Crossfit Growth

gymguy82

Ted opened Lisa's door for her and then walked around the car and got in.  He started the drive home, "Dinner was nice" he said  "It was" Lisa replied curtly.

"Ok, I"m sorry I didn't say anything about putting myself on the internet, it was the coach idea and I just kinda went along with it" he said

"Ted I don't care if you want to put videos on the internet, I care that you are living 2 lives, and one is clearly more important to you than the other"

He was taken aback, she continued  "Your whole life revolves around the gym and then you come home, talk to me for 5 minutes and go to bed."  he intrurpted "That's not true we went to movies the other night, and Sunday we went on that long walk"  She stopped him, "Ted I'm not here to tick off things we've done or call you a bad husband, but just be honest and admit, right now nothing is important to you than the gym"  He bristled "You and the kids are always the most important thing to me, I'd never put anything above"  she stopped him again "Ted, I know you love me and the kids and we love you.  This isn't about that, this is about our relationship."  He was silent, she continued

"I know neither of us has ever had any huge outside interests, we took care of each other and raised wonderful kids.  We both worked hard and loved our lives together.  You are my best friend Ted and I'm your's and what you want most for your best friend is to be happy."

Ted was very confused and apprehensive about where this conversation was going and Lisa could see it on his face as he drove.

"Ted I don't want to get divorced, I've always been happy with you and I always will be.  But I also don't think there is anything wrong with two adults doing what they want and being happy.  Even before you changed your life I had been thinking about this.  At one point I thought we would be happy even without the passion we once had" Ted had to interrupt "Well I think there has been plenty of passion"  She stopped him  "Trust me Ted I know you have been quite something in bed lately, but there is something missing.  I know you want to please me, but it seems it's all about you now."

"Well what do you want Lisa?"  he said more bitterly than he wanted to.  

"First I don't want either of us to be mad, I want each of us to try new things, explore ourselves.  This isn't about what each of us did or didn't do, this is about us trying to be happy, its no one's fault"

"It sure sounds like my fault" Ted said defensively

"Ted, its not your fault and its not my fault, lets try something different, you'll always be my husband and we will always love each other."

Ted could feel is angry rising "But you want to be with other men, why don't you just say that.  "You want me to go out and fuck other women because I will."  He instantly regretted saying that.

"This isn't easy for me Ted.  I don't want to hurt you, or parade men in front of you and I don't want to see you with other women, but I want us to be happy and find our passion again"

They got home and Ted walked to the guest room, "I guess I better sleep in here"  he was still mad.  She looked at him, " I just want you to be happy Ted"  He shot back "I'm happy with you as my wife"

"I'm still your wife and I know you're not as happy as you could"  she went into their bedroom.

He laid in bed still mad, mad at Lisa.  But that wasn't right, this was his fault, she was right, he hadn't been truly happy and neither was she.  She was right sex with her had become about his ego and his own need for release not about love.  But maybe that wasn't a bad thing, just had to be with the right person.  He felt bad for already thinking about trying to sleep with other women.  He rolled over and for the first time in a long time Lisa wasn't there and more than anything he was sad.

• Upvote 8

Really great writing, and I'm so glad to see a CrossFit story line on here. I've been doing it for several years and the results are amazing -- I can tell you know what you are talking about.

• Upvote 2

Ted couldn't sleep so he picked up his phone and looked at his instagram.  He had 9,500 followers, he still didn't know why.  His dm's were full, he clicked on the icon and started to read.  Most said they same thing "Hey want to rep our clothing line?"  He figured they were all spam and deleted them.  There were a lot from people just saying great job or keep it up, or when are you going to go to the games?  He didn't think he needed to respond to everyone of those.  He clicked over to his photos and saw his latest post, the shirtless picture Casey took.  It had almost 500 likes, and plenty of comments, most saying something like wow, looking big, jacked!, GAINZZZ.  He look at himself in the picture and while it was shocked to see his face attached to that body he didn't think he looked that big.  He still didn't even have a 6 pack yet, he still had plenty of room to improve.

