NotJackedJack

How long do/would you spend in the gym?

If/When I find my muscleman, I have often thought about how to achieve our goals for his body.

While dual incomes of both of us working full time would be nice, I have often thought about dropping him off at the gym near where I work at the beginning of the day. We would meet for lunch and he'd take my car home to shower, rest, and do his chores before driving back to pick me up at the end of my work day. We'd probably go back to the gym for another workout before dinner. I would focus on cardio and, of course, more weightlifting for him.

How plausible would that scenario be?

• Upvote 3

Depending on which country you live in, I would also advice you to take the regulations ruling sickness benefit, payed parental leave and national retirement pension in consideration. If you (the hypothetical muscleman) want to enjoy the benefits of modern society, you (the hypothetical muscleman) also have to fulfil your duty by working. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

That said, I may add, that a gym is also a workplace for some people, and probably a workplace conductive to a fitness lifestyle. So are work as a freelance PT and work in a supplement store, among other professions. Full double income is a must, at least in my part of the world, and at least if you expect to have children and spend old age acceptably wealthy.

Answering this with a definite answer (instead of "How long is a piece of string?"), I would like to spend around three hours a day in a gym (each day relating to a different body part, for instance Sunday Arms, Monday Chest, Tuesday Back,  Wednesday Abs, Thursday Quads, Friday Hams, Saturday Calves. However practically means that I attend my gym at the weekend only (as the buses are free of charge) and arrive at 1017 BST and leave at 1247 BST and on a Sunday arrive at 1345 BST and leave at 1618 BST (for a total of 5 hours per weekend)

I seem to spend a lot less time than many others in the gym - the ones who stare at their phone for 3.5 minutes between sets or stand around chatting. Hey, go nuts if that's what you wanna do, just saying I think if the equipment you need is available and you stay focused, you can thoroughly blast a major muscle group in 45 minutes easily. Get in, BUST YOUR ASS, and GTFO.  :)

I also think distance to the gym and overall hassle coefficient are a huge factor given the amount of time and *consistency* it takes to build muscle. For example, the tenant-gym in my workplace building is a bit crowded and lacks a lot of the gear compared to the LA Fitness a couple blocks away, but ..  I can go from my work chair to the the workplace gym bench in roughly 12 minutes; guess which one I actually end up using most often. Make it reasonably painless to access your gym equipment and you'll be SO much more likely to stick to your schedule and be consistent and build muscle. It's a heuuuge factor for me, anyway..

• Upvote 1

Yep, it's not necessary to spend hours and hours daily in the gym, and probably not a good idea. Those who achieve results do it by working hard, methodically, and regularly, not by spending their lives in the gym.

i'll throw my two cents in.... I spend 45-75 mins at the gym actually working out. I'm sure there are all kinds of things your muscleman could do to occupy his time for 3-4 hours during your morning at work. (getting changed, warming up, workout, maybe a snack, continue workout, cool down, shower, sauna/steam, shake, get dressed, document workout lifts and chart progress, some socialization here and there). 

That sounds ideal to me. I'd spend that much time at the gym if i could...

I'm currently unemployed, though that's changing this weekend, starting a new job.

i currently lift 4-6 days a week (usually closer to 6), taking on average 2 hours. I typically do around 6-8 exercises, usually around 4 sets each. I've been trying to get my rest periods down to around 60 seconds or less (30 secs or less for left/right sets), though when I'm less pressed I wind up around 3 min between. (When I have time, I try to throw in 15 min to a half hour of cardio, but it's been sparse.)

I'm probably going to wind up on night shifts at my new job, but we'll see. Works for me, my gym closes at 10pm weeknights, opens around 5am. If I figure this out right, might just be able to work a shift, hit the gym, then go to bed.

Intensity matters more than duration.  I spend less than an 90 minutes in the gym, usually about 1 hour is good intense workout.  I go to the gym 6 days a week, and two of those  days are ab workouts and posing practice.  The day I don't go to the gym, I still do a 30 minute ab workout.  

• Upvote 1