Tim18Germany

Pecs - Different exercises necessary?

Different exercises for pecs are a good idea because mixing up a workout will help stimulate growth in strength and size.  I am a big fan of dips, and although they can be more of a tricep exercise they are a great pec builder.  Of course bench press is still king of chest exercises but I would say that dips are a close second.

I'm a little late to the party (just joined) but have been arguing / evaluating this issue lately as a trainer. (I'm a competitive BBer too). You cannot shape a muscle or work parts of it, period. The pecs SEEM  like an exception, but that is a myth. (And it does really feel like you are working "upper" pecs on incline, when the upper part of the chest bunches up because of the angle.) My view has been confirmed by studies using EEG. Don't worry about upper/lower/inner/outer anything. Inclines, etc are fine, but the angle won't change the muscle contraction.

And in any case, never understood why guys were trying to shape their pecs, when didn't have much pecs to start with.

I love the feeling of a pumped chest.  If I am doing anything on the bench,  I was taught to press the small of my back into the bench and  imagine trying to clamp onto the bench with my shoulder blades. It's easy to remember, and  for me, I've found that in that position I get better results with less weight .  I work out alone in my basement, so this tip is great when I am maxed out and have to roll the bar over my nuts to get up.

This message represents the official view of the voices in my head.  Your results may vary.

• Like 1