He was tired all through his morning workouts but he pushed through, he couldn't say it was his best day, but he made it work.  At the end he was happy it was his off night and he could go home after work and sleep.  Casey came bounding up to him, with way too much as energy.  "You were kinda dragging today" she said

"Yeah I know, didn't get enough sleep" he said "Oh that sucks, because you're going out tonight" She smiled at him

"No, I'm going home after work and getting in bed"

"Or, you're coming to the bar cuz its my 21st birthday"

"Oh happy birthday, I didn't know, I'm sorry"

"It's ok, but now you kinda have to make it up to me by coming tonight, you only have to have like one drink, I'm sure you can fit that in your diet"

He laughed  "I don't think any of your friends want a random old guy hanging around tonight"

"There will be people from here too so you'll know some people"  She gave him a sad face

"Please don't look at me like that, ok fine, one drink.  And I don't think you should drink too much either"

"Thanks da, oh wiat that sounds creepy, sorry, anyway I'm very responsible and know when to say no"

"He laughed ok good, text me what bar and time and I'll be there"

She smiled and walked away

He got Casey's text as he was getting ready to leave work

"City Bar, 9:30, better be there"

9:30 was pretty late for him at this point, but hey maybe he could take a nap.  He got home and called Lisa's name but heard nothing, she must have been out.  Where would she go?  Who would she be with?  He stopped himself, no, this is her life and he hoped she was out enjoying it.  By 9:30 when Ted got in the car he was half asleep, but he drove to the bar, parked and walked in.  He looked around and didn't see anyone from the box, but he finally saw Casey sitting with about 5 other girls.  He started walking toward them and Casey saw him and stood up.  Now he was awake, she was wearing a tight black dress and high heels.  The dress barely covered anything, he could only imagine what she looked like from behind.  As she walked toward him her thighs relaxed and then flexed with every step, he knew he was starring but couldn't help it.  She gave him a big hug

"Yay, you made it" 

"I said I would, so here I am, where's everyone from the box"

"Oh, they, never showed up, so screw them, come sit down"

Casey introduced him to all her friends whose names he immediately forgot.  He ordered a beer and wondered what everyone as the bar thought about this old guy sitting with these incredibly attractive young women, he just smiled.  He listened to the girls talk and made small talk with Casey, she told him she was going to the bathroom and got up with 2 of the other girls.  An attractive blonde, Katie maybe, turned to him, "So Casey said you have like a ton of instagram followers"

"Well, I don't think its a ton"  But more than I would ever expect

"That's cool, you should be making bank then"

"Well I don't get paid for having people follow me, haha"

"You could be, I know about girls who don't have to work because they have so many followers and companies pay them to post pictures of clothes or makeup or something"

"Huh, I've never heard of that", Ted ordered his 3rd beer and decided it was his last.  Casey came back to the table and he told her he was leaving after this beer.

"Awww, well chug it then and dance with us before you leave"  She pointed to the back part of the bar where a dj was set up and people were dancing.  Now he was terrified, he hadn't danced since his wedding, and judging from what he saw that was not the dancing going on back there.  He took a sip of his beer and Casey put her hand under the bottom of the mug forcing him to keep drinking, the girls cheered when he finished.  It had been a long time since he had done that.  Casey grabbed his hand and led him to the back.  As they walked Ted got a close up view of Casey from the back, her calves bulged and split with every step her heels making them bigger than ever.  His eyes followed her legs up to her perfect bubble butt that her dress barely covered, then to her back that rippled with every movement.

When they got to the dance floor Casey stopped and started moving her body in front of him.  He knew he had to at least try to look like he was dancing or he'd just look like a perv ogling her from behind.  He started moving her hips and backed up into him, her perfect body hard against his, she was moving against him her hands in the air.  She reached her hands back and ran them through his hair as she continued to dance.  He was still "dancing" as she brought her hands down to his waist and pulled on him to get closer to her, she was grinding hard against him.  Her hand brushed his and then grabbed it and put his hand on her hip, he brought his other hand to the other side and could feel his fingers touching the soft skin of her thighs.  His mind was racing, was this really happening?  He had 100 idea's about where he wanted his hands to be next and none were appropriate in public.  

She threw her head back and looked up at him "I"m glad you came"  He smiled "So am I"   

• Upvote 5

Ted and Lisa love each other but the monotomy of the relationship took a hit on them and now its too late to mend things.

Lisa wants to give a try to an open marriage, they can both explore and see what new thing they want in life and how they can work things out together.

I feel like Ted doesnt love Casey but the idea of her. SHe is been the one encouraging him to be better, to grow and just being around her, he feels he can do anything, he feels something new and eciting and he wants to explore that.

