Scriptboy

Forum Mission, Purpose and History

ravenweremuscle    21199

S34N,

While I agree that there are a lot of FMG sites, you can't restrict this place from not having any. That would lead to having a VERY marginalized site and you would be lucky to have 500 members tops. CMiller et al have so far managed to successfully transition from having a small footprint to being a manageable larger one without being too public or mainstream.

I can understand why they would want to do this to grow the site, but I also understand that there are reasons why you don't want it to get 'too big'.

• Upvote 1

Mikeytron    1279

So I've been lurking on the various iterations of the forum since... gee, 2001 or so? I hesitated from participating for a long time (up until this year) for a number of reasons.

5 hours ago, ravenweremuscle said:

S34N,

While I agree that there are a lot of FMG sites, you can't restrict this place from not having any. That would lead to having a VERY marginalized site and you would be lucky to have 500 members tops

There's one male muscle growth forum on the internet: this one - even though the fetish is not all that uncommon, I've come to learn. How many members did the forum have back in the day when it was explicitly male muscle only? It was a LOT more than 500, and there are more people online now than there were then. 

I think if female muscle growth became more prevalent here, I'd probably stop visiting, unless it was kept in a separate subforum, or some sort of filtering was possible. There are other places online that cater to FMG, and really no other place that caters to MMG. This forum feels like a bit of a 'safe space' the way a gay bar also feels 'safe,' if that makes sense.

• Upvote 3

goremeridian    968

What a terrific topic! I think I stumbled onto the old site sometime around 2006, 2007, a 26/27 year-old with a fetish for superhuman strength, freaky muscle and grotesque size who felt very much alone in the world. The idea of a 'community' was more than just appealing to me - it was a lifeline. 

I have always told stories about muscle, strength and size, from daydreaming with my strength-obsessed best friend as a teenager about what he would do if he became a billion times stronger than Superman, to keeping my horny boarding school mates entertained through the long nights by creating roleplays about them becoming huge muscle gods. 

But while everyone else seemed to grow up, grow out of it, I never did. 

On the outside, I was sleeping with women, acting straight and pretending to be normal. On the inside, I was squirming. I sketched endless doodles and penned infinite tales of hypermuscular men to jerk off to. Once done, I would tear these pictures and stories up into hundreds of little pieces and distribute them in different bins so that no-one would ever know my dark little secret. 

I had numerous girlfriends - and, for a while, a fiancee - who never knew this side of me. Talk about living a double life. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde had nothing on me. And much like that fictional pair, I was finding it harder and harder to repress my wilder and less-socially-acceptable side. 

Then I discovered The Evolution Forum. 

I had just moved to Central London to start an advertising career. It was a fresh start. A clean slate. I introduced myself to my new flatmates, and work colleagues, as a bisexual man (a good way of testing the waters.) I bought myself an Apple Macbook, my first real computer. I started going to the gym. 

I was busy searching for pictures of huge bodybuilders on the Macbook so that I could imagine them 100, 200 times more muscular, when I must have typed in some kind of magical formula, because my search led me to The Evolution Forum. 

It was like everything clicked together. Here I was - a new job, a new city, a new openness and honesty about my sexuality - and to top it off, I had just discovered a site full of people with the same extreme fetish as me. Suddenly I wasn't alone.

And I haven't looked back since. 

I was a lurker for a long time. I got to know authors' names fairly quickly, and was in awe of them (and still am) for their honest, sexually-charged writing. I still get tongue-tied if some of those writers message me or say hi on YIM, because I am so indebted to them, and cannot help but idolise them. (Rex, iceman, muscl4life, RPJ, O'Meslissokomos, and so on and so on...) I wrote my first story - and only story - on the old site, 'With great power comes a huge body count', and discovered the tremendous thrill that comes from sharing my ideas with similar-minded people. I was only tangentially aware of some of the issues on the old site, but I was overjoyed to see that, despite The Evolution Forum's closure, its spirit lives on here. (Though I still refer to this site as 'the evo forum'.) 

It has been an incredible ten years. Thanks to this site, my confidence has improved, my writing skills have gotten a little better, and my - for want of a better word - Hyde is well and truly sated.

Is that the 'purpose' of this site? I don't know. All I can say is, I am really, really looking forward to the next ten. 

GM

• Upvote 7

gogr2    273

I remember finding the yahoo newsgroup waaaay back in 1996 while in college.  I remember chatting with someone on an AOL chat room that directed me to the group.  Back then, People would write stories and post them to the newsgroup effectively sending everyone an email of your story. I don't recall exactly when, but there was a point when the stories were filling up mail boxes too quickly.  Thus, the original Muscle Growth Evolution site was born.  The original site was meant to house and make it easier to read the stories instead of filling up mail boxes with stories you may not be interested in reading.  In the initial years, the forum had a story section, a place to look for RP, and that's about it. But as the original forum title stated, it evolved.  Soon many of us didn't just want to talk about fantasy but also about reality, evolve ourselves into muscle. As technology progressed, the site moderator added pictures, videos, chat, etc.  Some internal strife happened, things became messy, and the original moderator shut the site down. This site and one other were born from the ashes.  As the predecessor forum was about muscle evolution, so has this forum evolved. I think more and more of us are drawn to making muscle a reality, but still find the stories erotic and inspirational.  I think we can all agree that we love muscle and that should be at the core of whatever mission statement or purpose might be created.

• Upvote 3