• Announcements

• CMiller

Help contribute, donate via PayPal or join with a monthly Patreon contribution.   01/01/17

To help raise funds I've introduced a monthly contribution option called Pateron. This service allows you to pledge a monthly contribution plus allows me to offer you some rewards for your contribution. If you have any questions you may PM me. If you'd like to make that contribution please click on the image below:      
    • CMiller

NEWS: Discord Server & Clubs (aka Groups) are back!   08/19/17

Hello everyone I'm back with a couple big updates! Firstly we now have a Discord server, this is a real-time chat messaging client you can run on your phone, desktop, or anywhere. It's a pretty powerful desktop application that enables people to chat together, and with multiple channels you can find people interested in what you're interested in. If you don't already have a Discord account it's pretty easy to get one, just click the following invite link to get started: https://discord.gg/U93PYnB Secondly I'm proud to announce the return of Groups, it's been renamed to Clubs and is now available here: https://muscle-growth.org/clubs/. This system is entirely user generated and allows users to create groups of their own based on any subject they want. Go ahead and try it now, visit the link above to get started if you want to create or join a group!   As always thank you to all of our donators and Patreon contributors who keep the forums going! 
Sign in to follow this  
Beefybro21

Too many calories?

Beefybro21    44

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a diet plan in a google doc, because i'm a dork.  Im breaking down the macros of each meal to see what exactly i would be consming.  I'm 5'11 and currently 181 at the beginning of my bulk, without following this diet.  many have said at my size i should aim for 2600-3000 cals a day.  Im averaging 3000 in my spreadsheet but havent added in my serious mass shake, and that would bring it to 5200 a day.  I know consuming that much would make me need to increase my workouts by ALOT.  Im working out 4 times a week now... my goal is to beef up.  Im not looking to be cut, but thick and solid.

Thoughts boys?

viennabeef    655
16 hours ago, Beefybro21 said:

I'm working on a diet plan in a google doc, because i'm a dork.

Nah. It's because you understand that you can't just haphazardly throw weights around and expect to grow. Thoughtful planning for both workouts and nutrition is hugely important. So if you're a dork, then you're a muscle-dork!

My rough calculations (very rough since I don't really know your activity or body fat levels; I aimed to overestimate since you're bulking rather than underestimate) put your maintenance calories at about 2900. Based upon that, your bulking calories would be somewhere between 3400 and 3600.

If you actually manage to get 5200 calories each day, you'll have plenty of fuel for muscle growth, but you'll put on a lot of fat in the process. More fat than muscle. You won't be able to exercise enough every day to burn all those excess calories. I know you're not interested in being lean, but 5200 calories a day will make you look soft rather than solid. 

For reference, I'm 6'4" 217#. My maintenance calories (based on actual tracking of my intake and monitoring of my weight rather than just calculation) are 3300. For my current bulk I'm consuming 4000 calories per day and have had great results thus far - up 17 pounds in 7 weeks. Some fat, but mostly muscle. The weight gain is only that high because I started bulking right after an extended cut. The rate at which my weight is increasing has started to level off now.

I'd recommend you start at 3000 calories and if your weight hasn't gone up after 2 weeks, increase by 200 calories each week until it does.

• Upvote 4

swolegoal    1420

If you jump from 3000 to 5200 calories a day, chances are, you'll fuck up your metabolism.

Small increments. Assess whats going on with your body. Repeat.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, swolegoal said:

If you jump from 3000 to 5200 calories a day, chances are, you'll fuck up your metabolism.

Small increments. Assess whats going on with your body. Repeat.

Small increments and figuring out how your body works and what it needs is not a formula it takes time and an intuitive sense.  Once you dial it in is when real progress can start, it is not easy.

• Upvote 1

When people ask me about my diet as if they would like to copy it I think they do not understand themselves.  Everyone has a different metabolism, so you have to figure out what works for you and to do it gradually or else your gains will only be fat.  As you get larger you will need more calories just to maintain that size and growth will take a greater amount of calories.