• Upvote 1

The song ended and Ted could feel his finger entagled with Casey's.  Her friends came up to them and he quickly pulled his hand back.  "Your not even dancing with us!"  one of her friends shouted and they all joined in.  Casey turned to Ted and gave him a sad look that said I'm sorry.  He took the hint and said he needed to be going, the other girls barely noticed.  Casey gave him a big hug and whispered in his ear  "Thank you so much for coming, sorry about my friends"  They pulled back "Its ok, I was glad to be invited, happy birthday."

Ted walked to his car with a big smile on his face.

He was up and ready to go the next morning even though he didn't get enough sleep.  He moved quickly through his powerlifting workout hitting all his lifts, soon he would be top 5 in every lift on the board.  But his real goal wasn't getting to number 1 in everything, it was to be number 1 by such a large margin his name would never come down. Casey wasn't at their olympic lifting class, he figured she had to be sleeping in.  His bench and shoulder work was helping, he was quickly adding weight to his snatch and clean and jerk.  It was all coming together he could feel it.

Casey came in for work after the class was over, she looked a little rough, but beautiful as always.  "Missed you in class this morning" he said, she replied with a middle finger in the air.

"Thanks for coming, that was awesome of you." she said  "Of course, I had a really good time, I even had fun dancing."  "Haha, sorry for dragging you out there, hope it wasn't too bad"

"Too bad? That's the most fun I've ever had dancing." he said.  "I'm glad, we'll have to do again for my birthday next year" and she turned and walked into the office.

Ted was highly confused, he was pretty sure they were about to kiss last night if her friends hadn't walked up and now, nothing.  He thought about it all day at work, "was she drunker than I thought and now she doesn't even remember it?  Maybe that was just how she danced with every guy and he was reading too much into it?  She could think because of his marriage it was wrong and just a little harmless fun.  But how do you bring up you now have an open marriage without sounding like you expect her to sleep with you.  He was trying to think how to bring it back up when he say her tonight.

Ted got to the box and was getting ready to start his wod, he say Casey "So are you going to film any of my wod for instagram today?"  "Well its not that hard today so probably no reason to, but we're about to get started"  What the hell, ted thought.  Did last night somehow ruin everything and he had no idea why?  He wanted to grab her and ask what the hell was going on.  

He powered through his wod and then did some extra practice off to the side, he was trying to get better at handstand pushups but he admited it was slow going on the gymnastics and balance skills but he knew that would be the hardest for a former non athlete like himself.  As he was getting ready to leave he stopped by the desk to say bye to Casey, "Bye, I hope you feel better, see you in the morning"  She glanced up at him, "Oh yeah thanks, see ya" and that was it.

Ted as past confused and now he was just angry.  First my wife and now Casey to, what the fuck.  She's the one who was all over me and now today she's cold toward me like I did something wrong.  When he got home his wife's car was gone, "she moves quick, or she was already cheating on me, who cares, at least someone is having fun."  In his past this is where Ted would pour himself a big glass of scotch and drink himself to sleep.  

But he was new Ted, new Ted was going to destroy his meals and go to bed and then new Ted was going to forget all this bullshit.  New Ted had goals and the only way new Ted was going to reach those goals was to get in that fucking box and become a fucking monster.  All those "fans" on instagram, all the people at the box cheering, they better be ready

• Upvote 9

The next few weeks Ted was angry and unsatisfied.  He was pushing himself to the extreme but after every workout he felt unsatisfied.  Every meal left him still hungry, every lift left him needing to do more.  He had never been more focused and intense, he knew his lifts were moving him up the boards but he didn't bother to have them documented.  He'd decided to just wait until he would break them all at once, no need for half measures and congratulations for being 5th best.  He didn't do all this to be pretty good, or even really good, he was going to be the best.  

He was quickly packing his stuff after another too easy wod when Jason walked up to him.  "Looks like your stalling out on your progress" Jason said.  Ted turned and looked at him with hate on his face,  "Don't worry about me, just worry about making enough cards with my name on them to put at #1 on your little leader-board."  Jason smirked,

"Whatever you say bro, Look, I'm about to offer you an opportunity, hopefully you won't embarrass the box."  

Now Ted was curious, "What could you possibly want to offer me?"

"An invitation"  

"I don't want to go on a date with you Jason" Ted cut in 

"When did you become such an asshole?"  Ted just smiled

"An invite to the state Crossfit Competition"

Now Ted was shocked,  I've never competed"  

"I know you haven't, I only get 1 for the box and I'm sending you, either you are going to surprise me and not come in last place.  Or you'll get your ass kicked and drop your pissy holier than thou attitude and become a good student."

