Phoning it In: Chapters 1 and 2

viz90210

Chapter 1

There was a loud knock on the apartment door early in the morning, followed by a soft thump. Those were the traditional noises of a package being delivered. The loud noises roused a figure that was lying down on the older, almost tattered, but surprisingly comfortable, couch. The figure was a man, around 5 foot 5 inches tall, a bit on the short side for a man. He had slightly long, straight, brown hair that reached down to his shoulders and dark brown eyes. He was the typical, caucasian college student. At 21, he didn't care much for his appearance, he wore gray, baggy sweat pants, and a loose fitting white shirt. He yawned as he scratched his head and went over to the door.

He looked at the clock on the kitchen microwave and saw that it was 6 am. “Who delivers a package at this hour, they usually don’t come until like 3 pm. He opened the door and there was a small silver package on the doormat. It was addressed to Caleb Anderson, the only person that lived in the unit.

Caleb went inside and closed the door, perplexed at the package, he didnt order anything recently. He opened the package and it was a cellphone. “Heh, must be a prank phone” he said as he took the phone out and looked it over. It was gorgeous. It was a brilliant silver type metal, the screen was crystal clear and large. He looked it over and on the back it had an atom like symbol with a “Q” in the middle. “Quantum industries huh, this has to be totally fake, one of their phones is worth millions some say.”

Caleb picked out a card that was in the box. “Congratulations! You have been selected to test, and keep, our new RE-ality phone!” it didn’t say anything else. “RE-ality phone? What kind of hot garbage is this?” He looked the phone over some more. It had no buttons, no ports, just some fancy looking cameras at the front and back.

Suddenly the phone buzzed as it turned on. The Quantum Industries symbol appeared as the phone… yawnned? There were some applications already installed. “Reality Bender”, “Augment RE-Ality” and “Picasso”.

The phone yaned again as a sweet sounding, male voice came from the phone. “Hello there new owner!” Caleb instantly threw the phone to the ground in surprise. “Owwww!” the voice from the phone  said as it hit the ground. It buzzed angrily as it said “HEY! Careful with the merchandise! I maybe made of titanium and diamonds but I still feel things!”

Caleb chuckled as he picked up the the seemingly sentient phone and looked it over. “Yeah totally just a prank.” The phone buzzed and zapped Caleb’s hand, causing him to drop it again. “Hey stop that! If you knew how much I actually cost you would be sucking my electronic cock right now!” the phone said as it buzzed angrily.

Caleb picked up the phone from the floor once more “A feisty one aren’t you/ Fine ill bite, what are these apps for?” He asked. The phone, cleared his throat and said “The name is Viz by the way, I am the AI for this phone. And the applications in this phone are designed to modify the outside world. Think of it like augmented reality, only it’s really real.” Caleb chuckled once more and said “Suuuuuuuure” as he opened up the Augment RE-Ality application. This in turn opened up his camera app to take pictures with.

He turned the camera to the front facing camera and took a quick picture of his face. It seemed like a normal picture, but lines pointed at different parts of his face, with options attached to them such as hair, skin color, complexion, nose, etc. Caleb touched the “hair” option as the hair in the picture was highlighted. “Fine I’ll play along” he said as he chucked. He chose the haircut to be fairly short, and for the hell of it, bright pink.

As he chose those options he didn’t notice that his hair was retreating back into his head, growing shorter as it grew shorter in the image. It also grew lighter in color until it reached a bubblegum pink color. “Pretty sick image software, it looks real.” Caleb said. “Why don’t you touch your hair?” Viz replied with a slight chuckle.

Caleb reached up to where his hair normally would be. His eyes widened in shock as he couldn’t feel it anymore. He ran to the bathroom, phone still in hand as he saw that he looked just as the picture looked. His hair was short and a bright pink.

“No way” Caleb said as he touched his new hair.  As he lifted his arm he got a peek into his armpits, the hair was also pink! “What the hell dude!” he yelled at the phone. “I told you I wasn’t joking!” Viz said as he chuckled a little.

Chapter 2

Caleb paced around in his apartment; he was freaking out. He had pink hair everywhere on his body, and he well… kind of liked it to be honest. “How the hell do I explain this hair to anyone! It would be fine if it was just my head but it’s everywhere!” He then looked at the phone and said “This is all your fault! How do I fix it!” Viz calmly responded “Don’t worry about it. There are two things you can do. The simple one is change your hair back. The other one is to alter reality and make it be natural for you.”  

Caleb thought about the two options and decided “Well I kind of like it, so why not bend reality a little” Viz, without being told opened up the “Reality Bender” application. It looked like a traditional gallery of pictures, this one only containing the picture that Caleb had taken of himself. “So how this app works is that you click on the picture you want to and it will list the changes. All you have to do is write a little explanation, and then hit the ‘Bend’ button to change reality.”

Caleb though for a second how to explain the pink hair. He started to type into the text box as he read it out loud. “Caleb was born with a strange mutation that actually occurs in about 25% of the male population. This made their body hair be different colors outside of the “normal” range of colors. Blue, green, and even pink were among the almost infinite amounts of colors that the hair could be. This mutation was actually random, there was no apparent genetic link among family members.” Viz chimed in “Are you sure you want to change such a large portion of the population?” Caleb thought about it for a moment, his thumb shaking over the ‘Bend’ button on the screen. He took a deep breath before finally pushing the button. All of a sudden the entire world shimmered. Caleb got a slight headache as new memories formed in his head. Not only that, outside a quarter of the global male population had their hair change to wild, and wonderful colors. Caleb’s headache subsided as Viz said “Reality Bent. Congratulations! You just did your first world alteration! You get an achievement and 10,000 credits that you can spend in the store once it becomes available.”

Caleb looked a little confused. “Store? Like an app store?” he asked. “Yes. It’s not available yet, but eventually it will. In it you can find more apps that you can buy with the credits you get from changing things.” “Interesting. Any way to know when it will be unlocked?” Caleb queried. “That’s classified information. But have some fun with it and you will get it in no time.”

There was one application left to try out “Picasso”

Viz closed the apps and went to the home screen. “Now you have one app left. Picasso is sort of like a hybrid version of the other two. It lets you take a picture of an object, but it actually captures the object and stores it in the phone for modification and maybe later creation. Like say your couch. You can take a picture of it and it will poof out of existence for you to modify, its as if it never existed to the rest of the world. Then you can poof it back in with the changes done and reality will bend to fit it in.”

“Fine lets try it on my couch” Caleb said as he took a picture of the old couch. As soon as the flash went off the couch disappeared from the living room. It appeared as a 3D model in the phone. Caleb played with it. He changed it to be brand new, super soft and comfortable, and made out of leather. After the changes he placed it back in the original location, popping it back to reality with a flash of light. He smirked as he laid down comfortably with a smirk on his face. This was going to be fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 15

I have a similar idea for a story bit never got it written down.  I do like what you have done. Hope you get out the next chapter soon.

• Upvote 1