sweat prodigiously as we have no AC. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/1/2017 at 7:31 PM, arpeejay said:

The girlfriend (wife?) of the really BIG bodybuilder was using one of them when I finished my cardio warm-up and five minutes later another woman, an anorexia wannabe (not there yet but working on it, clearly), took the other.

I understand your frustration, and I know I'm completely missing the point here, but I just wanted to point out that the "anorexia wannabe" comment was unnecessary and rather insensitive, both with respect to those who suffer from it (if you're using it as a hyperbole) and to the woman in question (if she actually has it).

• Upvote 1