• Announcements

• CMiller

Help contribute, donate via PayPal or join with a monthly Patreon contribution.   01/01/17

To help raise funds I've introduced a monthly contribution option called Pateron. This service allows you to pledge a monthly contribution plus allows me to offer you some rewards for your contribution. If you have any questions you may PM me. If you'd like to make that contribution please click on the image below:      
    • CMiller

NEWS: Discord Server & Clubs (aka Groups) are back!   08/19/17

Hello everyone I'm back with a couple big updates! Firstly we now have a Discord server, this is a real-time chat messaging client you can run on your phone, desktop, or anywhere. It's a pretty powerful desktop application that enables people to chat together, and with multiple channels you can find people interested in what you're interested in. If you don't already have a Discord account it's pretty easy to get one, just click the following invite link to get started: https://discord.gg/U93PYnB Secondly I'm proud to announce the return of Groups, it's been renamed to Clubs and is now available here: https://muscle-growth.org/clubs/. This system is entirely user generated and allows users to create groups of their own based on any subject they want. Go ahead and try it now, visit the link above to get started if you want to create or join a group!   As always thank you to all of our donators and Patreon contributors who keep the forums going! 
NeverEnough

Enjoy your workout

Absolutely!!!! I grew up in awe of muscle and I've spent my life working on it (devoutly natural) sure it's taken me 25 years but I've done it naturally. Now I get stares comments and compliments. Now I am one of the guys I looked up to wanted to be and was in awe of. So damn right I love gym time. Really love deadlifting. Love wearing compression shirts on chest day. Love going sleeveless compression on arm day. Love the stares. Love it late at night (it's a gritty hardcore 24 hour access bodybuilder power lifter crossfit gym) when shirts come off. I sacrificed for this so I'm living it to the max. My profile pic is real. I built that naturally

• Upvote 1

BGryphon18    493

I will readily admit to scoffing when I first started working out seriously at the idea that I would ever "enjoy" it.  It was work, it was grueling, it was... not fun.

But it was a means to an end.  I was taking enjoyment out of pushing myself and finally being in the place I had dreamed of (though admittedly I dreamed of the results, not the hard work to get there) and I could take enjoyment from that.

For months I never really enjoyed it.  I never looked forward to my workouts because it just meant making myself tired and then sore for the next few days after.

However, as of one year ago, I was put through the worst trauma of my life.  Something that shattered me and broke me so completely that even now, I'm still not "over it", still not back to anywhere near what or who I was.  I was lost, still am to a certain degree, but finding my way out of the woods.  After that point, I struggled DEEPLY with the idea of working out again.  What was the point?  What was the reason?  I would never get to where I wanted to be so why spend all that time and effort on something that would never give me any sense of fulfillment or joy?

Truth is, it has.  But in such an astonishingly different way that I am forever grateful.  For the last year, my mind has been in a near constant state of overdrive.  Racing thoughts, planning, ruminating, just thinking, thinking THINKING all the time.  No rest, no breaks, can't sleep, can't focus on anything for more than 10 minutes at a time... just hell.

But when I workout, I'm putting EVERYTHING I have into it.  It is the one hour of the day where for almost the whole time, I'm 100% in that moment.  Not feeling bad about things that happened, not worrying about things that will happen, just THERE.  I'm focusing on my form, on making the muscle group I'm working WORK, of feeling myself perform each rep, to the point where sometimes, I lose track of the number of reps I've done because I just don't have the brain power to spare for something that simple.

My workouts free my mind for just a bit and allow me to "rest".  My body is at full power but my mind is off.  I cannot even begin to express how much I enjoy that feeling because of the overwhelming relief it brings.  Sure I am working on getting bigger which is something I've wanted for years and years now, but the fact that it is sometimes a secondary effect makes me truly enjoy my workouts now.  Because even through the pain and fatigue of pushing myself physically, I'm actually the most relaxed I will be that whole day. 

I can't say I ever really notice or feel the endorphin release after, but maybe that's because I'm waiting for something else, some other sensation.  But for now, the fact that I can have that brief reprieve is enough for me to enjoy lifting 10x more than I had been for the idea of it turning me into a hulking beast, and that it also allows me to actually be calm and centered, which sounds so contradictory that it's almost laughable.  Ironically you will always find me at my best in the gym when I'm grunting and growling through a set, pushing myself to the limit, whereas meeting me outside the gym will be at greater odds of me ripping your head off :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1