Would you like a blog function?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a blog function?

• Yes (I'd post)
    • Yes (I'd read)
    • Maybe
    • No
    • I don't like this feature

I'd like to gather some information about a new feature that I might like to bring to the forum. It's a blogging function that would allow individual members to create a blog and post to it while allowing readers to follow the blogs they like. 

Please leave feedback below. 

• Upvote 3

I see more and more forums doing this to varying degrees.

I doubt I would personally use it, as the main off-topic forum, humor forum, or status updates would cover every general-purpose thing I could think of posting.

But I'm sure others will find good use for it, so I believe it would be a worthwhile feature, if only because I've seen it succeed in many other instances.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of a blog. But to bounce something off of ZospenQomy's post... What if the person who posted an update to his/her blog were able to use something like a tag, or somehow link to the appropriate sub-forum, which would create a post in that area so there's a lot of exposure for the blog? Is that even possible?

5 hours ago, Jim said:

I like the idea of a blog. But to bounce something off of ZospenQomy's post... What if the person who posted an update to his/her blog were able to use something like a tag, or somehow link to the appropriate sub-forum, which would create a post in that area so there's a lot of exposure for the blog? Is that even possible?

That would be useful.

• Upvote 1

Hey, lots of questions.

First, you got example/s of the kind/s of blog/s you have in mind? Can you provide links? Having this/these will answer (and cause) many questions.

More, just randomly ...

Individual members have individual blogs? Or one MG blog to which members can post?  If individual member blogs, do we then follow their blog and not follow members as now?

What creates unity/continuity/coherence in the blog (presuming it's one MG forum blog)? I mean, Member B posts about bulges, then Member S posts a story, then P makes a poll, then N tells about his nutrition plan, then E tells about a new exercise variation, then X links to an x-video, then Q asks text question about N, then B2 posts about bulges, then C comments - visually - about B, then P posts about pushing limits, then B3 posts reply - visual - about B's original comment, then R writes brief review of S's story, then Q2 asks Q a question referencing N, then ... then ... you get the idea.  Random chaos.

Maybe blogs should replace forums? Why? Easily, I can see one advantage.  Currently there are forums named for individual bodybuilders.  Perhaps there could be one blog for all those pics. In this blog, I would require that the athletes always be named. No unknowns.  But are there any other forums that would profit from this kind of consolidation? How about Pushing Clothing to the Limits being combined with the forum about wearing tights?  Could the Bulges thread join them?

Speaking of which ... Blogs will be labor intensive. They will need vigilant administration, curation, and policing to keep them focused and lively, much more so than forums which ebb and flow, mostly ebb, it seems.  (Which is perhaps something for MG staff to think about.  Maybe moribund threads should be put out to pasture.  Or consolidated. Or their content transferred in total or in pieces to another/other thread/s.) If the blog is the most visible public face of MG, i.e. meant to attract participants to the more meaty MG, it needs to be the best representation possible.  Presumably, the blog will be more easily found than MG. How? Why? (Hope it will be. I was looking for something like MG for almost two years before I found MG.)     

Finally, maybe MG simply needs an overhaul, remodeling or at least refurbishment. Why do stories and role play transcripts have to be separated? Are stories and related matters in too many places. Look at the pieces that are here. Then take them apart and reassemble them ... rather than adding an ell, however stylish, vainly hoping it fixes up the whole house. 

WOW! I get going when I  have a head of steam.  Don't mean to sound, much less be, bossy and authoritarian. Text without the benefit of the writer-as-speaker's voice, tone, and inflection is easily (mis)read that way. Just putting out some of my thoughts ... very mildly.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Travis said:

Hey, lots of questions.

First, you got example/s of the kind/s of blog/s you have in mind? Can you provide links? Having this/these will answer (and cause) many questions.

After a bit of search, I've found this. That should answer at least some of your questions.

Each member (or members belonging to some group) could start their own blog (or blogs) which can be read by people designated by the creator/everyone. I doubt we'd lose the 'follow the author' function, but you'd have more options (maybe you want to follow the blog, but not everything the author does).

Maybe blogs should replace forums? Why? Easily, I can see one advantage.  Currently there are forums named for individual bodybuilders.  Perhaps there could be one blog for all those pics. In this blog, I would require that the athletes always be named. No unknowns.  But are there any other forums that would profit from this kind of consolidation? How about Pushing Clothing to the Limits being combined with the forum about wearing tights?

The consolidation of separate threads is already possible on the current forum.

Why do stories and role play transcripts have to be separated?

Because they're different. Stories are usually written by one author (with some exceptions), and 'polished'. Roleplay transcripts are usually written by two people (the roleplayers), and they can contain things like timestamps and usernames.

6 hours ago, flamedelft said:

After a bit of search, I've found this. That should answer at least some of your questions.

Thanks, I'll check it out.