NEWS: VERIFIED ACCOUNTS & NEW DISCORD CHANGES - CLICK HERE

Well I'm not sure I'd call these from the "early days of TV wrestling" (since it's been going on since the 50s) but the late 70s-early 80s were when I went through puberty and seeing these muscular men on TV sure helped me out a lot.

• Upvote 1

In the United Kingdom, our heyday of television wrestling was in the late 1970's and early 1980's when the ITV sporting programme "World of Sport" featured it in direct competition to the BBC's "Grandstand" sporting programme. It was during this time that people like "Big Daddy" and "Giant Haystacks" came to fame, however following the introduction of the, then, WWF on Sky Television the popularity waned and soon the only British wrestling was seen on the Welsh language channel S4C which featured the Welsh star Orig Williams (who died in 2009).

However over Christmas ITV decided to reboot the franchise by holding a one off called "World of Sport Wrestling" featuring the cream of non WWE British wrestlers but so far no viewing figures have been published for it.

This was an introduction to Hulk Hogan in 1979. I remember watching this when it originally aired. I was 11 years old, and I was just amazed. First of all, I couldn't believe the bulge. Then seeing the bizarre but sexy hair trim. And then of course the flexing. I could not believe the size of this man! I was an instant fan.

(By the way, why is this in the off-topic section? Seems pretty muscle-related to me!)

• Upvote 1