Ted grabbed the sheet of paper and started filling it out.  He got to the division section and checked male.  He then saw the choices, Teen, Open, Masters over 35, Masters over 40 and Masters over 50.

Jason saw him hesitate, "Just check over 40 so you have a chance, last thing I need is you getting eliminated in the open after the first elimination round."

Ted checked open and threw the paper back at Jason,  "Any advice oh great teacher, I know you've won so much."  Ted said sarcastically.

"Comp's in 2 weeks, nothing I could possibly teach you that you don't already know"  Jason returned his sarcasm.

Casey walked up to Ted, "So you're doing the comp?  that's awesome!"

"Yeah, you going to come watch?"

"Of course I'll be there, I'll be cheering the loudest for you." she smiled

"Great, I'm sure it will help"  and he got his things and left, leaving Casey to look confused

2 weeks wasn't much time to prepare, but Ted spent his time reading everything he could about what to expect.  He wouldn't know exactly what the workouts would be until the day of the comp.  But he had idea's what to expect, the comp would be 3 different workouts, each one would have heats with 10 competitors and they would be timed.  The lowest times would be eliminated each round and in the final all 3 round times would be added together with the lowest overall time being the winner.

He read in the biggest competitions the weights on lifts would be a percentage of body weight, but in a comp like this with so many competitors and not much time they would just have set weights, he knew they would all be light to him.  He knew he had to excel in the lifting sections of each round, he put a lot of his training time into pull ups and bar muscle ups.  He knew he had the strength for them but he had to practice getting into a proper rhythm  making them easy to chain together.

The morning of the comp Ted wasn't nervous, he was ready.  He signed in and got a copy of what the first workout would be and what heat he would be competing in.  He people checking him in, gave him a little hesitation when he said open and not one of the masters divisions.  

The first workout looked like it was to weed out the weakest competitors first which was good for Ted.  The workout would start with hang cleans with 145lbs which was barely even a warm up to Ted, next was a single hand kettle bell snatches with 50lbs another nothing weight to Ted.  Overhead squats were next with 145, no problem, finally they would finished with 20 20lbs wall balls and then a sprint back to the beginning to start again.  This set would be repeated 5 times, Ted smiled

As Ted watched the opening heats he saw no one who impressed him.  He stopped watching and sat waiting for his turn.  He could feel his adrenaline building, she started pacing waiting for his time, going over each lift in his head, he heard them call his heat.

He didnt even look at this comptitors. he was competing against the clock not them.  He took his place over the hang clean bar and waited, he heard the go and exploded into his first hang clean.  He flew through his first round and he was sprinting back to start, as he ran he looked to his right and left and saw most of the competitors were on the wall ball with 2 just reaching it.  He started his next round, and then his next, and his next, Ted felt strong as he went, no chance at failure.  Each time he ran back he noticed his competitors were further and further back, instead of letting off he pushed harder.  This round was over and he needed to finish as fast as possible to get ready for the next.  He finished his final wall balls and started his sprint back, he could here the crowd roaring for him.  He crossed the line and put his hands on his hips to catch his breath, the guy timing his lane looked at the stop watch in shock, "Hey man, I don't know about all the times, but you're in first and its not really close."  Ted nodded to him

The next heat seemed like it was designed to break the endurance of anyone who went too hard in the first heat.  This started with 30 box jumps, then 50 meters carrying a 100lbs sack, then 1000m row and 10 burpees, in a twist, instead of going back to the start you stayed where you were and then went in reverse order, starting this time with the burpees.  Ted was excited to test his cardio shape, this workout was harder on him because of his size.  He stayed in the top 10 losing to much smaller guys but he had beat them all convincingly in the first heat so he still held his lead in the overall.

The last heat was a mix of the first 2, a true way to prove who was the strongest mentally and physically.  Several of the competitors left looked tired but Ted was ready, this was it.  Now was his time, the only thing going through his mind was one word:  "Dominate"

The workout was brutal, first each competitor would wear a 15lbs weight vest to make the whole thing harder.  First up would be 10 pull ups, then 10 bar muscle ups, then 20 back squats with 185lbs, then a 50 meter tire flip and then finish with 10 deadlifts at 225lbs, again 5 times.

