Welcome to Muscle Growth Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rugbyjock92

Need suit/tux advice for powerlifter

So my fiance and I are doing a long engagement but after just seeing how suits or tuxes might fit we've come to realize they don't really fit powerlifters well haha. 

Do you have any brands or suggestions? He's 190 and 6ft right now but likely going to be about 205 for the wedding.

Thanks!

I always find it easiest to get suit separates... as in the jacket and slacks are sold separately.  That way you can get things that are closer fits in both without one dictating the size of the other.  The sad news is that you will still have to get some alterations to make things fit right.  Rule of thumb, it is easier to make something smaller than to make it bigger.  So, if the jacket is good at the chest and arms but circus tent at the waist, a tailor can take that in.  Same with slacks, make sure the quads and glutes fit and have them taller down the waist.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:08 AM, Rugbyjock92 said:

So my fiance and I are doing a long engagement but after just seeing how suits or tuxes might fit we've come to realize they don't really fit powerlifters well haha. 

Do you have any brands or suggestions? He's 190 and 6ft right now but likely going to be about 205 for the wedding.

Thanks!

I have a bodybuilder friend from PA (6ft 2, 275lbs) who will be more than suitable to answer this question (as he got married in late 2013 and has the exact same problem). When I next see him, would you like me to ask?

On 1/7/2017 at 5:07 AM, CardiMuscleman said:

I have a bodybuilder friend from PA (6ft 2, 275lbs) who will be more than suitable to answer this question (as he got married in late 2013 and has the exact same problem). When I next see him, would you like me to ask?

Yes thank you so much I'd appreciate that a lot!

My advice is that you shouldn't expect to find a suit that fits "off the rack."

As @gogr2 suggested, you will need to select separates and then have them altered/tailored to fit correctly. Make the purchase fairly close to the time of the event (2-3 weeks before) so his size will not change significantly but there is still enough time for the suit to be altered. If he expects to continue growing in the future, be sure that there is plenty of extra material to "let out" so that he can continue to wear the suit with additional alterations rather than having to replace it.

Like @jimwpb, I personally tend to shop at Men's Wearhouse.