Ted started slow in the pull ups and muscle ups he was several places behind the leaders, on the squats the started catching up, exploding up and down catching up with each rep.  The tire flip was no problem, he went down and brought the tire up then pushing hard at the top to throw the tire forward.  He was almost even with the leaders when he got to the deadlift, maybe 4 reps behind the leaders.  The deads were nothing to him he flew threw them.  As he sprinted back he looked around and saw the others looking at him wondering where he had come from.  He knew they couldn't build a big enough lead on him in the pull ups and muscle ups, he had them, he thought he could see the fear building on their faces.

They again built a lead on Ted in the first 2 exercises, maybe even a bigger lead this time.  Ted knew it didn't matter, his size and strength was too much for them.  He blew through his squats going faster than before, he could feel his adrenaline surge as he got to the tire flip even with the leaders, the tire was nothing.  He was first on the deads and built his lead further, he even saw some of the guys struggling with the weight.  Again the other leaders caught up on the first 2 exercises but this time it was only enough that they were equal going into the squats.  Now it was over, Ted built his lead further with each rep, by the time he was going into his final set of deadlifts the closest competitior was just finished his final muscle up.  Ted never slowed down.  He put everything into his final reps, all the work he had put in, all his frustration, everything into this last rep.  He let out a huge roar on his last rep and threw the bar down.  He crowd was going insane, all for him.  He brought his arm up from his side and let out another huge roar taking in all of the admiration from the crowd.  He tore his shirt off and threw it into the crowd, the crowd got even louder, he stood there, his body so pumped he felt like his skin might tear.  He could feel his pecs heaving up and down with each breath, him forearms and calves were covered in thick veins, with each exhalation his abdominals formed a perfect thick 6 pack, he could see most of the crowd holding up their phones taking pictures and videos.

• Upvote 10

Ted saw Casey walking toward him through the crowd and when she got to him she practically jumped into his arms and gave him a huge hug. 

"You were incredible, holy shit, everyone in the crowd was talking about you!"  "In the last heat when the other guys got that big lead at the beginning in the pull ups and muscle ups all the people around me thought you were done, but I knew you were going to come back."  "I told them you were going to kill them in the lifts, how did it feel?"

"It was like nothing I've ever felt, just this huge rush that has lasted all day."  "During that last heat I knew I just had to get to the lifts and when I started catching up to them it just pushed me harder."

"Yes!  I could totally tell, its like you were getting stronger the longer you went."

"That's how it felt, I knew I was the strongest, the weights they hard on the bars were nothing to me."

That was quite a show you put on after you won."  She laughed

Ted realized he didn't have a shirt anymore, "Yeah it was just like this huge release when I won, and the crowd was going wild, my shirt felt too tight haha, so off it went."

"Haha, yeah up close now you look pumped out of your mind"

Ted brought his hand and forearm up and done a few times flexing his bicep, he could see Casey staring at his arm while he did it.  

" Most people don't actually grow while they are training for a comp"  she was still staring at his body

"Most people don't dominate like I just did either, I'm on a different fucking level"

Casey smiled at that comment,  "I never knew you were so...dominant."

"You haven't seen anything yet, the next time you see me with my shirt off, I promise, it's going to blow your fucking mind."

He turned and walked away to get his trophy.

Ted was interviewed for a few crossfit websites and by the time he woke up the next morning his instagram followers had more than doubled.  He had over 25,000 followers now he was getting dm's from all kinds of companies offering his sponsorship's, but none offering him money, just free clothes or supplements.  A few offered him a commission on any sale of supplements or clothes if the person clicked through his profile to buy something.  He told them he would do it, but he wouldn't sign any exclusive contract.  He was banking on himself to do even better.

But now he had work to do, he had promised to blow Casey's mind, he stepped on the scale, 221lbs, the heaviest he had ever been.  About 5lbs gain in the last month or so, plus he was getting leaner, his abs were beginning to carve out in his mid section.  In another month he wanted to be 230lbs of muscle, he was already more muscular than he ever would have dreamed.  But now he just wanted more, at first it was just about being good at crossfit, and then it was being strong also.  Now he wanted everything, he wanted people to respect him because he was the best and the strongest.  He also wanted people to stare when he took his shirt off, he saw the look in Casey's eyes when she watched him flex.  He wanted to see that look in every woman's eyes.  Maybe it was time to try online dating, he'd think about it.

But first he was going to go into the box tomorrow and own every lifting record on that fucking wall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6